Quantcast

Foam Rollers...ouch.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
So here I am, at 36 a mess of torn ligaments, cartilage, twisted bones and ruptured discs. To add insult to injury above that I'm covered in a layer of protective Karate fat. It's amazing how quickly it comes on and how many excuses one will make in the process to denying that they have in-fact orca'd the **** up. I said I'm washing my clothes too much in too hot of water rather than saying hey you were 175 lbs. your 200 now, 210, 220, 240 and actually dealing with the problem at hand.

I began skateboarding at 8, at 8 I had snapped my leg, at 11 I had broken my left arm, at 14 I broke my ankle. At 18 I broke both balls of my feet. At 23 I tore my MCL, 3 weeks (6 months after the injury) after finally being able to go skate again I snapped my Scaphoid. Mountain biking has knocked me out, Tore my ACL in my shoulder, I had broken ribs, and blown my back apart. All of these things happened because in my head I'm still a 175 6'2" dude who was nimble. Im not even going to try add up the ankle sprains. If I were to guess it easily numbers well over 100. All of these suffered and healed by excessive drinking and a good smattering of drug usage. Do enough coke and drink 28 PBR's and you'll be running down the street on a uncasted broken ankle.

Last Sunday while doing yard work I bent over to pick-up dog poop and was subjected to the most immense pain I have ever experienced. Like someone had stabbed me in the spine with a shovel. Because of all of the prior injuries and a considerable amount of tattoo work I have always considered myself tough. This made me a child, un-capable of movement and any made me feel like I was being given surgery without any local. I was lucky enough to make it to the bed before I passed out.

The next 5 hours of trying to get up and get to the hospital, then having to sit in a wheelchair until I could be admitted and given real painkillers was a ****ing nightmare. I was given dilaudid, percocet and vallium. At 36 these seem to be vital to any kind of recovery. I count not imagine having to do anything without those lovelies.

Because of the 2 back injuries and the grade 3 shoulder separation I have missed almost 1.5 years of riding. Along with a rather healthy diet and commuting to work on my bike I decided it's time to get back to the old me. After watching those mtb strength videos I decided to head out to buy a foam roller. After spending 20 minutes or so doing the shoulder exercises in the video I can easily say that none of the bones in my body appear to be where they are supposed to. I can clearly see how these rollers are well worth it. Just in the first 20 minutes I am able to actually raise my blown up shoulder above my head without pain like in the video.

At bit long winded (probably the handful of percocet's I took when I got home after a painful day at work) But Those rollers are so worth it in just working out the knots you don't even know exist laster this week i'll be visiting an acpuncturist for the first time at the recommendation of several riders.

So, for all you 22 year olds out there, for god's sake car care of your injuries do all the rehab and stretch.

Because it's so easy to look like this (for those that know me, if I shaved my beard, got blacked out and put on 15 pounds in my face you'd see the resemblance)

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Theres nothing scenester about doing coke in a dimly lit basement while ever last has a gun drawn on you. But then again all yayo should be done that way. sketch.

You should come west for a ride dude.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
BO - what is this fom roller you speak of. I am not sure if I would be able to find one here in Korea but I would be interested since I understand the pains you speak of.:thumb:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Foam roller is what keeps me from going back under the knife for a FOURTH back surgery. Mtb has been great for me...

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
My wife looked at me funny when I asked if there was room in the suitcase so I can take my roller with me on vacation. It's helped to keep me from going to the chiropractor for the last few months.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
My wife bought one since she heard they help a lot but its been sitting down in our workout room for a few years now...

Any links to videos or articles on how to use them? I am constantly getting injured. I have added strength training and stretching to help but am open to new things

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
The high-density foam is great for heavier people, those already used to the pain or not afraid of pain. The softer units tend to get worn out, even softer and oval/flattish... then not roll so well.

For some really effective rolling torture, try ABS pipe.

Another great massage tool is the "Tiger Tail" hand held roller. It's small too, so it's good for traveling

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Another great massage tool is the "Tiger Tail" hand held roller. It's small too, so it's good for traveling
I've been dissappointed with the "Tiger tail".....mine just doesn't move fluid enough. Don't care for the design...

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
My SO is an acupuncturist and I'll vouch for giving it a try. Based on her experiences, I've found the two most common benefits are relief from chronic pain and sleeping disorders. Pretty amazing sometimes.

Private practices can be spendy, even with insurance, as most times the benefit for these 'alternative medicines' has an annual cap, and then it's costly out-of-pocket to continue.

The alternative is to find a community clinic which offers a sliding-scale fee. There's a national map of clinics here that fall in a $15-$40 treatment window. Urban Acupuncture Center looks like it might be in your area from your sig. Treatment is in common areas on typically recliners, you stay fully clothed, needling on the arms/legs/head, but the acu trigger points used are no less effective than a private treatment, IME.

