Quantcast

Fontana #2

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, just got back home to SB after racing Fontana round #2. Gotta say it was actually really fun! The course was very smooth, fast, lots of corners and well...just fun.

Big thanks to EC who apparently helping design all the winter series race courses. Only strange thing was not seeing EC on the top podium spot. That spot went to a special guest ;)

My buddies got a few pics. of myself and some other guys, hope it gives you a good idea of the course. Southridge...keep up the good work, but leave out the wall one of these races!

Anyways, here are the couple photos from practice in Fontuccckkkyyy.

Me on my race run just kind of kicking back.

Cornering in practice

Pretty much the only rocks on the course.

Special guest #1

Special guest #2

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Looks like it was a good turnout, the athertons usually reside a couple hours north during winter so Im surprised they werent there before considering all that ive seen at hte races...
Good for them, how bad did he best EC by?

DAMN that dirt looks good to hook up in!!! Best Ive ever seen it.......

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
Good for them, how bad did he best EC by?
Only by a second or two. I think the winning pro order was Gee, Waylon, Carter. I didn't see Dan's name on the timing sheet; maybe I missed it.

The course was not technical, but it was fast!:thumb: I had a blast; first time I had that much fun racing in quite a while. I really look forward to the next one.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thats cool Ive seen just about every top pro there at fontucky over the last 2 years and its getting better all the time Im a littel surprised they took it to a fast vs tech with rocks etc.. But either way thats cool and good for them....

Definenetly nice to have a place where the weathers good enough to train and have a series in the winter...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Only by a second or two. I think the winning pro order was Gee, Waylon, Carter. I didn't see Dan's name on the timing sheet; maybe I missed it.

The course was not technical, but it was fast!:thumb: I had a blast; first time I had that much fun racing in quite a while. I really look forward to the next one.
Carter had second, Hell Speccy even got Kyle riding Fontana again..............too bad he got his ass handed to him today....

I dont think Rachel raced either, seeing she was pedalling her xc bike up right in front of us while the pro women were still on course...... Damn she looked liek taht seat was just fit perfectly..... I could be wrong on the not racing part, site isnt updated from today yet to see for sure..

Oh yeah, I win for best course noisemaker...... amazing the sound of an empty twelve pack being shaken violently

Last edited:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Love to take credit for DH courses, but it's Donnie's work,

Been talking with him about the general directions and courses to lay out , for instance this weekend the dirt is slow so i advised him to run it more straight and fast to keep speed up....but the thanks goes to Donnie.

I have done the last 2 Super D courses though, and although i know the XC guys are a bit bummed the emphasis is on the D in Super D not trying to put a 9 minute super D on 250 feet of elevation.

I think more DH riders will start to do Super D's when they know that it doesn't start at the bottom and climb to the top.

Look for more flowing and traversing stuff with short power climbs with the majority of pedaling being the flay stuff like the wall.

My thought is you can do it on a hard tail or a 7 inch bike, but 4 to 6 inch's is the optimum.

How bout how awesome the weekend was, great to see the Atherton's out, i think they may come out for another one as well.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
EC, i like your thought on the super D courses. i remember last year the first race was like a 4 min and that got my attention. so the next round i signed up for super d and Dh. needless to say the super d was a 9 min race with an even longer climb than the XC racers. i was pretty bummed and did poorly. i dont want to waste my legs on a super d sprint up a hill when i have DH the next day which still requires lots of pedaling.

ill be out there for round 3, pretty stoked to be back on the west side!

dennis

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
EC, i like your thought on the super D courses. i remember last year the first race was like a 4 min and that got my attention. so the next round i signed up for super d and Dh. needless to say the super d was a 9 min race with an even longer climb than the XC racers. i was pretty bummed and did poorly. i dont want to waste my legs on a super d sprint up a hill when i have DH the next day which still requires lots of pedaling.

ill be out there for round 3, pretty stoked to be back on the west side!

dennis
That nine minute course was friggin rediculous....... I think what three people made the climb, everyone else was hiking from about teh halfway point........ I like the idea of small pushes uphill, more D in super D.....

