Quantcast

floting brake systems

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
on most modern suspension designs, a floating brake is nearly obsolete. the only thing it really has an effect on are sinlge pivot bikes.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I will say... for a HI pivot SP, its a great upgrade... for a low pivot, its not as much as a neccessity, of coarse even then, it depends on teh bike, ond RM7 would pretty much lock the rear suspension under hard braking, while my blindside feels pretty close to neutral, still has some jack under really hard braking, but its nothing that would justify me getting the floater for that bike...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
meh, floaters do wonders for all kinds of bikes. My brooklyn was awesome with a floater...totally neutral and could slow down in any terrain...my sunday (multi-pivot) is not, and I find myself skipping over the same areas the brooklyn had traction in.

Is it a necessity? Probably not...do I like/want one? Yes, very much.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
on most modern suspension designs, a floating brake is nearly obsolete. the only thing it really has an effect on are sinlge pivot bikes.

This is not true. Most of the "modern" suspension designs act only marginally better under braking than a mid SP without a floater, if at all. I blanket statements are dangerous, but basically most of the "vpp/horst/whatever" linkage systems brake better statements are just that, statements. A great example is going from an SX trail to a Demo. The demo's seatstay angle and actuation make make for a very neutral brake, whereas the SX brakes like hell. Both are Horst, and both are completely different in this respect.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
ive owned and ridden a 07 bullit and a 09 blindside
imo the bullit would definitely benefit from a floating brake system...but for the blindside..its not exactly worth it...the bike does jack a bit but its pretty acceptable