Quantcast

Fly Bikes Brake Install?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so I got a pair of these brakes second hand from a buddy along w/ a frame. I'm trying to install the brakes but there are clearance issues with the arms - they keep hitting each other (i've taken the pads off to confirm).

I tried another brake I have (Odyssey EVO II) and there are no issues with clearance, so I don't think the brakes mounts are bent or were welded crooked. The frame is an S&M LTF, and the my buddy I got it from was running these brakes on this frame (I've tried getting in contact with him but no luck as of yet). The brake arms don't look like they've been bent from a crash or anything, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't. Is there something special to the installation of these brakes that I'm missing?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i think there are 2 versions of that brake - one for seatstay and one for chainstay. I think there is possiblly an angle and rise difference between them. If you have the wrong set for your mounts, this could be the problem.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm running Fly's on my Liquid with no problem. You might need to put more spacers between the arm and pad to spread the arms wider if they're hitting near the end of the arms.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm running Fly's on my Liquid with no problem. You might need to put more spacers between the arm and pad to spread the arms wider if they're hitting near the end of the arms.
This was kinda the problem. There were too many spacers on one of the pads and not enough on the other, so it was way off center thats why the arms were hitting.

Thanks everyone!