Quantcast

Fly Fishing

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I was battling narrow creeks with all of the willows in the world overhanging them in the area I was exploring at 10k ft in the Lost Creek Wilderness over the weekend. Lots of beaver ponds, but with the willows, tough to find good fishing spots.

20220709_164538.jpg

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I was battling narrow creeks with all of the willows in the world overhanging them in the area I was exploring at 10k ft in the Lost Creek Wilderness over the weekend. Lots of beaver ponds, but with the willows, tough to find good fishing spots.

View attachment 178867
Oh, man... Lost Creek? :panic:

Taryall Creek is not too far and has a few decent access points and the willows aren't quite so bad. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Oh, man... Lost Creek? :panic:

Taryall Creek is not too far and has a few decent access points and the willows aren't quite so bad. :D
You've tried up there then?

Objective for the weekend was to check off riding that section of the CT between North Fork and Long Gulch trailheads. With the bikes hanging off the back of the camper a quick fish in the nearby creeks was all that we had time for.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
You've tried up there then?
A long, long, LONG time ago. I could have warned you. :)

Objective for the weekend was to check off riding that section of the CT between North Fork and Long Gulch trailheads. With the bikes hanging off the back of the camper a quick fish in the nearby creeks was all that we had time for.
That section of the CT is pretty damned fun... although it has been a LONG time since I've ridden that as well. 1st time we did it as an out-n-back from Kenosha. That was a mistake. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That section of the CT is pretty damned fun... although it has been a LONG time since I've ridden that as well. 1st time we did it as an out-n-back from Kenosha. That was a mistake.
Can't do an out and back now, maybe in your younger years :D

It's wilderness between Rock Creek TH and Long Gulch TH, so you can only ride on CT from Kenosha to Rock Creek and then no-go until Long Gulch to North Fork.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
for those of you that don't tie their own flies (like I have any time for that) these guys have some great deals.

I signed up for their emils and constantly score some good collections , I got 16 nymphs for $24 with a fly box. a set of 48 dry flies etc they ship next day via mail with free shipping.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I looked at slings when I was gearing up, but ended up with a lightweight Orvis vest.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Been meaning to post this for a while, keep forgetting. One of the places I go on holiday often (a friend’s bach) on Lake Taupō (say toe-paw) is owned by an old guy who is super into trout and fly fishing. Anyway this is one of the bookshelves in said bach – fishtastic.

5E280222-6AFE-4B36-8851-E47DDC25060F.jpeg

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
Decided to go with the sling pack, I wanted a new toy anyways LOL

this is my current vest, it has many many years on it
I've got a couple sling packs, I hate wearing vests. The only down side for me is the difficulty in carrying a net. Hanging it off the back of a vest works better than trying to hang it off the sling, it will bounce off the ground every time you spin the sling around to access it in front.

Most of my fishing is bushwhacking small creeks for small trout, so I don't generally carry a net anyway.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
This sling has a net loop at the top or the pack and I have a short handle net
I just watch’ed a You Tube video of a older Gent and he had the Sickest Net. As I was watching him,I could not see a Net. My eye catches a Square, I think it was Leather,on his belt. It was about the size of these Huge Cell phones you see. He was Rockin a Proper Vest with a Round Hat. Boo Ya,he hook’s a fish pulls out the collapsable Net from his Case. Proper Size Net it was. If memory serves me(old school Iron Chef comment)he only folded it 3 times. He the made a few moments on he he loved it. I can find it if you want?

Avy

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I just watch’ed a You Tube video of a older Gent and he had the Sickest Net. As I was watching him,I could not see a Net. My eye catches a Square, I think it was Leather,on his belt. It was about the size of these Huge Cell phones you see. He was Rockin a Proper Vest with a Round Hat. Boo Ya,he hook’s a fish pulls out the collapsable Net from his Case. Proper Size Net it was. If memory serves me(old school Iron Chef comment)he only folded it 3 times. He the made a few moments on he he loved it. I can find it if you want?

Avy
sure

this is my current net. it attaches to the carbiner via a strong magnet. I just grab and pull and it pops loose. It pretty much stays out of my way otherwise
20220725_131037~2.jpg