Quantcast

FLY Bikes euro-to-spanish BB conversion cups!

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I'm sure if you're reading this, you've most definitely heard of these trick little pieces... and if not, listen up!

If you run Profile or any other style of bmx cranks, and are sick of demolishing the thin little euro bearings on your big wheel shredder (and, even worse if you want to run some new 22mm wombolts or fly cranks!), well, this is the solution!
The Fly cups are similar in concept to the newer outboard "x-type" bearing now found on mtb's, but these were released by Fly Bikes a number of years ago for the bmx world (which has since switched to Mid or Spanish bb shell straight up abandoning the euro w/out looking back).
They are made up of cnc'ed cups that thread into your euro bb shell, but have a larger outer diameter for larger and much stronger press fit Spanish bearings.
Very smooth and TRICK set-up! and I should mention, there were only around a dozen originally brought to North America by Fly bikes... including sponsored set-ups...
Anyway, take a gander at some rarity here...

This set in the first pictures was a lucky score on some of the originally imported used ones, and right now on my SplinterMX. They are so solid and never creak like my old euro bearings! Just hooked'em up with some new Demolition Medial cranks and a profile spindle too (not pictured).
These particular ones are 19mm (but 22mm bearings and spacers can easily be swapped by yourself)

the older, fairly beat set I have on the Splinter MX:

For those of you who care about chainguide compatibility, the drive side fits PERFECT with a TruVativ Box-guide back-plate, but we'll see how it works with an e.13 LG-1 boomerang...

But honestly though, this set-up belongs on a dedicated Street/DJ/park bike, since the mtb big wheel world seems to be taking so frickin' long to convert to the Mid or Spanish press fit bb shell, these are the key to properly using the bmx style cranks, esp. 22mm Fly or Wombolt cranks, but are smooth with any 19mm cranks, as how I am running them. With very limited exceptions, you will be hard pressed (haha...) to find an "mtb" frame that doesn't come with a euro shell (like Nemesis/USB/Tonic/Geekhouse/that's just about all I can think of off the top of my head actually, and absolutely NONE on the full-sus. side of things). It's too bad that Mid and Spanish are taking so long to trickle over from BMX, longer than I expected actually.

With the much wider external spacing vs. the reg. euro bb cups I was running, they seem WAY stiffer and no doubt much stouter than those paper thin euro bearings (even worse if I were to run a 22mm spindle on some flys if I ever get around to picking some up...) that I was using.

As you can see, they do add just about 10mm (9.7mm avg according to my calipers) to the overall width to each side, which is more than the typical 4mm or so that the euro cup extends, but it isn't bad, and you don't have to use the cone spacers, you can run the crank arm butted straight up to the bearing if you wish.

just for comparison, here's a pic of a set-up with the WTP dubwide euro 19mm bearing kit currently on my Eastern26:

and here's a quick photo of one of the NOS kits I have... might throw one on the Eastern, but not sure yet... the 19mm would work excellent with the WTP royals and ti spindle I have, but I'd like to possibly pick up some of the new fly cranks, in which case I'd have to pop out the 19mm bearings that are in there for some 22mm...

sorry for the above pic qualities and rambling write-up, I'm at work, hahaha..., kind of jumbled but I can add more later...

Let's hear what you think! :D

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I bought a a set from bikeSatori and there on my new Secrect Agent !! Perfect offset for a e-13 guide !!

Dave shot me an email I'll buy another set off you !!!

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Just a side note:

Has anyone tried to run the FSA BB1000. Its made for 19mm spindles instead of the 22mm. Im using profile cranks and spindles currently.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i still dont see why MTB companys dont use spanish/mid. even nemesis/tonic/usb should be offering it-everyone uses bmx cranks anyways.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
i still dont see why MTB companys dont use spanish/mid. even nemesis/tonic/usb should be offering it-everyone uses bmx cranks anyways.
mtb standards typically move slower, especially with larger scale production companies. There are more (too many) patents involved with mtb, not so much concern with bmx.
All these people with high dollar saint/diabolous/holzfeller OCT cranks would NOT want to have to shell out more money on top for an extra kit that allows conversion/adapter to a new frame that is released with a different bb shell... do you realize how many complaints and b*tching there would be?! And same from Chain guide standards people... so many more things attached to it all than just the manufacturing side of things...

Nemesis/Tonic/USB/etc. do offer the larger press-fit shells, I'm not sure what you were trying to say, or if you realized that... ? These smaller companies can easily (well relatively speaking) build frames with alterations, since they are a 1 at a time production process.

