Quantcast

Fluidride Issaquah Closing Its Doors

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
Sucks for the eastsiders, but that just means i'll have twice the sickness only a few blocks away! It's good to see that Simon wants his employees more focused on riding and teaching than just sales.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
sorry to hear the shop will be closing over there but riding>working in the shop so its understandable. Might have to use some of my graduation money at the sale :brows:

Fromet

Monkey
May 26, 2006
Seattle
I'm glad to hear Zeb will be my local mechanic again. No need for twice the overhead right fluidride?

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
WOW, that was quick.

Well that certainly hastens my decision to move into Motocross full-time and give up the bike.

Good luck in the future Fluidride.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
WOW, that was quick.

Well that certainly hastens my decision to move into Motocross full-time and give up the bike.

Good luck in the future Fluidride.
Expected the usual type of comments on this news, but this one is strange. Can't understand how the restructuring of a businesses day to day affects one's choice to Motocross or bike.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
While it sounds strange to some, I'm sure this does fall more in line with what he ultimately wants to do. Back in the DHNW days, he always said he had no real interest in having a retail shop. But DHNW was just a, "less that great business model". Providing expensive "race support" and lodging to.....well....dirtbag DHers that had no money.... that explains why he ate nothing but Gatorade bars for an entire summer. Good times...good times...

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Mark,

As I'm sure you know, part of racing is having access to good equipment, and most importantly a good mechanic. Zeb is the BEST, no doubt about that. Other local shops just can't give me the kind of service and support I'd like to have, and I don't want to drive all the way to Seattle to get it. It's more convenient to race Moto-X, and oddly costs about the same.

It was awesome having Fluidride close by (even if for a short time), liked the guys, and the shop. They jazzed up my desire to race DH as an alternative to the other racing genres I participate in. I still race bikes, but prefer Super-D. If I'm going to drop that kind of cash I am going to power it on a 250cc 13x13 not 8x8 with cranks.

I don't blame Simon one bit. My friend Martin did the same thing with his ski shops. He used them to boost his bottom line and drive interest to his guiding service.

Best of luck to Simon and the crew with the guiding and the teaching. You lost a customer, but not a friend or supporter.

Last edited:

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
Mark,

As I'm sure you know, part of racing is having access to good equipment, and most importantly a good mechanic. Zeb is the BEST, no doubt about that. Other local shops just can't give me the kind of service and support I'd like to have, and I don't want to drive all the way to Seattle to get it. It's more convenient to race Moto-X, and oddly costs about the same.
Who's gonna be your dirtbike mechanic? Expect at least a five fold cost increase for maintenance. If you don't work on your own dh bike you're in for a rude awakening for moto. That said I love it and hope you will also.

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
Ridetilludie-Haha...Up until a few days ago I had a buddy who fixed everything for beer, but he just went back to Kenya for good. So if anyone is a certified KTM mechanic and wants to wrench for PBR let me know. :D

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Thats a bummer I never even got to check out the shop. Gl with the rest of the Fluidride stuff Simon.

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
Ridetilludie-Haha...Up until a few days ago I had a buddy who fixed everything for beer, but he just went back to Kenya for good. So if anyone is a certified KTM mechanic and wants to wrench for PBR let me know. :D
I like beer, I'll teach you the basics while you get me drunk:banana:. What did you get a 250xc? I wish I had a freshy mine is pretty clapped out.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Is this a joke? Not too pleased right now.
No. Did you go to their site and read? It probably will create inconvenience for those who started to use that location. But, from what is written on their site, sounds like a strong direction for all of them. We still have the Seattle Location.

Last edited:

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Yeah I guess. Damn... really thought I had it good having that shop so close.

I'm sure there was something worked out but I would have thought it would be tough to get out of a lease agreement like that, esp for prime location in gilman village.

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
I like beer, I'll teach you the basics while you get me drunk:banana:. What did you get a 250xc? I wish I had a freshy mine is pretty clapped out.
Just add an (e) onto the end of that. Kick starting is for 4 strokers. ;) I'll give you a shout when I get back stateside. West Fork of the Teanaway is calling me.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Just add an (e) onto the end of that. Kick starting is for 4 strokers. ;) I'll give you a shout when I get back stateside. West Fork of the Teanaway is calling me.
So, since you no longer mountian bike I guess you wont be posting on this board anymore. Goodbye, have fun!

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Uh, WHO are you exactly tough guy?
You haven't seen fuzzycatnuts before? He's that guy that builds a large majority of the jumps around here. You'd know him if you ever saw him. He's like a linebacker. I once saw him throw three shovel fulls of dirt at the same time.

