Quantcast

Floor pump?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Joe Blow, cheap and awesome.
1595034918298.png

EDDIT- The gauge isn't exactly accurate but it has been out by the same amount all its life so it has been consistent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Joe Blow Mountain X

High volume pump. Great for inflating tubeless. So far I have 100% success is seating beads. 60psi limit ain't gonna work with traditional road tires if that is a requirement.

If nothing else the gauge has sufficient resolution to actually set things within a half psi or better. Something the traditional 180psi gauges could never do.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Have had a Joe Blow Max for several years that I have been quite happy with.
The gauge is out a few psi compared to my digital gauge but is consistent which is the more important factor.

Does the job well and the price was right.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bell Air Attack, it was either $15 or $20 at the supermarket. High volume, has a gauge. I also have one of those Blackburn Chamber things, but the idea is pretty dumb. It does NOT pump anywhere near as much air per/stroke, meaning it's quite pathetic to try and set tubeless without the air tank, and the air tank should really be bigger and the inherent flaw compared to a compressor is that you can remove the valve core with a compressor, stick a nozzle down there, and get WAY more air flow to set the tire, which you can't do with this. Bare minimum, these damn things should have some way to attach to the valve without the core. It also failed and I had to bring it back and switch it out at the shop. So with that new tubeless technique to pre-set the bead with a tire-lever, the Bell has not failed over dozens of settings and it's just way better to use, pumps way more air way faster.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Oooh those SKS Airflex Minis sound like my sort of pump-
The material combination of aluminum and plastic carbon with the SKS embossment make the pump a must-have for bikers with a sense of design.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Only improved if it was labeled artisan huh? Is lenzyne stuff any good? All the Topeak pumps I have looked at are out of stock.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have the Joe Blow with the compressor for tubeless. Works almost as good as a real compressor, when you don't want to bring one on travel.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Only improved if it was labeled artisan huh? Is lenzyne stuff any good? All the Topeak pumps I have looked at are out of stock.
The Lezyne pump I have is high volume and pumps well most of the time. The nozzle is a screw on type that I like. It also requires you let out the pressure in the hose with a button before unscrewing. All my friends however almost break it every time they use it...
Occasionally something sticks and the pump puts in pressure but slowly lets out the pressure if you take too long before the next stroke. When this happens the gauge is more of a suggestion as it’s constantly moving up then down.Haven’t been able to get to the bottom of that. Usually forget about it and it’s fine on the next go round. It does look cool. Had it about 8 years.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
NOT a fan of Lezynes, as they have unscrewed valve cores too many times for my liking.
Do you push the button?

I had one on my bike for a little while but it had no dust wiper and the bracket flexed so much that the pump too loads of paint off my frame, lasted maybe three months then went in to the scrap metal bin.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have some sort of cheap Filzer pump that I keep in my car. The gauge doesn't really work, but it pumps air and doesn't unscrew valves.

In the shop I have a Topeak Joeblow Booster pump. It wasn't the cheapest, but it works and has mounted every tubeless tire that I've tried with it.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I have a lezyne too and dislike the screw chuck. They do make a quick attachment you can just pop onto the chuck so you can just ram it onto your valve and go. It’s ok but does not clamp into the valve. Because I’m stubborn, I just ordered a topeak hose assembly to swap onto the lezyne pump (which is pretty nice). Will report back.

Edit: successfully spliced a topeak hose and 2 way adapter into the Lezyne hose. Was hoping to do a full replacement but the inner diameter of the topeak is too small compared to lezyne and won't fit over the nipple at the base of the pump. The topeak hose does fit (very snuggly) into the lezyne hose so I rammed it in there and secured with a worm drive clamp. Very secure and moves air nicely.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Because I’m stubborn, I just ordered a topeak hose assembly to swap onto the lezyne pump (which is pretty nice). Will report back.
I have a pretty old Blackburn floor pump which had a lifetime warranty, the chuck wore out after not very long and the LBS couldn't get a replacement.
Will have to do the same as you and find something with a similar hose setup, it was a nice pump when it worked.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have a basic floor pump, same as @canadmos. It's mostly for top ups.