I don't know who this "everyone" is that is apparantly using bmx cranks, I use them, but doesn't mean everybody else I know uses them. 99% of mtb riders all use aluminum mtb standard cranks the way I see it. the bmx influence doesn't hit everybody. A lot of people even have no clue that you can put a bmx crank on an mtb, or why you would even want to...

Boxxer, I'll pm you back with some info!

Brad, I'll contact you too, thanks for the mention here...

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
i asked about this when I first saw these some months back....

my only concern would be spindle width on the 22mm set up... do the fly's have diff. spindle lengths available?

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
i asked about this when I first saw these some months back....

my only concern would be spindle width on the 22mm set up... do the fly's have diff. spindle lengths available?
Fly cranks have a spindle that is about the equivalent of a 5.75" floating spindle (profile/fsa/primo for examples). Gives you room on a 68mm shell set-up, and you don't have to run the cone spacers, you can just mount it straight up to the bearing inner race with no problems, as long as you clear your stays. No, unfortunetly there is no longer aftermarket spindle available for the Fly's yet, but I see it in the future. If you have wombolts you are screwed though, as the spindle is welded.
Unfortunetly, if you had a wide 73mm shell, you're screwed in the case of the Fly cranks or wombolts. You'll need a 6" spindle.

take your current set-up, and measure how much space is on each side between your bb shell (not bb cup, but the frame shell) out to the inside of the crank boss, on both sides.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
my death mobile looks super pimp too with the orange fly hop up kit, tangerine profile chain wheel, and orange fly stem,

pretty soon it is going to have a pair of raw Nemesis bars to match the silver fox float fork, and orange nemesis stem to replace the fly.... it really won't get too much more pimp then my deathmobile.
Damn, sounds dope! You got a pic?

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Unfortunately for us we cant get a hold of those NOS BB kits sooooo.....

Ive done some homework here.

I called FSA and got the bearing number of 6804 for their Mega Exo BB-1000 bottom bracket. Its a english thread BB with outboard bearings that have an ID of 19mm according to both FSA and the Quality book. However, when I look up a 6804 bearing it comes up as a 20mm ID.

Anyone wanna help work on this? The part # is CR4555 from Quality. Im thinking there is some sort of sleeve or cover on the ID of the bearing to take up this 1mm? It lists that part number as compatible with their 19mm integrated spindle/drive crank.

The BB is only a few dollars so Ill order one and try it out on a 19mm BMX/Spindle set up.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
So, confirmed, that extra MM is from a bearing cover... the spindle directly contacts it, which was surprising for me. Im not into the road side but pulled open a D/A BB and sure nuff, the bearing cover not only covers the outside of the BB, but extends inside over the ID of the bearings on both sides....

Anyways, I ordered the BB and Im going to install it and see how it goes. If it works, and I think it should, then we wont need to old stock english-spanish BBs.

I cant believe no one else has commented on this???:monkeydance:

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
So, confirmed, that extra MM is from a bearing cover... the spindle directly contacts it, which was surprising for me. Im not into the road side but pulled open a D/A BB and sure nuff, the bearing cover not only covers the outside of the BB, but extends inside over the ID of the bearings on both sides....

Anyways, I ordered the BB and Im going to install it and see how it goes. If it works, and I think it should, then we wont need to old stock english-spanish BBs.

I cant believe no one else has commented on this???:monkeydance:
Hey, possible score there! Interesting info. I don't know anything about those particular bearings, but have seen where a few other people brought up a similar subject in the recent past...

But, I'm a bit suspicious how it will hold up with the floating axle/preload-bolt set ups that BMX cranks have. Those FSA bearings are a typical cartridge style set-up. You see what I'm saying?
In order to keep profile/medial/royal/41thermals/etc. tight and from not falling off, you have to put some elbow grease into tightening down those crank bolts, since they don't have pinch bolts to keep the arms on. If you install them loose, your bolts will fall out on probably every ride. But, the point is, how are you going to properly crank down/preload those crank bolts when there are no spacers in between the bolts for the inner races? Just those outer spacers you mentioned... When you crank down the arms on the spindle, it might just bind the bearings and tweak the inner races...

Worth a shot on your part though, please let us know what you find and post some pics. Good luck!

also, for some other ideas... take a look at those Supercross cranks, or the new DMR or Atomlab Ex-types. Do they use a 24mm spindle? what bearings come with or are meant to be used with them, is it the 24mm shimano/raceface ones? if not 24mm, which bearings? I thought about getting a pair a bit ago, but heard some horror stories on DMR's build quality for those cranks and spider...
And take note, those crank arms are held on by a pinch bolt/welded/press-fit spindle so they wouldn't squeeze the bearings as much or bind them....

