Quantcast

FOCF '07 Capitol Forest Super D #1 June 9

JimEG

Chimp
May 29, 2006
Capitol Forest
Come one come all, plumb smugglers and baggies alike!!!!

Saturday June 9 Capitol Forest Super D #1

A benefit race series with 100% of the proceeds going back into Capitol Forest, yes 100% of the event proceeds, this is for the cause!!!

What it is: Mima Porter #8, The Bliss Cruise, Super D #1. 12-ish miles, some climbing, lots of descending through open clear cuts with breathtaking views and majestic and pristine coniferous forests

What you get for $35: A sweet race on a classic Cap trail, a shuttle to the top, lunch, custom dog tags (thanks to professor D) for top three in every class and prizes for all by raffle for everyone

Why: Because Capitol Forest is home to 170+ miles of singletrack, and it relies mostly upon volunteer labor and efforts to maintain it

Also....: IMBA members get a $2 discount, and come to FOCF work party and get another $10 off!!!! (shouldn't every mtb race offer these kind of discounts?)

This is the first of three Super D races here this summer. All three will take you on a tour of three of the most classic routes in Cap. Series points are tallied and at the final Super D #3 in August all class winners will be given prizes donated by WTB (the original trail bike parts company) and the series male and female winner in the Expert/Pro class will also be given custom CNC'd Capitol Forest KING and QUEEN of the mountain '07 belt buckles!!! (thanks to Port Angeles High School)

What else, and another also....: We will be having a season closer Poker Run in September, a good event for the family, beginners and hard cores alike to all come together hang, ride, and WIN A $3000 Diamond Back Mission 3:shocked: mountain bike !!! Thats right, at the final event we will be giving away a new Diamond Back trail riders dream. You are entered to for every FOCF work party or event you attend this summer. Wow! Thanks to Diamond Back for donating this sweet ride to the cause!

For more info on the epic summer season in Capitol Forest go to:
http://www.capitolforest.com/racesFOCF07.html

Check out the photos, topos and maps of the courses, see the video of the dog tags getting water jet cut, click on our sponsors links.......

See you all at the races and work parties this summer!!!

-FOCF

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
^^^^^ya that sounds like it will be really bad, now when are you posting all your picgnars from today?

back on topic: will there be a single speed class?

JimEG

Chimp
May 29, 2006
Capitol Forest
No SS class.

Part of the challenge of these events is equipment choice. They aren't quite XC, not quite DH, but you must use the same bike for all three for series points...so what is the best bike set up for the courses? Single Speed? XC suicide machine? Slacky DH? Buffed out trail bike (my personal choice)?

Run what you brung and we'll see!:pirate2:

JimEG

Chimp
May 29, 2006
Capitol Forest
When we put our dates together we looked up Hood's to make sure we didn't overlap. Either they changed theirs or we were hitting the crack pipe again. We definitely didn't want to overlap, not sure what happened

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
When we put our dates together we looked up Hood's to make sure we didn't overlap. Either they changed theirs or we were hitting the crack pipe again. We definitely didn't want to overlap, not sure what happened, and its to late to change ours now. The good news though is that their race is Sunday, ours is Saturday, if you are up for it.
Lame...Never trust an Oregonian, they are almost as bad as Canadians.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
well fine, who else is going to kick ass with me on a ss dj bike:shocked:
man.... i might be with you on that one.... can anyone vouch for the amount of uphill there is? Also, is the downhill technical at all on any of the Super D courses?
I basically have the choice between a 46 lb fully DH rig or my P1.... i'm leaning towards the P1

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
This last Sat I did what should be #1.Leave the DH rig home for that one,I don't know about the other two yet.The most I would do on #1 is a five inch bike built light with some fast rolling rubber,some hills,nothing to big but the downhills are pretty buff.The best set up for #1 will be a hardtail to light weight 4"travel bike.I didnt find anything to rough,a few muddy holes,some small ditches and some short flat rocky sections(no more than maybe 30 feet long per section).

JimEG

Chimp
May 29, 2006
Capitol Forest
Course modifications to Super D #1 and #2

see here:
http://www.capitolforest.com/racesFOCF07courses.html

In order to run the shuttle smoothly and efficiently and have the best possible lines while maintaining good Super D formats we modified the first two routes.

#1 Bliss Cruise was modified in order to eliminate two road sections up top and some of the climbing. Same great trail, but less shuttle time and less gravel road and climbing.

#2 Berm Basher was modified in order to eliminate the climb up Mt Molly at the end, and to reduce the risk of conflict with ATV traffic coming up the other side of that section of trail. The new finish area is in a better location to. No ATV traffic and plenty of room. This will be the "top to bottom" course, with a flat section in the middle with some pedaling and then berm after berm after berm.

#3 Sooper Classik....perfect as is.

