Quantcast

Foes 2:1 Mono . . . not for the faint of heart.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
So the new FXR wasn't the only new picture I got from Foes this morning.

The 2006 2:1 DHS Mono

Foes says:
Includes custom chainguide, 160mm custom Hadley hub, post-mount floating brake assembly. 4 oversize sealed cartridges in the main pivot. 10" of wheel travel via 5" stroke Curnutt shock. Head angle adjustable +/- 2 degrees via rod-end shock eyelet. Steel, ti, and dual-rate ti spring options available. 83mm BB shell. MSRP starts at $2949 with a steel spring, $3166 with ti spring, $3385 with dual-rate ti. Weight is estimated to be about the same as the existing DHS Mono; the front end is bit heavier but the swingarm lost some weight. The current Mono is still going to be available.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Wow, I hope to create something as friggin' cool at some point in my life!

Does it have a swing linky too??

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
It's actually two springs. The frame is designed to be fairly linear, since the shock has such a large volume it's going to ramp up quite a bit (or at least can be set up to do so). The dual-rate option is basically two shorter springs with a delrin spacer/connector piece so you can run a 250 and a 300 if you a) don't quite measure up to just the 250 or just the 300, or b) want more progression than the 250 will provide. Those aren't the only spring rate options, just throwing some numbers out for the sake of illustration.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
James | Go-Ride said:
It's actually two springs. The frame is designed to be fairly linear, since the shock has such a large volume it's going to ramp up quite a bit (or at least can be set up to do so). The dual-rate option is basically two shorter springs with a delrin spacer/connector piece so you can run a 250 and a 300 if you a) don't quite measure up to just the 250 or just the 300, or b) want more progression than the 250 will provide. Those aren't the only spring rate options, just throwing some numbers out for the sake of illustration.
AAhhhhh...now I understand...

hmmm....that would be awesome for me!! Cause with the longer the stroke, the thicker the spring has to be for the higher weight of spring(right?? i.d. and outer clearance are affected...)...so if I could do a dual spring combo, I could prolly get the correct spring rate more easily for the leverage ratio/progressive-ness of the frame....

(keeping in mind that I'm 6'7" and 260 with gear...)

hmmm....might be worth the investment....

Thanks dude!!!

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
That is rediculously sick, 06 foes line looks amazing, that and a fxr 4x would be a magically gravity stable.

Love the 2-1 ratio, as long as the curnutt performs...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Wow, beautiful frame. It's interesting to see a leverage ratio that low. What was the stroke on the Curnutt for the previous Mono?

So much for Mantiou and Trek's claim that 2.7:1 is the ideal leverage ratio! I can't wait to hear how those things perform.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I don't care how well it rides or works - that thing is sick. I want one.

My shock is bigger than your shock...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
zedro said:
they meant for that particular shock, not leverage ratios in general. Every design would have it's own ideal.
That might be what they meant, but that's not what they said. Or maybe NSMB.com was taking it out of context: "Manitou has calculated that the optimum leverage ratio for a rear shock on a long travel bike is 2.7:1" Of course that's BS... Trek just said that to make their design sound superior.

It's always cool to see something that has never been done before on a production DH bike, and I think this design falls under that category.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
WheelieMan said:
That might be what they meant, but that's not what they said. Or maybe NSMB.com was taking it out of context: "Manitou has calculated that the optimum leverage ratio for a rear shock on a long travel bike is 2.7:1" Of course that's BS... Trek just said that to make their design sound superior.
well substitue "a rear shock" for "their rear shock"....cus i doubt they could test every variation of shock design out there.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
kidwoo said:
Is it just me or does it look like it's got about 12 feet of a$$ hanging off the back?

Yeah the front end does look pretty short. I think it's just the forward pivot or something, or maybe the angle of the frame in the shot too.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
me and the curb drunkerd, err I mean curb hucker were checking that beast out at the SOC. Sooooo sick.

S.K.C. said:
aha!

So that was the proto from Sea Otter...looks like it weighs a metric ton...

Looks a lot better with the paint, and burly as hell. :thumb:

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
OGRipper said:
Yeah the front end does look pretty short. I think it's just the forward pivot or something, or maybe the angle of the frame in the shot too.
As well as the forward and slack seattube and 18 inch chainstays, assuming the frame has the same geometry as the previous Mono.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
what are the main advantages of having such a low leverage rate. dose the rear wheel track better or something?

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
julian_dh said:
what are the main advantages of having such a low leverage rate. dose the rear wheel track better or something?

Originally posted in the '06 FXR thread:

James | Go-Ride said:
Manufacturers have been, almost across the board, moving to lower leverages on all of their bikes. Leverage by itself isn't an indicator of suspension performance, other than lower is better since you can run softer spring rates which increase the life and performance of your shock. They increase performance by allowing the valving to move in smaller increments; a shock that is running say a 700# spring is going to have to have a LOT of rebound damping available to control the return of a spring that powerful, but still has to be compatible with a 350# spring on a different bike. Purpose-built (or at least purpose-valved) shocks like the Curnutt, or a custom-tuned Push or Avy or whatever, is going to have a range of valving specific to only minor variances in spring rate, which means more usable adjustment. Plus, longer stroke shocks have more oil volume in them (than the same shock design with a shorter stroke) as a rule of thumb, which helps to keep oil/shock temperatures down and reduce cavitation.