I'm feeling the maturation pain myself. This spring has been the hardest yet to lose the winter fat. Good luck bringing yourself around.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Foam roller is what keeps me from going back under the knife for a FOURTH back surgery. Mtb has been great for me...
Stoney,
Can you either give me some more info here or via IM? I'd like more detail about these foam rollers and their use for lower back issues.

About 4 years ago I royally screwed my back up (bulging disk in lower back between L4 and L5) and I've still never fully recovered. I did my PT but then never really continued it at home. Screwed it up again, PT again, slacked again... Screwed it up a 3rd time, did the PT and have continued the stretching portion of the PT (still doing it) but of course slacked on the exercises.

I've been "healthy" (about 90% of pre injury) for about 2 yrs now (KNOCK ON WOOD) but I still get that nagging shooting pain in my back when I try to lift up my kid in the mornings etc.

Starting to get the motivation to do the strength stuff now. What about these though. Would it be good to add to the routine?
:p

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
For lower back i've had better luck with Softballs. Can just target the area better. Lower back is tuff to get with a foam roller...

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
The hair-puller, skin-pincher stick? :)
weird about a tiger tail not rolling smoothly, not much to go wrong unless there's dirt in there. maybe some lube will help. Mine's about a year old and rolls fine.

For digging into lower back and glutes check out the "Ball Punktur" ... spikey softball-size meat tenderizer.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
My foam roller keeps me going. Also, softballs and baseballs are great for spots that are harder for the roller to penetrate (around the scapula + neck), they're also easier to pack.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Here's some of the exercises. http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf

Really works well for helping to add core as well as remove tension buildup in areas.

..and everyone should watch these videos. This is what got me to do it. Having two grade3 shoulder separations as well as a broken collarbone, I have severe pain lifting my arms straight above my head and problems keeping my shoulders away from my ears. Using the rollers alone on my shoulders/upper back and arms has tremendously helped to add a significant amount of pain free movement.

Ive never been to a chiro, but the first time I used this and did the back/shoulder blade process my back cracked entirely up the spine in a way it hasn't done before and was such a good relief.

Last edited:

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
great thread....i have that exact same roller...it's MUCH harder...hurts a bit more as it doesn't give, but it's better in some ways for certain other exercises...just be careful as it puts more pressure/area than the softer white ones
After trying both the softer white and harder black rollers, this roller is my favorite. http://www.optp.com/Pro-Roller-Series.aspx

It's firm enough to work out the toughest spots and lasts longer than the standard foam rollers.

I also like using a lacrosse ball for the areas the foam roller can't reach.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Stoney,
Can you either give me some more info here or via IM? I'd like more detail about these foam rollers and their use for lower back issues.

About 4 years ago I royally screwed my back up (bulging disk in lower back between L4 and L5) and I've still never fully recovered. I did my PT but then never really continued it at home. Screwed it up again, PT again, slacked again... Screwed it up a 3rd time, did the PT and have continued the stretching portion of the PT (still doing it) but of course slacked on the exercises.

I've been "healthy" (about 90% of pre injury) for about 2 yrs now (KNOCK ON WOOD) but I still get that nagging shooting pain in my back when I try to lift up my kid in the mornings etc.

Starting to get the motivation to do the strength stuff now. What about these though. Would it be good to add to the routine?
:p
It's more of what causes lower back problems:

1. Lack of core strength
2. Lack of flexibility

Core strength is an easy fix. Get a workout ball and start doing ab workout on it. You can also get an Indo Board to add more fun to your core workout. Once you get a good base you can start using a medicine ball with your core workout. I tend to just do core workouts when I am watching TV.

Flexibility is a bit harder, as it comes slowly. See this post I wrote up a while back: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3201492&postcount=19

I always stop to stretch mid-ride and stretch my hamstrings and IT after riding. I look like a dork, but it prevents injury.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.

1. Lack of core strength
2. Lack of flexibility

Core strength is an easy fix. Get a workout ball and start doing ab workout on it. You can also get an Indo Board to add more fun to your core workout. Once you get a good base you can start using a medicine ball with your core workout. I tend to just do core workouts when I am watching TV.

Flexibility is a bit harder, as it comes slowly. See this post I wrote up a while back: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3201492&postcount=19

I always stop to stretch mid-ride and stretch my hamstrings and IT after riding. I look like a dork, but it prevents injury.
I do (or try to do) the stretching. Hammies, front hips, and some "cat-cow" for the back. I just hate the core work.
:rant:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007

1. Lack of core strength
2. Lack of flexibility

Just go easy on #5 on that referenced post ("lower back rotation"). That's generally fallen out of favor according to:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Back-Fitness-Performance-4th/dp/B002C9ERUG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312315615&sr=8-2

which seems to be the best reference I've come across with regard to back problems and athletics.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Reasoning? did they have anything equivalent for the rotational stretching?
I'll have a look later. My recollection is that it's mainly done because it feels good, but can have some negatives in terms of stress levels in the discs. I still do those stretches, but go really easy...there doesn't seem to be any benefit to increasing that range of motion.

