Quantcast

Florida info?

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
So I have been mulling this over for awhile...

for the past 2 years, I keep seeing firefighting jobs in FL. I have been to Florida a few times (Disney, Universal, Miami...) anyways I was not too keen on the state but the job market is tempting coming from MI also my wife has the same situation in her field.

I know there are some Floridians in here so here are some questions

Whats the average house price? (in MI it's like 150k for a 2 bedroom)
What the best part of the state to live in? (less old people)
How is the biking?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Best biking is in ocala. There's some good riding outside of tampa as well. Little bit around miami.

My favorite places are centralish. Nice spring fed rivers and more of the often overlooked uniquely florida wildlife. Gulf side panhandle is nice as long as you stay away from beach resort towns like destin, pensacola etc.

Orlando sucks. Don't let disney dictate what the state is to you.

I grew up in florida and went to some college there.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Florida sucks, don't move here.

Seriously though, if you are going to move to the state look somewhere in the north half of the state. Anywhere in south FL the housing market is out of control. For example the two bedroom, two bath, one car garage villa I am living in are supposedly selling for about 300k. The is freaking ridiculous for how little you get. But if someone is going to pay me that much money I sure as hell ain't going to say no.

The riding is pretty good around the Tampa and Ocala. Nice, tech trails and lots of growing freeride oppurtunities.

Oh another thing, it is unbeliveably hot and humid in the summer months. After a while you will tire of it and not look foward to riding in the summer. Are you getting the impression I don't like it here?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If you're going to move, why not move to the best possible places overall?

South Florida is great for culture, maybe not as good as NY, Chicago, etc., but it's pretty fun for music, food, diversity. If you're a beach/ocean person, it's also good.

The big problem with S.FL is that it takes so long to get to some place different. I lived there for 30 years before moving to Denver. One reason I chose here is that in the amount of time it takes to get out of FL*, I'm in NM, UT, any super cool part of CO, SD (and SD is pretty damn neat for a long weekend), WY.

* and even then, the options for cool stuff is still hours from the border of FL.