Quantcast

Follow Directions? Tweak it?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Unless it's in the realm of baking, I pretty much always go by feel and rarely use precise measurements. But I think it depends on how much you have a feel for measurements and your preferred balance of flavors.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If it is a baked good, I stick to the recipe. Otherwise I may tweak it a little depending on how familiar I am with the dish.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I tend to follow the recipe the first time and then make adjustments afterwards. Baking is different though, I tweak a lot of the recipies...especially bread ones.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I look at the recipe as a general kind of map.

Baking powder and soda, maybe eggs, will not be efffed with. Yeast breads will also not be effed with, as I am not quite familiar with the process.

Everything else is open to interpretation and common sense.

This whole thing got started because OMGF and I have different ways in the kitchen.

He is very structured.
I am not.
He measures exact amounts and follows the recipe to a T.
I look at the recipe, decide it is too boring, and mess with it (if I have enough ingredients to change things up).

I've been in the kitchen before, and he'll ask what it is I am doing. I'll tell him I'm experimenting... this, apparently, does not sit well with him (recipe!!! follow a recipe!!). I come out with some chocolate banana cookies, and he's eating them and asking for seconds......

I definitely won't complain about his cooking, he makes absolutely wonderful scones (they melt), fantastic curries, and ice cream so fabulous that you want to eat the whole batch...

Does anyone else (looks like TN and Laura are included in this) have differing strategies in the kitchen than their significant other?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
MudGrrl said:
Does anyone else (looks like TN and Laura are included in this) have differing strategies in the kitchen than their significant other?
Are you kidding, my missus is Japanese so our strategies are so different that there are pots, pans and utensils that I don't even use. Ingredients that are a total mystery. Fortunately our kids have grown up enjoying both Western and Japanese food. The missus however still feels the need to have a bowl of rice with a roast.:confused: