Quantcast

floating brake

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't spend much time on my DH bike but I don't see what the big deal is with rear braking forces. Fork dive seems to affect the handling and controllability of a bike much more than anything the rear end does.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
ska todd said:
We believe that using a floating brake will not enhance ride quality of the bike in anyway and may actually be detrimental to performance of the bike. The dw-link design is the most advanced suspension design currently in use on mountain bikes. Factors such as braking performance were heavily considered when the bike was designed. The dw-link design is a complete package.

-ska todd
I'm glad you have a succesful product and believe in your product. But you could fill a convention center in vegas with bike companies that make similar claims....

And every designer gives "heavy consideration"to the braking forces when designing a frame. And in doing so, invariably makes a decision on what to do with them, based in part on his theories, beliefs, experience and preferences. As we see by the diversity in the marketplace, not everyone has the same vision (yeah!).

You would not be the first, and I'm sure not the last, to decide, with out so much as a test, that a floating brake may not be beneficial to your bike.

But a simple test may reveal some beneficial aspect that wasn't anticipated, or some negative trait that wasn't anticipated.

In any case, our preference is to work with all manufacturers regarding rod attachment and floater geometry, so they understand what's going on, and can offer the information to their customers if desired.

Brian

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
gnurider1080 said:
brian, im just wondering, have you ever ridden a sunday?
No I haven't, but I hear great things about them. If you're asking why I've decided a floater would work on that bike before I've ridden it, it's a simple matter of the physics involved, and my design preferences relating to those.

I prefer no brake interaction with the rear suspension. Again, I would say most of our customers agree with that philososphy, as they seem very happy with their purchases.

It may be possible that this suspension design is superior, but in no way should that mean that it can't be improved.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
- seb said:
Sure, maybe it's just that my DH2 was rubbish under braking for some unknown reason... but then the two bikes had similar amounts of travel and pivot placement so I'm not seeing that.
think you're letting a little bit of nostalgia get to you there, DH2s only had 5.5 inches of travel (and a lovely Fastrax shock)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Westy said:
I don't spend much time on my DH bike but I don't see what the big deal is with rear braking forces. Fork dive seems to affect the handling and controllability of a bike much more than anything the rear end does.
the use of a floater (properly tuned) can help reduce dive. The floater allows for a more controlled squatting which helps level the bike. Single pivots without floaters will also squat, but that effect gets negated when the bike breaks traction and causes the suspension to unload (that causes the perception of jacking and chatter). Basically if you stabilize the rear, you'll stabilize the front.

On a bike like mine with a really high pivot, alot of squat can be produced and controlled, so the bike essentially brakes neutral.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
OGRipper said:
I think they are simply reserving the right to not warranty a frame if they determine that a floater or other mod played a role in a failure.
of course thats fair, but they implied an outright nullification since they claim they can't be 100% certain it didnt play a role. Now if a floater bolted near the BB caused a headtube failiure, i'd be more concerned about the overall design in general.....or the black magic properties of Therapy components....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
scottishmark said:
think you're letting a little bit of nostalgia get to you there, DH2s only had 5.5 inches of travel (and a lovely Fastrax shock)
Put a 2.75" stroke (IIRC) Risse Jupiter 5 shock on though and I had over 7.5" of travel. I don't really know how much my GT has, 8-8.5" at a guess, so it's not a million miles away.

Wasn't perfect though, made my BB a bit high:

http://www.sebfrost.co.uk/bikes/dh2/