Quantcast

Folks were on House Hunters International!!!!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Ok, well, maybe not actually my folks, but it was the town they own the Remax brokerage in.

Maybe some of you remember the town I've talked about, Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point, Mexico, in the past, the town my family has been going to for the past 30+ years. Well, HHI had a show located in it, and they showed 3 of the resorts that have been built in the past several years. Though it wasn't actually done with my parents, the agent did work for them in the past. I felt the show gave a good light on the area, even with all the trouble going on in Mexico in general.

And to think I'll be there next month doing my bucket-list bike ride from the border to town. I can't wait......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
i hope the ride isn't more than a mile on a well lit street.
Actually, it'll be about 60 miles, and I will have a support van driving behind me as blocker to keep the maniac drivers going wide around me. I'll feel safe now that the road has been widened and stay as far right as I can....

I feel betrayed. I can never trust your thread titles again.
My apologize to you, IH8, and JK. I was just too excited to see the little fishing town we visit, and now family owns a business there, on tv. I never did play that Bacon/degree game, so how do I grovel to regain your trust in my posts???????

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Funny thing is they actually own the house before they even film the show. Then, they show you two other houses that you didn't even look at or consider. Just like every other 'reality' show, the whole thing is BS.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Funny thing is they actually own the house before they even film the show. Then, they show you two other houses that you didn't even look at or consider. Just like every other 'reality' show, the whole thing is BS.
i had to explain how the show wasn't representative of how the house buying process actually works. (note: we have just started looking for our first house)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
My buddy is a State Farm agent and had a client in Huntington Beach that was on the show. It's basically show and tell. Watching it to see what the houses and prices are like in certain areas are one thing. Thinking the people are actually 'choosing' any of those houses is comical.

And yes, once you go through the process, it isn't even close. It sucks much more balls. Although I'm looking forward to moving to a bigger place with the wife, not looking forward to going through the whole process again. Not to mention the fact that pretty much everyone is trying to rip you off hoping you don't notice a couple hundy here or a grand there when you financing a couple hundred thou.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
House hunting should come with a bullet proof vest, sex offender search grid, police reports on all motor vehicle activity in the past year on your route to and from work and detailed 360 degree images of what your home looks like in summer and winter (shut up SoCal).

The realtor should be required to take you door to door to meet and chat for 15 minutes with each neighbor and only need ask them 2 simple questions:

1: Who's the worst neighbor we got?
2. Is that your cat?

Last test for your new home would be a trail cam aimed at your mailbox for 1 week.

Update: Deal breaker. Have each neighbor point out what they say is the property line and what they "believe" belongs to them.

The above test would ensure you land your dream home. Don't know if even a single house would pass all of the above, but sure would narrow it down. :D

Last edited:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
That's exactly what my stepdad said when he first told me HHI was "interviewing" them for the show. My younger brother was talking with one of his recent clients that purchased to see if he'd be interested in being on the show. The "purchased" home would be one of 3, as well as 2 other listings they looked at, provided the listing was still available. Talk, talk, narrow down, then buyer "picks" the house. Still, it would've been great seeing family on the tube.

Oh well, I need to go buy some bacon to deliver now................

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
And yes, once you go through the process, it isn't even close. It sucks much more balls. Although I'm looking forward to moving to a bigger place with the wife, not looking forward to going through the whole process again. Not to mention the fact that pretty much everyone is trying to rip you off hoping you don't notice a couple hundy here or a grand there when you financing a couple hundred thou.
No isht. A real show would show the wife sitting there crying because the 4th house you made an offer on was either outbid or failed inspection.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I bought my house solo before I met my wife. Half of the hard part on getting two people to agree on what they liked wasn't even an issue and it was still a royal pain in my butt.

Around here, most entry level places are being snapped up by cash offers for investments. I had two houses I was getting set for escrow on when I was told, 'Sorry, the buyer has accepted an all cash offer', which usually ended even being less that I had offered. Cash is king lately. I bought 5 years ago and my best friend is still having the same problem.

Just like most other major purchases, where there's blood, there's plenty of sharks in the water. Most of the time they look like perky little real estate agents.