Quantcast

Fly cranks with a euro BB?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm guessing no, but figured I'd ask.

I have a pretty much brand new pair of Fly cranks. Anyway I could run these on a frame like a black market or something?

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
Yes. Buy a BMX Euro BB. Not hard to find, really. Orrrrrrrrrr....

Take a Shimano/RaceFace X-Type BB, and pry the bearings out. Then pop in a Spanish BB (OD of the bearings is the same), run the dust caps, and play with spacers for chainline. I think the first option is cheaper and easier.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
so I can't run an outbound (not sure of the correct name, bearings are on the outside of the BB) BB?

The bmx euro bearings seem pretty tiny.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
might be a tight fit or not work at all. fly spindles are short (i think 5.75") you may need 6" or more to set up a blk mkt or similar mtb frame.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I ran them on my GT Ruckus UF 24 for a while with the Eastern Euro bb. The bearings were pretty itty bitty, but it worked for a couple months until I got a new frame.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yes, you can do it, but be prepared for possible issues with the bearings. The 22mm spindle means that the euro bearings will be super thin. I ran Wombolts (also 22mm) on a spanish bb for awhile and I had some issues with the bearings... euro would be even worse.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Hmmm.

Anyone want to buys some pretty much brand new, 170mm Fly cranks? :D