Quantcast

Fluidride #4 - Return to the Hood

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
I'll be there, looking for a cleaned up run this weekend... Anyone know if they'll be using the same coarse?

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
So I've never been to hood. The address on the website is the one that ill need to get me there? I'm stoked rolling in late friday or saturday morning.

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
hood is dope just very demanding. and the schedule* for the last pa race was setup cause we had over 400 riders pa is not exactly set up for so many riders so they haf to work it out the way they do so every one gets and even amount of time. so till then ill see you guy at the bottom of dryhill!

Jun 16, 2009
Damn... My brother came in first... Thats pretty kick ass I do have to say.

I want to race next year at Port Angeles(sp) but I dont know about Hood... I hear its quite intimidating.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Apologies to all for the confusion about the last minute practice schedule changes.
First of all something to keep in mind about Mt. Hood.
It is Forest Service Land. That's why there are only a few trails there, hell we are lucky we can even ride in the woods at all. They have the most strict regulations about erosion control etc. Hurricane racing was extremely concerned about the deterioration of the trails after the last race. Being the pro-active group they are, they decided to take precautions to prevent any negative action by the NFS.
The other thing to be aware of is the number of trail merges between the PRO/Ex and CatII/III courses. This separated schedule helps prevent possible collisions.

Ya it sucks the changes were made mid-season at both venues. But the truth be told, it was done to better the situation for the riders sake.

For example: Previous Sat practice was all groups 11 - 4. At this rate the line was hella long. 30 min maybe at times. (for those not willing to ride the 4 min to Multorpor chair, which was empty most of the day) At this rate you sat in the sun, waiting for the chair. And at best could get 5 practice runs all day.

With the revised 4 hrs each schedule, the line was never more than 5-10 min long. This allowed for that time to be used going back to the pits, getting rehydrated, eating, or repair. All while having enough time to get just as much practice.

In the long run seems like a better deal to me. They only had two weeks to announce the schedule change, and when they did so many people bitched, they tried to adjust it again. Which just made it more confusing. So we discussed it and decided to stick to the first change.

So now it is set in stone. Fri practice will remain the same as always-
11 - 4 all categories.

Sat practice as follows-
8 -12 Pro / Cat I
12 - 4 Cat II / Cat III

Sun same as always.

Don't worry about which chairs etc. You will be able to get up one way or the other during your scheduled practice. And if you really think you need more than 4 or 5 runs top to bottom a day there, go ride the Glade trail across the Hwy afterwards...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I think the practice schedule was fine. Sure, it would have sucked if you didn't know and showed up at 10 for pro practice, but you need to do your homework.
I'd rather have 4 hours of short line vs 8 hours of long lines and heavy muppet traffic.

Overall, great race. Go carts and alpine slide made for an awesome post practice afternoon.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I think the practice schedule was fine. Sure, it would have sucked if you didn't know and showed up at 10 for pro practice, but you need to do your homework.
I'd rather have 4 hours of short line vs 8 hours of long lines and heavy muppet traffic.

Overall, great race. Go carts and alpine slide made for an awesome post practice afternoon.
Precisely. IFO am glad they are thinking about the safety of the riders as well as the impact of that much more traffic overall. I feel for Peter w/ Hurricane Racing...he had a rough afternoon on Saturday for sure having to be the "bad guy" at the upper lift. I hope somebody liquored him up afterwards.

One thing a couple/few of us noticed was the lack of presence of on-site EMT's like they had at PA. I am guessing there's an indoor post they were at or something along those lines? Just curious.

Jun 29, 2009
WA
I dont understand why Cat II and III dont get to use the main chair also. I understand that slide has something to do with it but why does Pro and Cat I only get to use it?

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
as long as the cat 1s and pros have the option to ride the multopor chair in the afternoon it works fine. the way practice went at this last race was excellent

edit: any idea on the course at pa for the august race?

mtbrider106

Monkey
May 23, 2009
auburn
i was happy with the way the schedule was set up didnt haf to worry about cat 1 and pros bombing down at me takes one thing off your shoulders. pa is steep and fast hood was rocky and long! im ready for pa and the season finally : D