:clapping:

Good times still guaranteed.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Course modifications to Super D #1 and #2

see here:
http://www.capitolforest.com/racesFOCF07courses.html

In order to run the shuttle smoothly and efficiently and have the best possible lines while maintaining good Super D formats we modified the first two routes.

#1 Bliss Cruise was modified in order to eliminate two road sections up top and some of the climbing. Same great trail, but less shuttle time and less gravel road and climbing.

#2 Berm Basher was modified in order to eliminate the climb up Mt Molly at the end, and to reduce the risk of conflict with ATV traffic coming up the other side of that section of trail. The new finish area is in a better location to. No ATV traffic and plenty of room. This will be the "top to bottom" course, with a flat section in the middle with some pedaling and then berm after berm after berm.

#3 Sooper Classik....perfect as is.

:clapping:

Good times still guaranteed.
Just looked at the new elevation profile,it now shows #1 as only 3.76 miles,some of the better descents are higher up any way it could be lenghtened some?

JimEG

Chimp
May 29, 2006
Capitol Forest
Longer was our original intention, but in order to use good safe shuttle vehicles and trailers the last rider would start after 3:00, to late. The drive up to Wedekind is looong. The new course still has ripping descents. There is the super flowy section in the trees, then the fast section in the clear cut, with more fast sections below in the trees above the creek. The original feel of the course and trail is still definitely there.

The only way to pull it off with the longer route would be with bikes stacked in the back of uhauls, for 45min up, with damage to bikes almost garunteed.

We've got a very clean shuttle sytem set up with well built bike racks on trailers, with the FOCF shuttle bus and RAMCO's quad cab.

Puting on a quality event is our priority.

This is the first of 3 epic Super D's here this summer. Each route is completely unique, and will test everyone's all around skills on a mountain bike and equipment selection will be just as crucial. It is going to be a good summer for mountain bike racing here.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
man.... i might be with you on that one.... can anyone vouch for the amount of uphill there is? Also, is the downhill technical at all on any of the Super D courses?
I basically have the choice between a 46 lb fully DH rig or my P1.... i'm leaning towards the P1
hardtail for life (except when riding downhill)

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
so i wouldn't be totally out of place on a dh race rig on the second one?
I wouldn't recommend a DH rig on any of the three courses. You could run one for the fun of it but you'll be suffering towards the end. Your best bet is a six inch all mountain bike built up pretty light, or if you got skills on a hardtail you could make that work.

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
Go with the p1.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
oh bummer...all I have is a 45lb DH bike...

ughh.
well it sounds like a good fun race, by any chance is their any shopping or anything down their...that way I can convince my mom to take me.

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
The course got completely buffed out this last Saturday at the Friends of Capitol Forest work party. It's going to be 4 miles of fast and flowy singletrack!

I'm guessing the fastest times will be around 20 minutes.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
those of you who are doing it on a dh bike why not just go to hood and use it for its intent. why arn't you going to hood with eren stephen?!?!?!

brakecheck

Chimp
Nov 28, 2006
olympia,wa
dudes, we shuttle the forest every weekend, there are plenty of guys who run single speeds and hang quite well. i suggest you do it.-brakecheck:monkeydance:

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Is there onsite registration for this? I have some family coming to town so I cant do the hood race. But running up to olympia for the day might be ok.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Is there onsite registration for this? I have some family coming to town so I cant do the hood race. But running up to olympia for the day might be ok.
Yes, there will be.

Super D shuttle capacity is limited to 105-ish participants per event
Preregistration is not required, but is the only guarantee of your free ride to the top (or you can drive up yourself)
Your entry fee covers the race fee, free on site bike repair (The Bike Guy), lunch at every event, and the shuttle for the Super D events.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Yes, there will be.

Super D shuttle capacity is limited to 105-ish participants per event
Preregistration is not required, but is the only guarantee of your free ride to the top (or you can drive up yourself)
Your entry fee covers the race fee, free on site bike repair (The Bike Guy), lunch at every event, and the shuttle for the Super D events.
The onsite registration closed today at 12p EST.

capslayer

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Olympia
dudes, we shuttle the forest every weekend, there are plenty of guys who run single speeds and hang quite well. i suggest you do it.-brakecheck:monkeydance:
Thats true. There are a lot of guys who only run DH bikes in Cap Forest. I've ridden quite a few of the trails on mine.

If you want to be competitive on one throw some lightweight tires and tubes on, raise the saddle a little bit, drink a red bull right before your run, and make up time on the fast DH sections!

JimEG

Chimp
May 29, 2006
Capitol Forest
The course is buffed and FAST. Day of registration is open from 8-9. Race whatever bike you happen have. This is Super D racing, anyone could take it.

brakecheck

Chimp
Nov 28, 2006
olympia,wa
planned on volunteering lost too much time in traffic, had afternoon appt.s, couldn't afford to cut through the forest or go all the way around from orv to hwy 12. next time.:rockout: