Quantcast

Flooding in North Carolina... (pics)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Thought you guys might enjoy these pictures.

Recently, we got a bunch of rain from hurricane Alberto. We got several inches, but Raleigh got it the worst. The Tar River was brought up to the highest it's been since Floyd flooded everything in '99 and it took a few days for it to get down to us. The other night we went to check it all out.

This used to be a parking lot:

A nice little walkway built about 8 ft. above the river:

Heed the sign... after all, you wouldn't want a ticket:

We also went to a park nearby and figured we could see how much the ponds had been brought up. We.. Uh.. Couldn't go very far into the park. I'm glad they had a warning sign, though, or I might not have noticed.

The pavillion, and there used to be a playground back behind it that is now totally submerged:

The geese were having a blast, though:

We fed them a McDonald's apple pie... Well, actually, they ran at Jenn when she had food and she got scared, flung it, and sprinted for the car :D

Is this really so scary?

...in her defense, the parents were pretty mean last time we were there and were hissing and threatening to bite us. Apparently they're calmer now and came right up to us looking for more food.

...gratuitous flower shot to wrap it up. These bloom on what Jenn says is some type of sumac. They're cool, anyway. I'd like to take some proper shots of some one of these days:

Hope you enjoyed...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Bearmntpicnic said:
man the sequence of those pictures were pretty funny, FLOOOD PICTURES, flood pictures with ducks, garden, close up of ducks, FLOWERS.
If I had posted them in the sequence I had taken them, it would have been even more confusing :p

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Yeah the flooding was crazy. In one of the local Cary neighborhoods, their greenway that was around the neighborhood was completely underwater. In my neighborhood there were streams that overflowed onto the road that were usually about 7-8 feet below it!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
robdamanii said:
I know Nikon is clearing out the D50s. Might be worth looking into if you're in the market for one.
Nah, gotta channel all of my money into school for the time being. :wonky2:

I won't be in the market for a while. Maybe by then the D200 will have come down in price... :drool: