Quantcast

Font problems, firefox 2, OSX ?!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Can someone help me with this strange font problem I encountered this morning? I have a brand new macbook pro that I'm set up yesterday and everything seemed great.

This morning, I turned fired it up & opened firefox only to find my fonts were pretty screwy! It seems that fonts on websites that haven't been explicitly specified appear completely out of whack.

For example, instead of a period, it show up as a comma. m appears as k...

All other applications appear just fine, yesterday it worked just fine. I'm on firefox 2, OSX 10.4.8, fresh install.

link to screengrab

thanks.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I had problems with my fonts in Safari today from out of nowhere. I changed my fonts in the Appearance preference, restarted Safari and it was still going on. I made sure my web font of choice was permanently enabled in Suitcase and restarted my Mac (10.4.8). Problem disappeared.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
That's pretty awesome in a totally crapulous sort of way.

I'm right now using Fox 2.0 about 80% of the time on a preIntel new MacMini - so I'm not sure what the issue is - nothing really wrong with any of the add-ons i'm using now...

Have you tried to 'disable' any add-ons and restart?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
dump, try going to tools>options>content> and hit the "advanced" button in the "fonts & colors" section. Is the "allow pages to choose their own fonts" selected? Unselecting it and forcing your font choice on all pages might be a temporary fix.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I had an issue a while back with any web browser and email apps... turned out one of my fonts was corrupted and jackin' stuff up.

well, that's one possible problem for you.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
thanks for the help everyone - I'll try the suggestions & get back to you.

How do you know if a font is corrupt?
thanks.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sometimes - don't know why - i can't click between tabs w/ ff2; must ctrl-tab. i can still kill the tab w/ mouse, but no navigate.

running ex-pee

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Does your new Japaneese digital camera work? The Mac is supposed to "just work." Mac is just the new Microsoft, if you want to keep it real you have to run an obscure distribution of Linux.