Quantcast

Floor Pumps

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The pressure gauges thread got me thinking about floor pumps, and how mine doesn't work as well is ought to. I've had it a few years, maybe 10 at this point? Not sure. It's a Topeak Joe Blow, but not the yellow one, just silver. Within the first year of owning it, the gauge stop working consistently and not long after it stopped working correctly altogether. Instead of replacing the pump, I did finally break down and buy a hand-held gauge (that is okay but not great or even good really) so I can at least get a sorta-baseline for what pressure I have installed in a tire. Lately, it seems to be "locking out" when the pressure in the tire gets to a certain point. Like, I can't put any more air into a road tire than about 100psi, it just won't do it. The handle won't depress.

So... whatya all got that has stood up? What works? What's quality? I have a (cheap Horrible Fright) compressor to set tubeless with, so I don't think I need any sort of air-tank style pump to do that with. Just a solid, well-built floor pump that works, has a semi-accurate gauge, and might last more than a couple of seasons.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The pressure gauges thread got me thinking about floor pumps, and how mine doesn't work as well is ought to. I've had it a few years, maybe 10 at this point? Not sure. It's a Topeak Joe Blow, but not the yellow one, just silver. Within the first year of owning it, the gauge stop working consistently and not long after it stopped working correctly altogether. Instead of replacing the pump, I did finally break down and buy a hand-held gauge (that is okay but not great or even good really) so I can at least get a sorta-baseline for what pressure I have installed in a tire. Lately, it seems to be "locking out" when the pressure in the tire gets to a certain point. Like, I can't put any more air into a road tire than about 100psi, it just won't do it. The handle won't depress.

So... whatya all got that has stood up? What works? What's quality? I have a (cheap Horrible Fright) compressor to set tubeless with, so I don't think I need any sort of air-tank style pump to do that with. Just a solid, well-built floor pump that works, has a semi-accurate gauge, and might last more than a couple of seasons.
Have you tried to lube the piston?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a bell HV one I got at the supermarket for like $18, maybe around 8 years ago? It's been awesome.

Ok, yeah, it reads zero whenever I'm using it with fat bikes, but I don't use pressure gauges with fat bikes. Seems accurate enough otherwise, like when filling up past about 15psi.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've had a specialized floor pump for maybe a decade that's always seemed to read pretty consistently. kn the other hand, i have a prestaflator for my compressor and the gauge stopped working pretty quickly. luckily i just use it to seat beads...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have a lezyne overdrive with the digital gauge. High volume, great pump, great gauge, semi-finicky chuck/valve.
9/10, def would buy another.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I too have a lezyne overdrive (high volume) pump with traditional gauge. Looks like they do not make the same exact version anymore though. The gauge reads almost exactly what my topeak digital reads. Pumps high volume tires up pretty quickly too.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I need to find the size and a supplier for the o-rings in the Lezyne chuck on my HV track pump...