Quantcast

Fly cranks snapped on me today...

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Going for a footjam on a bank, threw myf oot into my tire, and the foot that was still on the pedal aparantly snapped the weld where the pedal threads attach.
just thought i'd let the board know.
im not a hard rider, and i hardly do anything HUGE. i honestly have no explanation for how it happened.

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
its because fly stuff is gimmicky and shoddily made, the only reason they made those cranks was to try and keep up with george french's wombolts but without the ingenuity of design,

harsh though dude, warranty them?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Whoa buddy. How about Ruben pedals? They're awesome, way better than my previous Ody JCs. The tires are great, the brakes are sick, etc.

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
how much more did they cost to buy though,
compare the cost wit a similar odyssey product and where are the benefits of the extra cash?
and theres still no way that bike weighs 22.5lbs,
trust me, its more like 24,
and still no proof
why not just be honest about how much it weighs? it isnt a competition is it?

the risk is folk read your guesstimation and think if they build a similar bike it will weigh the same, then theyre disatisfied when it weighs several pounds more,
weigh it on a digi scale take a photo and post it, that would actuall be more beneficial to everyone on the forum as we'd be better informed as to what actually works,

still harsh though.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I snapped some Wombolt's a few weeks ago...it's just something that may happen when light parts are being tossed around. That said, Odyssey honored the warranty, and I will continue riding Wombolts. They kick ass.

standard125r

Chimp
Dec 7, 2006
a tiny bit! hahahaha! mint!
fly=all steel
profile= ti axle,ti bolts,steel arms,
think about it
maybe thats the tiny bit where the fly's seem to snap,

at least the wombolts have the decency to fail at the axle,

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
yeah so ill ignore the fly hate.

it was a snap-but it was a low-speed trick, so it didnt really phase me too much.

i dont need to prove the bike weight on a scale---i would be more than embarrased to take a pciture at a shop, and say "yeah, everyone online was giving me ****".

the bike is 22.5 lbs, take it or leave it, i dont give a ****. i ride my bike, and thats what it weighs. i honestly dont have ANYTHING to prove to anyone on this board. i ride because it puts a smile on my face, and there are a lot better things i could waste money on. i'm a college student at a one of the best schools in california, living in my own apartment, with a girlfriend and friends to chill with, and a twenty two and a half pound bike sitting in the corner. i dont need peopel on the internet to THINK this is true, because it is TRUE, and i am happy with it---but thats NOT what the thread was about, so DONT TALK ABOUT IT.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
the bike is 22.5 lbs, take it or leave it, i dont give a ****. i ride my bike, and thats what it weighs. i honestly dont have ANYTHING to prove to anyone on this board. i ride because it puts a smile on my face, and there are a lot better things i could waste money on. i'm a college student at a one of the best schools in california, living in my own apartment, with a girlfriend and friends to chill with, and a twenty two and a half pound bike sitting in the corner. i dont need peopel on the internet to THINK this is true, because it is TRUE, and i am happy with it---but thats NOT what the thread was about, so DONT TALK ABOUT IT.
Ahahaha PWNED!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
yeah so ill ignore the fly hate.

it was a snap-but it was a low-speed trick, so it didnt really phase me too much.

i dont need to prove the bike weight on a scale---i would be more than embarrased to take a pciture at a shop, and say "yeah, everyone online was giving me ****".

dude i dont think many people sweat the weight of your bike. just ignore the one douche in this thread. my bike is 24lbs and you have a lighter frame and a few parts so i dont think the 22.5 is off.

sucks about the flys, i just put a set on my bike.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
i emailed fly yesterday about 3 minutes before i posted this. still no response.
i built the bike through mailorders, but i do have a local shop.
what is normal procedure for warranty-if they didnt sell it to me? if i brought my bike in, would thye handle everything and switch out the cranks? how much would they charge for that? its not like i dont know how to put the cranks on, i figured id just handle all shipping and it'd be good to go alot sooner.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
for warranties, it depends on the shop. i know my shop would handle it for me even if i didn't buy from them. ive done this before with a fork. you can give it a shot. in your situation i would keep trying to get in touch with david at fly for the snapped cranks.