For setting up tubeless, I bought a small compressor on sale at the hardware store. At $60, it was cheaper than most mid-range pumps. And it's actually small enough to bring on road trips (did that once, but wasn't necessary, so haven't done it again).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Joe blow for the garage, and Jenson air blaster thing for the basement shop. The joeblow has been great for a long time, but eventually the hose got a hole. I shortened it by half a foot and it still works....someday I might get another hose when the head eventually fails. The jenson is great for setting tubeless and OK for regular pumping. It seems to hold a lot of residual pressure, which means I need more pumps per tire, but I can also pump then flip the switch to "TANK" which allows me to remove the head without air blasting out.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Spesh Air tool mtb floor pump, 508ccm volume and a decent gauge, been flawless for 6 or 7 years now and I still have the replacement seal head that came with it in my spares box.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Spesh Air tool mtb floor pump, 508ccm volume and a decent gauge, been flawless for 6 or 7 years now and I still have the replacement seal head that came with it in my spares box.
I think that's the one I have in the garage (well, it's a S and has a gauge). A solid all around pump. Never been able to seat a tubeless tire with it, but I have a compressor right there for that.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
The cylinder is about an inch in diameter, all the others are noticeably smaller. I had some good results seating tires with it but also have an extra pressure cask for the sturdy ones.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I have a blue one that says NASHBAR on it. It's worked good for 15 years.

With DT and Stans rims, I can seat Maxxis, Schwalbe and Miche tires with any floor pump.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
challenge accepted! mounting a dhr dd to my ex471 this weekend. 'mon over! plenty of cold beer! :D
I have to say, this works pretty damn good. Not 100%, but damn close, and I kind of half-ass it too. There's a bunch of BS in the beginning about normal stuff, but the key is essentially "pre-mounting" the bead.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Anyone try a Silca pump?
Yes I have one. I've used as my floor/travel pump since like 1997. It's a little rusted, but still works, even the pressure gauge. Back then you could buy any replacement parts for it, from handle to hose and everything in between. Not sure these days. And I haven't needed to replace anything yet.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yes I have one. I've used as my floor/travel pump since like 1997. It's a little rusted, but still works, even the pressure gauge. Back then you could buy any replacement parts for it, from handle to hose and everything in between. Not sure these days. And I haven't needed to replace anything yet.
That’s impressive. Love the sound of that.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Let us Find the Ultimate Floor Pump Monkeys. No amount of money will stop us to obtain the Sickest Floor Pump ever made!

I remember a decade ago on mtbr this question came up. If memory serves me,it was 150$ or more and was a BadAss straight forward lookin Pump. I think Germany,or British was the Country it was made in,I can not remember? I do remember it was not made in USA.

I humbly ask for the Best of the Best Monkeys. We must get to the bottom of this matter ounce and for all.

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Let us Find the Ultimate Floor Pump Monkeys. No amount of money will stop us to obtain the Sickest Floor Pump ever made!

I remember a decade ago on mtbr this question came up. If memory serves me,it was 150$ or more and was a BadAss straight forward lookin Pump. I think Germany,or British was the Country it was made in,I can not remember? I do remember it was not made in USA.

I humbly ask for the Best of the Best Monkeys. We must get to the bottom of this matter ounce and for all.

Avy
The Preferable choice is to own a good HP pump for road tyres, a decent high volume pump for mtb and a compressor or booster pump for seating tubeless. any one floor pump that does all of that is going to be a compromise.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Over 25 years old and still humming along. I do remember, vaguely, that it was expensive for a college kid (me). But it has paid off.

PXL_20230210_155401598.jpg

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay

Avy

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Over 25 years old and still humming along. I do remember, vaguely, that it was expensive for a college kid (me). But it has paid off.

View attachment 189079
I had a Silca just like that one for about as long. It finally gave up the ghost, but someone locally came by to collect it for "parts" since most of it was still functional at the time.

This is the exact pump I got to replace the above Silca. Reminds me a lot of it - mostly metal construction. It has been a solid pump for the last 8 years.