Quantcast

floor pumps w/ tubeless tanks

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Your thumb is probably a better pressure gauge than that thing.
Pressure gauges are considered to have questionable accuracy in the first and last 20% of their scale. So, on a 260 psi max gauge, it is questionable to use for pressures around 50 psi and under. In other words, useless for a mountain bike.
However, you can always buy a new gauge with a usable range for cheap. Almost all gauges use an 1/8” NPT thread IIRC, so replacements are fairly universal. Buy a snubber to put inline as well to prevent pressure spikes from killing the gauge.
That same rule of thumb holds true for digital gauges.
wow!
Funnily enough. my thumb and riding the bike actually has and always will be a good enough gauge.
But like I said. The gauge you have zero experience of using does read accurately enough. in the 26-125psi range (which is what all my bikes' tyre pressures fall into) It reads the same pressures as the gauges on my other track pumps and also a separate pressure gauge which only measures from 0 to 50psi.
You may well be right about it not measuring too accurately in the 200-260psi range but who cares? That end of the gauge is only really there as an indication the chamber is full. So as long as they all read the same number at the same pressure over a range I actually use I couldn't really give a fuck if it's accurate to 0,2psi or not?
As for your suggestion of buying a snubber and yet another gauge I'm simply sharing my exerience with the cheapest tubeless track pump on the market. Not looking to buy anything.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
2 liter bottle, tubeless valves, hot glue and rubber vacuum hose from autoparts store works great. I've put 100 psi in mine (not joking- wear safety glasses). Costs about $5. You can pump through it once you dump the pressure. Not my video:

I also have a 7 gal metal tank with a nice inflator and silca head. Cost about $120 to put together and it has a schrader fill port so you can still fill it up with a floor pump if you wanted to waste an hour.

https://www.amazon.com/JACO-FlowPro-Tire-Inflator-Gauge/dp/B01ETXA2EW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1532618358&sr=8-14&keywords=jaco+tire+pressure+gauge

https://www.amazon.com/SILCA-Presta-Chuck-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0055X4ESQ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1532618409&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=silca+head

https://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-7-Gallon-Multi-Purpose-Air-Tank/dp/B01KO1R4HQ/ref=sr_1_cc_3?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1532618437&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=7+gal+air+tank

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
wow!
Funnily enough. my thumb and riding the bike actually has and always will be a good enough gauge.
But like I said. The gauge you have zero experience of using does read accurately enough. in the 26-125psi range (which is what all my bikes' tyre pressures fall into) It reads the same pressures as the gauges on my other track pumps and also a separate pressure gauge which only measures from 0 to 50psi.
You may well be right about it not measuring too accurately in the 200-260psi range but who cares? That end of the gauge is only really there as an indication the chamber is full. So as long as they all read the same number at the same pressure over a range I actually use I couldn't really give a fuck if it's accurate to 0,2psi or not?
As for your suggestion of buying a snubber and yet another gauge I'm simply sharing my exerience with the cheapest tubeless track pump on the market. Not looking to buy anything.
i work with calibrated instruments and gauges at my job, and it's maddeningly frustrating how inaccurate / inconsistent pump gauges can be. i have 2 pumps that differ by 10-15 psi, and that's in the mid-range where you'd expect it to be most accurate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I also have a 7 gal metal tank with a nice inflator and silca head. Cost about $120 to put together and it has a schrader fill port so you can still fill it up with a floor pump if you wanted to waste an hour.
or for maybe $40 more you could buy something already assembled and purpose built for the application.

:D

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
or for maybe $40 more you could buy something already assembled and purpose built for the application.

:D

Well that stuff didn't exist when I made the metal tank and I wanted a LOT of air (I keep it in my garage and only refill it a few times a year). Also the filler and silca head are way better than anything on a $40 inflater.

