Quantcast

florida, the leeroy jenkins edition

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
flordia kinda needs its own thread. especially the disney topic.

basically the florida GOP is threatening to revoke disney's special district status (essentially lets disney run as its own local govt) in response to disney coming out against the "don't say gay" bill. the end result is that the local county would have to absorb over $100m in annual tax burden. so the question here is which will win? the GOP's love of a good culture war or hatred of taxes?

1650564450754.png

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:banana: 100 dollars doesn't sound like much of a tax burden. No, the tax burden will shoot this whole idea down.
forgot the m call out on the number.

you seem to underestimate the gop's willingness to spite themselves financially for the culture war. remember when they required drug testing for unemployment?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
forgot the m call out on the number.

you seem to underestimate the gop's willingness to spite themselves financially for the culture war. remember when they required drug testing for unemployment?

The GOP has a long track record for getting people to vote against their own interests based on a single knee-jerk subject that has no impact on their lives.

Abortion
Gay marriage
Islamaphobia
immigration
bathroom bans
school prayer
flag burning

What is newish is their new authoritarian approach of openly punishing people and organizations that disagree with them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What is newish is their new authoritarian approach of openly punishing people and organizations that disagree with them.
"ish" doing a lot of work in that sentence

Disney paid lobbying money to get that don't say gay bill passed. Only after people noticed and raised hell did they make a public statement on the bill AS IT WAS PASSING.

Having grown up near there and spent many days on a college park pass with lots and lots of LSD, watching them host 'gay days' even in the 90's, disney is categorically as evil as desantis. They deserve each other and fuck them both.

In fact let's to this american style. Anyone know of a way to turn this into an armed conflict? One in which we can sell missles and biological weapons to both sides?

"ish" doing a lot of work in that sentence

Disney paid lobbying money to get that don't say gay bill passed. Only after people noticed and raised hell did they make a public statement on the bill AS IT WAS PASSING.

Having grown up near there and spent many days on a college park pass with lots and lots of LSD, watching them host 'gay days' even in the 90's, disney is categorically as evil as desantis. They deserve each other and fuck them both.

In fact let's to this american style. Anyone know of a way to turn this into an armed conflict? One in which we can sell missles and biological weapons to both sides?
Disney is a very ugly organization.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I dated a girl who did an internship with Disney back in the late 80s. Went down there during spring break. She told me some of the shit that went on. Kind of authoritarian and creepy.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Basically Florida in the 80s.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"He wants people to know he is okay", apart from missing part of his brain/skull lowering his IQ even more than it was beforehand.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"He wants people to know he is okay", apart from missing part of his brain/skull lowering his IQ even more than it was beforehand.
You driving I70 is far more statistically dangerous (and hence stupid) than swimming in a lake in florida

I'm no defender of florida but going swimming in 95 degree heat and 80% humidity is a daily occurence without that happening. You're hearing about it because it was the exception, not the rule.

Hikers say the same thing about mountainbikers when they get attacked by mountain lions. You know that totally common and daily occurrence...

Because riding a bicycle in the mountains is proof of a low IQ

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You driving I70 is far more statistically dangerous (and hence stupid) than swimming in a lake in florida

I'm no defender of florida but going swimming in 95 degree heat and 80% humidity is a daily occurence without that happening. You're hearing about it because it was the exception, not the rule.

Hikers say the same thing about mountainbikers when they get attacked by mountain lions. You know that totally common and daily occurrence...
Yeah these aren't crocodiles. Although I'm guessing you wouldn't take your Chihuahua swimming all that often.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah these aren't crocodiles. Although I'm guessing you wouldn't take your Chihuahua swimming all that often.
when I was mere schoolboy my parents had a house bordering something that during high tide was somewhat of a 'creek'. More like a tidal marsh. They were all over the place at night. You could shine a flashlight out and count a dozen pairs of eyes reflecting. They'd cruise around solo in the day time. It's also not hard to look around before you get in the water.

Alligators typically don't give a shit about people. But they will absolutely make a bee line for any dog they see.

The only time I was ever really scared of them was servicing some water quality autosampling equipment in the everglades. You just couldn't see around you and you had to get out of the boat to get to it, literally a swamp with the things everywhere.

Last edited: