Quantcast

floating brake?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
I have a single pivot bike and have the option of running a floating brake. I would have to buy a new wheel and add about a pound and a half to my frame. so, my question is, should i run it? Im coming off a giant faith (which i believe is pretty neutral). Is brake jack that big of a deal ?

I did a search but nothing seem to come to a conclusion.

my bike is simple single pivot (no linkage or idler pulley), and the pivot is at mid level (think cove peeler) if that affects your answers

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
My advice would be to run the bike set up without the floater and see if it bugs you or not.

Its a personal preference, some people mind the effects of brakes on suspension and others don't. I would suggest finding out where you stand before you dump a load of cash and add significant weight (and possibly noise) to your frame.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Like Demo said, its a personal preferance. Personally i dont mind either way. I have ridden both, and dont have a problem with either, I like leaving my brakes as they come on the bike, as far as binding, hop, jack.....Whatever you want to call it, just lay off the brakes in your corners and it wont be a problem anyways

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've owned several single pivot DH bikes over the years. Brake jack is almost always an issue, especially with high forward pivot bikes.
I've decided that it really comes down to the rider and the riders skill level. I owned a Super 8. It was my first full on DH bike. It had horrible brake jack and would skip over washboard and other rough terrain while braking. I also owned a Balfa BB7. I really couldn't tell the difference with or without the floater.

What terrain do you ride and how good of a rider are you. The Super 8 was early in my riding career, so I had a bad habit of dragging the rear brake through turns. If you ride a lot of resort trails with bad braking bumps, the floater is nice.

I now ride a DHR, and I have and disciplined enough to lay off the brakes in the turns. I wouldn't sacrifice the weight for a floater now.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Everyone says, that most of the breaking is done on the front. Someone very nice at Foes one day took the time on the phone to explain to me the concept of floating break, but I would figure it wouldn't make that much of a difference with front break being the majority. That's all I use. But then again, I've never had the pleasure of riding a floater let alone a VPS. :hmm:

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
i am fairly experienced. my riding consists of half jump/drop type freeride (so not necesscarry) to whistler (will be there for a week). I also race collegiate in colorado. it is a forward mid level pivot.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I've owned several single pivot DH bikes over the years. Brake jack is almost always an issue, especially with high forward pivot bikes.
I've decided that it really comes down to the rider and the riders skill level. I owned a Super 8. It was my first full on DH bike. It had horrible brake jack and would skip over washboard and other rough terrain while braking. I also owned a Balfa BB7. I really couldn't tell the difference with or without the floater.
The BB7s, without a floater, has more brake interference (technically it's pro-squat, not jacking, but whatever) than pretty well any other bike out there. What you felt on each bike was either in your head or due to a different factor (shock/setup perhaps).

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think it depends on the layout of the suspension. The high forward pivot bikes benefit from a floater, IMO. I had an older DHI and I don't think it would have benefited from a floating setup

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
The BB7s, without a floater, has more brake interference (technically it's pro-squat, not jacking, but whatever) than pretty well any other bike out there. What you felt on each bike was either in your head or due to a different factor (shock/setup perhaps).
I think it had more to do with my skill level. That was my point. Better riders with better habits have less to gain than newer riders on bad trails. If all I rode was a-line, I would want a floater.
I know Fabien Barel used one, but I think that was more marketing than anything else since you can't not use one on that bike.
If you are an expert level rider or better, I would save your money and weight.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The spots its going to help the most on are on washboard braking into corners in race courses and when you aren't familiar with a trail and its braking points.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Link us to the Battle Axe pics please.
On the BB7 i liked no floater,the back would squat a bit as the front dived under brakes,kept the geo semi consistent.Does pack up the shock though,but not much.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
I now ride a DHR, and I have and disciplined enough to lay off the brakes in the turns. I wouldn't sacrifice the weight for a floater now.
I'm thinking of getting a DHR for my next bike (currently on a Sunday) but am concerned about the effects of brakes on the rear suspension. I don't want to run floaters either - cant be bothered with the weight and complexity and noise.

My riding is getting to the point where I am getting disciplined as you comment above. I'm more interested in how the suspension is working braking into the corner.

How do you think the DHR works on the anchors? Some SP bikes perform better than others and I 'm not overly concerned about it, but want to do my research before laying down the cash.

My previous experience is on an I-drive (not bothered by the effects) and VPP (again not bothered) and early SC heckler (hated the effect).

Any other monkeys on DHRs - your comments welcome.

Cheers

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
That battle axe does look like a Brooklyn but it is not the same too. It looks like a really sweet bike. I'm running a floating brake on my foes and i think it work quite well. I have not run it with out it thought too so i really cant say which is better.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I love the floater on my BMW. To be honest, all the prior bikes I've ridden have had floaters, besides my arrow and Prophet. Those bikes suffered terribly under braking, I thought, and the bmw is still smooth as butter. It's worth it, IMO, but do as you will. I wouldn't think a brake arm would add a pound and a half, but if you say so...I'd try and pick up a cheapo 135mm wheel, then you can at least experiment a little.