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Nice post. Ive thought about it already and will use some 20mm sleeve stock to keep the side load/crank bolt preload off the bearings. Ill just have to cut it to fit my application.... no biggy. I know trying to run the floating axle set up without that spacer will mean death for the bearings in short order.

I think this will work. Ill know in a few days, just put the order in at QBP.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Nice post. Ive thought about it already and will use some 19mm sleeve stock to keep the side load/crank bolt preload off the bearings. Ill just have to cut it to fit my application.... no biggy. I know trying to run the floating axle set up without that spacer will mean death for the bearings in short order.

I think this will work. Ill know in a few days, just put the order in at QBP.
Nice, I like the crafty ingenuity and willingness to experiment, that's what it's all about man!
Hope you can run that spacer in the cartridge housing alright. Can you just install it when threading in the cardtride, just with the spindle in already?

anyway, please let us know how that turns out and be sure to post up pics and a review!

I'm glad the mtb industry is finally moving towards larger spindles and larger bearings too... but it sucks how the process involving the adoption of a larger/different bb shell (mid/spanish/whatever) will take so long to change here... bmx industry is so quick on it's feet compared to mtb...

oh yeah, by the way... another alternative component, a more specific one like the fly's, may be coming about very soon here in the US!!! wait for the word, I don't know if I should be the one to break the news. ;)

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I'm sure if you're reading this, you've most definitely heard of these trick little pieces... and if not, listen up!

If you run Profile or any other style of bmx cranks, and are sick of demolishing the thin little euro bearings on your big wheel shredder (and, even worse if you want to run some new 22mm wombolts or fly cranks!), well, this is the solution!
The Fly cups are similar in concept to the newer outboard "x-type" bearing now found on mtb's, but these were released by Fly Bikes a number of years ago for the bmx world (which has since switched to Mid or Spanish bb shell straight up abandoning the euro w/out looking back).
They are made up of cnc'ed cups that thread into your euro bb shell, but have a larger outer diameter for larger and much stronger press fit Spanish bearings.
Very smooth and TRICK set-up! and I should mention, there were only around a dozen originally brought to North America by Fly bikes... including sponsored set-ups...
Anyway, take a gander at some rarity here...

This set in the first pictures was a lucky score on some of the originally imported used ones, and right now on my SplinterMX. They are so solid and never creak like my old euro bearings! Just hooked'em up with some new Demolition Medial cranks and a profile spindle too (not pictured).
These particular ones are 19mm (but 22mm bearings and spacers can easily be swapped by yourself)

the older, fairly beat set I have on the Splinter MX:

For those of you who care about chainguide compatibility, the drive side fits PERFECT with a TruVativ Box-guide back-plate, but we'll see how it works with an e.13 LG-1 boomerang...

But honestly though, this set-up belongs on a dedicated Street/DJ/park bike, since the mtb big wheel world seems to be taking so frickin' long to convert to the Mid or Spanish press fit bb shell, these are the key to properly using the bmx style cranks, esp. 22mm Fly or Wombolt cranks, but are smooth with any 19mm cranks, as how I am running them. With very limited exceptions, you will be hard pressed (haha...) to find an "mtb" frame that doesn't come with a euro shell (like Nemesis/USB/Tonic/Geekhouse/that's just about all I can think of off the top of my head actually, and absolutely NONE on the full-sus. side of things). It's too bad that Mid and Spanish are taking so long to trickle over from BMX, longer than I expected actually.

With the much wider external spacing vs. the reg. euro bb cups I was running, they seem WAY stiffer and no doubt much stouter than those paper thin euro bearings (even worse if I were to run a 22mm spindle on some flys if I ever get around to picking some up...) that I was using.

As you can see, they do add just about 10mm (9.7mm avg according to my calipers) to the overall width to each side, which is more than the typical 4mm or so that the euro cup extends, but it isn't bad, and you don't have to use the cone spacers, you can run the crank arm butted straight up to the bearing if you wish.

just for comparison, here's a pic of a set-up with the WTP dubwide euro 19mm bearing kit currently on my Eastern26:

and here's a quick photo of one of the NOS kits I have... might throw one on the Eastern, but not sure yet... the 19mm would work excellent with the WTP royals and ti spindle I have, but I'd like to possibly pick up some of the new fly cranks, in which case I'd have to pop out the 19mm bearings that are in there for some 22mm...

sorry for the above pic qualities and rambling write-up, I'm at work, hahaha..., kind of jumbled but I can add more later...

Let's hear what you think! :D
awesome. i wonder if these still exist....