Quantcast

Fluids in the winter

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
On my 2 hour ride last night, I noticed I drank only once out of my bottle, just a couple mouthfuls.

The same ride in the summer I would have drank the whole bottle.

Obviously there is a difference of about 40 degrees, but should I drink more? Or maybe wear warmer clothes so I sweat more?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
On my 2 hour ride last night, I noticed I drank only once out of my bottle, just a couple mouthfuls.

Obviously there is a difference of about 40 degrees, but should I drink more? Or maybe wear warmer clothes so I sweat more?
You probably should drink more. You dos till sweat a far amount in winter, so you're still loosing a good amount of water that way. You're also breathing out a lot of water vapour when the air is really dry. I usually have to force myself to drink more on a cold day.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma

I do the same... in 2 hours in the summer I'll drain about 80 oz. In the winter, I do maybe 10 or 20 max if I make myself... I don't get thirsty like I do in the summer.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, you sweat a decent amount in the winter but don't notice it. The air is dry and can suck it right up or it goes into your clothes and evaporates. I barely drink anything during winter rides

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Some people say you actually sweat MORE when it's cold, because your body is using energy to stay warm as well as turn the pedals like usual. You don't feel it as much because it evaporates faster and/or you wear more clothing that wicks the moisture away (as opposed to the sweat just accumulating on bare arms and legs).

Do you seem to "start" sweating the moment you stop? That usually means you've been sweating the whole time, but the moisture is just evaporating faster because of wind chill or whatever. That's the theory anyway...if you don't drink as much on the bike you should probably try to hydrate more before and after...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, I realized I was a little underdressed, because I did the same ride the next night, with a warmer top.

The night before, I was chilly most of the time. I drank a little more when I was warmer.

I have read where you dress enough so you sweat as much as you do in the summer, but I don't want to wear that much.