Edit: Not to quote the entire thing, but the relevant section is "Stretching of the low back is perceived by many to "feel good", yet very few with bad backs actually qualify to train with this approach. Flexion and rotational stretching overloads the annulus fibers often exacerbating the spinal tissues which can occur unbeknownst to the individual. Yet they continue the practice, reporting that it "feels good". They are perceiving stretch, probably via the muscle based stretch receptors, which provides the illusion of something helpful. Generally they are ensuring that they remain chronic and will not make advances until stretching is stopped. Solomonow's group (2003,2008) have shown that static stretching of the spine ligaments can cause muscle spasms and diminishes the stretch reflex."

Last edited:

j-posch

Monkey
Jun 25, 2007
I tried the foam roller for a bulging disc, did not help much. But I still use it after a hard ride etc as a self massage, leaves you feeling more relaxed and maybe helps to prevent muscle soreness a bit.

To anyone suffering back pain, try this book. I was given it by a road cyclist friend who had a similar injury and we are both good now. I will not go on about it as it sounds pretty far out, but it works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind--Connection/dp/0446557684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312375576&sr=8-1

Evan55

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
oh man, this feels like a support group.

I have several herniated discs, and bad back pain when I ride.

Been doing stretching and core strengthening like its my job for the past 2 years, with no good results.

I got a foam roller, however, it did not help either, in fact everytime i use it on my upper back it cramps/ causes a muscle pull in between my shoulder blades.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I tried the foam roller for a bulging disc, did not help much. But I still use it after a hard ride etc as a self massage, leaves you feeling more relaxed and maybe helps to prevent muscle soreness a bit.

To anyone suffering back pain, try this book. I was given it by a road cyclist friend who had a similar injury and we are both good now. I will not go on about it as it sounds pretty far out, but it works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind--Connection/dp/0446557684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312375576&sr=8-1
I read that and saw Dr Sarno. Really helped. Stress=Back Pain

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
oh man, this feels like a support group.

I have several herniated discs, and bad back pain when I ride.

Been doing stretching and core strengthening like its my job for the past 2 years, with no good results.

I got a foam roller, however, it did not help either, in fact everytime i use it on my upper back it cramps/ causes a muscle pull in between my shoulder blades.
What stretching and core strengthening are you doing?

I've had good results with the following:

http://www.yourbetterback.com/CoreStabilizationHealthyLowerBack.pdf

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Inverted gravity boots are the bizz. Hanging upside down freely once did wonders for my back. I litterly felt myself fall back into place it was the craziest feeling imaginable. Its basically like an inversion table, but your back is not supported. you can twist yourself and stretch muscles you didnt know you could stretch. Its great, check it out.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Inverted gravity boots are the bizz. Hanging upside down freely once did wonders for my back. I litterly felt myself fall back into place it was the craziest feeling imaginable. Its basically like an inversion table, but your back is not supported. you can twist yourself and stretch muscles you didnt know you could stretch. Its great, check it out.
Mork used those....

Evan55

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
What stretching and core strengthening are you doing?

I've had good results with the following:

http://www.yourbetterback.com/CoreStabilizationHealthyLowerBack.pdf
stretching I focus on hips, SA joint, and legs. I used to do that floor twist stretch which felt good but I wondered if it was wrenching the discs and making it worse. sounds like there is some research to back up my hunch.
the only lower back exercise i do is a "mckenzie pressup" that my doctor (and this doctor) recommend
http://www.backexercisedoctor.com/journal/2011/7/30/video-of-mckenzie-press-up-exercise-first-aid-for-back-pain.html
not sure how muchit helps (or if its bad like the twist) but it sure does make the back feel better after a day of sitting at a desk. oh and i do the cat / "arch and curl" stretch on my back, but im not sure if that even counts.

for core stuff, I do just about it all. I focus on stability exercises: planks and renegades are my favorites, and pushups with feet on a stability ball work great too. then the standard bicycle crunches, stability ball crunches, and leg raises. got a TRX but havent mounted it yet.

i use the foam roller on legs, IT bands, hips, butt and lower back. but everytime i use it on my upper back and shoulders my upper back muscles cramp and i get a muscle pull :confused:
i wonder if i have a herniated disc that is pinching a nerve up there

thats a good pdf resource, im goign to incorporate that into my routine (well, whenever this upper back muscle pull heals.... *sigh* (