If you want cheap- do the 2l bottle.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How does that work? No compressor onboard?
It does not for me. I have a similar tank from Autozone and the orifices / valves are too restricting and won't let a large volume of air rush in the tire quickly enough to seat it. Perhaps other tanks are different, YMMV. Plus, without a compressor, it takes forever to fill it to 80+PSI.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It does not for me. I have a similar tank from Autozone and the orifices / valves are too restricting and won't let a large volume of air rush in the tire quickly enough to seat it. Perhaps other tanks are different, YMMV. Plus, without a compressor, it takes forever to fill it to 80+PSI.
that's one of the big things about the pump / tank combos, they're designed to have high flow rates to fill the tires as fast as possible to seat the beads.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This is the one we used in our multi-day trip:

If your primary concern while at home is not waking up the kids with the compressor, simply fill the thing up during the day and store it until you have to use it. Like I said before, it worked pretty well while to seat a 27.5x2.4 tubeless tire in the middle of nowhere. Refilling it with a hand pump wasn't too bad, and carrying it in a backpack gave us independence.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
The Kobalt tank and Jaco filler I have is scary fast- with a valve core removed you get a tire to 40 psi in 2-3 seconds (tank is at 150psi). Have to be careful to not explode tires.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The Kobalt tank and Jaco filler I have is scary fast- with a valve core removed you get a tire to 40 psi in 2-3 seconds (tank is at 150psi). Have to be careful to not explode tires.
yea that's one concern i have (that it can be overkill), i always make sure i set the regulator on my compressor to about 40psi before I seat tires.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I haven't really used the chamber floor pumps. The biggest complaint I keep hearing is that you basically have to fill the chamber to even use it as a regular pump, which seems like a pain in the ass. I think just a good floor pump and one of those airshot things or some other system would be good. Once you seat the bead, all you need is a regular pump. I've never been able to seat a tubeless setup with a regular pump, but I also just run regular Minions and not the UST ones, so it takes a bit more to get them to seat and seal I think.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The biggest complaint I keep hearing is that you basically have to fill the chamber to even use it as a regular pump
Fill it, but not pressurise it to any degree. With mine after one (soft) pump stroke it then pumps as normal. Barely even a first world problem.
No idea about other pumps.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I did, when testing the aforementioned homemade tubeless inflator INDOOR (don't try this at home kids!). A 2.25 liter 7 Up bottle makes a fucking loud bang at about 160 PSI according to my floor pump's manometer. Heard nothing but a constant beep for about two hours.
Was that the machine that goes "Bing"?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Now for something completely different.

What do you guys do with a tire when you first get it?
I have found that some just don't want to seat even with an air compressor due to a kink in the bead.
I usually just mount them overnight with tubes inflated to 40psi to stretch everything out.
Then no problems mounting them, except for a single one that would not co-operate until it was roped.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Now for something completely different.

What do you guys do with a tire when you first get it?
I have found that some just don't want to seat even with an air compressor due to a kink in the bead.
I usually just mount them overnight with tubes inflated to 40psi to stretch everything out.
Then no problems mounting them, except for a single one that would not co-operate until it was roped.
For folding bead I definitely unroll them to get them into shape. But this is after they sit in my parts bin for a few months.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
2 liter bottle, tubeless valves, hot glue and rubber vacuum hose from autoparts store works great. I've put 100 psi in mine (not joking- wear safety glasses)
I went down that route and burst like 3 of the bastards.

+1 for the Air Shot. Moar reliability, less tinnitus.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You don't need to do it overnight. smear stans around the bead and inflate to 50psi. both sides will be stuck to the rim after one beer. (I drink fast BTW). unmount one side, remove the tube, put tubeless valve in it's place (valve core removed) pour stans in, pop the open side over the rim and they go up first time.
This has never failed and I've never even bothered to unroll a tyre until it's time to fit it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What sort of tire/rim combos require you to do all these weird things to get them to seat?
I just had my most difficult one a few days ago, I always pour the goo in to the tire and this time the CushCore insert decided it didn't want to let any sealant in around the bead. Ended up having to hit some corners with very low pressure to let the goo seal the bead as the tire would drop a few Psi on a ride.
I have also had a Fat Albert blow off the rim with 50Psi in it, that was about the only fun I had with those tyres, they sucked!

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I did, when testing the aforementioned homemade tubeless inflator INDOOR (don't try this at home kids!). A 2.25 liter 7 Up bottle makes a fucking loud bang at about 160 PSI according to my floor pump's manometer. Heard nothing but a constant beep for about two hours.
mawp