Then there was that time when fuzzycatnuts did that full back flip with the Bobcat off the big gap at the Colonade, just after he built it.

Then there was the time when I was following him down the trail and he went into a full drift in front of me. I went to brake and realized that he was still in control. He had done it just so he could reach in his pocket with the inside hand and open a can of PBR.

I second your comment. Fuzzycatnuts is a tough guy!

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Yeah, fascinating.
But, seriously. He was drawing attention to the fact that this thread was a discussion on a local entity that is a large part of why Mountain Biking is so cool in the PNW. In that way, it was about mountain biking. You had somehow made it about Motocross.

So, back to mountain bikes. Isn't it great I don't have to put gas in my bike when I get to the trail? :lighten:

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
So let me get this straight. Any thread you start regarding a topic, but perhaps most importantly your pet projects must stay within that narrowly defined lane, and any other topics from lawful poster with their own take on the original thread, by which it inadvertently enters into said topic must generate either:

a.) Denigrating response from thread generator, requiring retort.
b.) Attempt at pig-pile from supporter of topic generator.
c.) Classic backing by topic generator to support pig-piling supporter. Escalating to a veiled threat.

Am I reading this right?

Last edited:

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I was going to delete my post this morning but you already commented on it, no hard feelings I hope.

I just saw the words "put down the bike" and I was confused and angry.

Also, saying that the fluidride shop closing is part of your reason to give up the sport makes no sense to me. The Seattle shop is a 1/2 hour drive from there, how often do you need your bike worked on?, you have a Sunday thats Like New.

Hope you change your mind because: MTB > Motocross

-Peace

Last edited:

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
No hard feelings at all.

Hey, I wasn't crashing on DH riding at all, that wasn't my tone. It's totally a different buzz altogether, and like I said in my response post, I'm keeping my Demo 8 to hit Whistler as many times a year as I can, and still racing my Nomad at Enduro DH's like Megavalanche, and select super-d's. Mountain biking has been a part of my lifestyle since around 1988 when I started riding trails around Estes Park in Colorado, and BMX racing before that.

I just don't want to maintain a 3-5K DH race bike anymore, which detracts from doing other similar two wheeled activities.

I've had a share of problems with the LBS's around here. Fluidride was able to suss out some issues I'd had with my bikes that were partially the result of the other shops inability to work on higher end bikes properly. I'm just not looking forward to having a bunch of non hackers work on my bikes anymore. I'm only in the US about 3-4 months a year, so I just don't have the time or inclination to spend much time working on my own stuff, and at 205-210 I break it A LOT.

Fluidrides crew deserves every accolade and success they receive.

Peace to you too.

~Kumbaya

Last edited:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
So let me get this straight. Any thread you start regarding a topic, but perhaps most importantly your pet projects must stay within that narrowly defined lane, and any other topics from lawful poster with their own take on the original thread, by which it inadvertently enters into said topic must generate either:

a.) Denigrating response from thread generator, requiring retort.
b.) Attempt at pig-pile from supporter of topic generator.
c.) Classic backing by topic generator to support pig-piling supporter. Escalating to a veiled threat.

Am I reading this right?
Again, I am not sure where you are going with this, but it is common knowledge that since the advent of Forums and related thread based communications that one should (not required by law or anything) stay on topic.

Making the claim that you where going to change your sport because of this action by Fluidride to go another direction was over the top in my opinion, but fine. On topic. No one, said anything more on it.

But, then the thread went on to be a celebration of MTX. And now it's everyone explaining themselves, saying no hard feelings. (No hard feelings by the way.):monkeydance: By definition that is a derail, or a hijacking.

In truth, I wasn't going to say anything, but I agreed with the sentiment of fuzzycatnuts' comment. So, I defended him.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Now, to get back to the topic at hand. I posted this because it is important to me that we all as a singular community of mountain bikers understand what is going on in our community. I think everyone can agree that a healthy community is better for all of us. It means more events, more ride spots (legal), and ultimately better riders.

If you read Simon's decision on Fluidride, then you see that he had two stores and the instruction/camp/events side of his business.

With given resources Simon went with the later and the original store. I personally think this is awesome. Frankly, there are so many stores and ways to get bike stuff. But, not many organizations can affect a community in the way that Fluidride can with their events, their instruction and ultimately their prescience on the trail. The way it was working out, we were not going to see their riders and instructors out teaching and riding much.

By the way, I have a video coming out on Bones Over Metal of my time at one of their race camps. If you have the opportunity, I recommend taking one of their camps, or classes. I've been around Simon's Instruction for two years due to making the DVD for them. The amount I still learn being around their influence blows me away. I'm more than an advocate for them, I've become a fan.