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
a kid in my area snapped his cranks in the same place, after taking a closer look it also looked like there was some porosity in the weld, that may hav cause the weakness of it. The shop he got them from called Fly bacuse it should be a warranty issue, its been happening a lot latelly.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You can't see exactly from that photo, but that looks like a brittle failure to me and I think I see that by the pedal the 'fracture' surface has some rust right to the edge. That would suggest the presence of an existing crack. Seems probably a poor weld is to blame.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
wow, that is rough!
didn't expect these problems out of the fly cranks... The haters need to chill though. I'm sure the product will be revised when they see all of these coming back for warranty.

I've seen profiles cracked similar to that too, just at the spindle boss, not at the pedal. I've got photos if somebody wants to see...
This EXACT problem is what the TSC torrids were supposed to take care of with the 1pc cnc'ed backbone that makes the spindle boss the same pc as the pedal insert, an inherent flaw of the profiles ever since the beginning that they have never revised. Profiles are sick and have been around so long they are the standard by which others are measured, but you can't congratulate them for trying anything new, that's for sure...

I also think that 8g difference between ti and fly is up for review. But I'm not one to argue as I could care less. I know Demo medials w/ ti spindle are lighter than fly or wombolts, but the medial arms (as well as torrid) are significantly lighter than profile arms. Also, what length profile arms and spindle did that person have?

Sam, please let us know how the warranty process goes. by the way, you happen to have any more pictures?

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Yeah you shouldn't sweat the one dude who is bummed he has a heavier bike... 22.5 lbs is pretty easy to achieve with new stuff without even going crazy with ti...

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
word on the street is that from the ammount they have sold of these cranks, the few that are coming back is nothing to worry about. There are bound to be a few that will break, unfortunatly it happened to you and a friend of mine so far but should be covered hopefully.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
Got an email today, and the guy was real sorry, and wanted to get something done as soon as i did. I'm sure everything is going to be fine, and my next set i'll rock for dayyyys

its not like im going to have a part break on me after 4 months, and just scrap it and throw down another $175 for cranks. these were able to last ruban a year and a half or something, they'll treat me just fine.

I actually just snapped my Flys in the same spot pedaling down a drop ramp two days ago. The part that chaps me is they were only two and a half months old and had only been ridden in the park. No street, no grinds, no drops. I'm also fairly smooth so there is no excuse in my opinion. I am not pleased at all! Off to sell some Fly's and get some Hollowbites with a ti spindle. Atleast they'll twist before they snap!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Sounds like it's a batch or 2 with crappy welds rather than design itself if the cranks are failing in such a short time.

It happens and I wouldn't be surprised if Profile had a bad batch or 2 at some point. You have to remember, Profile cranks have been around and a long while before the internet when you would hear a lot more about parts failing.

Sounds like it's a batch or 2 with crappy welds rather than design itself if the cranks are failing in such a short time.

It happens and I wouldn't be surprised if Profile had a bad batch or 2 at some point. You have to remember, Profile cranks have been around and a long while before the internet when you would hear a lot more about parts failing.
Those were the first and last batch so far. (from what I've been told by the head BMX guy from EasternBoarder)

I think they are a cool design but really need more material at the pedal area to work well.

xcursedx

Chimp
Mar 11, 2007
519 ( forrest city massive )
fly cranks suck , wombolts suck/

take a good look at them the crank boss ( where the spindle goes in ) is sooo thin it's scary

the torrid's look pretty good though, i'm sticking with my powerbites ( soon to be 2 pairs =) ..) and my profile ss's

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
RD mentioned to me that he heard a batch (possibly some of the first batch) had some bad welds/heat treating down there. As someone mentioned on the porosity around the weld area. I believe it is already worked out and future crank arms should be set.