Were you out and about today?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
That nine minute course was friggin rediculous....... I think what three people made the climb, everyone else was hiking from about teh halfway point........ I like the idea of small pushes uphill, more D in super D.....

yea i remember getting passed by like 2 people, they had all kinds of tech stuff on their bikes, telescopic seat posts, more than 1 chain ring up front and hardtail XC race bikes. while im on a 5" travel trance x made for super Ds pretty much! and racing in the expert class super d is pretty rough i must say those XC guys can pedal!!

no i wasnt out there today, im still in jersey. heading out to cali next weekend. a nice long lonely drive by myself and my bikes!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Hey that wasnt you hangin you @$$ out again today was it.
Saw a pic on the line before the fireroad and some dude was flashing his white @$$ again!
I thought that was funny when I was like 10 now its kind of disturbing to be hurtling down the course towards some dudes hairy @$$ and sack, maybe its just me but the thought of it is kind of Fn disturbing!!!

Besides if they crash into you its going to be embarrasing when the paramedics come up the hill only to discover your pants around your ankles in the middle of a crowd!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Been talking with him about the general directions and courses to lay out , for instance this weekend the dirt is slow so i advised him to run it more straight and fast to keep speed up....but the thanks goes to Donnie.
Oh ya, big thanks always goes to Donnie! I really appreciate a rider like you though helping out and giving direction. There's nothing worse then showing up to a race with "slow" dirt and having even more pedaling.

But ya, keep up the good advice! I'm more stoked on racing fontana this year then I ever have been! Plus, it's awesome having a pre-season warm up so close to home.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Rachel did not end up racing, still getting back into it I think, but like EC said, I think they will all do it next round...Anneke Beerten, Matti L and Rory are coming too.

Pic of EC in practice, note the sick dirt...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Its too bad the Dirt didnt hold up for the whole race...... about the D class it was getting loose in the switchbacks......I was amazed to see more than a coupel pros faceplant in the Sbacks.....all in teh same spot, first left hander of teh switchbacks.....Aiello and Spaulding I belive

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
wow stik...the lighting is awesome on that, looks like its dusk, is that the $59 flash that almost got stepped on?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
I think gwinny may be out for a couple winter series before its over,
good to have all those guys out,
pushes the pace for sure and with no real big races in cali anymore it gives so cal riders a chance to see World Cup level guys.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Oh ya, big thanks always goes to Donnie! I really appreciate a rider like you though helping out and giving direction. There's nothing worse then showing up to a race with "slow" dirt and having even more pedaling.

But ya, keep up the good advice! I'm more stoked on racing fontana this year then I ever have been! Plus, it's awesome having a pre-season warm up so close to home.
Donnie told me last Thursday that SRC has just got on Twitter.....not sure the name, He said he is going to try posting pics of the different courses while he is marking them before the weekend of racing so everyone can check it out.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Praying for a rocky course in 2 weeks! Would be awesome to go from this FAST and flowy course to a techy one for the next race. That's the great thing about that hill is the huge variety in terrain.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
no i wasnt out there today, im still in jersey. heading out to cali next weekend. a nice long lonely drive by myself and my bikes!
Oh god, I can't imagine doing that. Having done Diablo to chicago once, and chicago to Santa Barbara twice, I can't imagine doing either leg of those alone, much less both, at once, you are a champion driver. Good luck.

sailorman

Chimp
Apr 4, 2009
Huntington Beach,Ca
Didn't race, but rode the course on Sat., dirt was awsome, nice and tacky. It was pretty cool seeing the Atherton's and Danny Macaskill out there. I heard that Danny ate it and broke his collar bone. Can anyone confirm this?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Even Vital's head honcho Gordo von Spomer managed to tear himself away from the barreling point breaks of Ventura county long enough to shoot some awesome dirt.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/Race-Report-Southridge-Winter-Series-Fontana-2,1078/Slideshow,4208/sspomer,2

23 more pics with audio (and Gee's cosmo shoot) inside.
NICE PICS!
Almost like you do that for a living, damn good shots!!

Thanks, the one of the tire in the dirt is awesome it shows how well it was hooking up :thumb:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
dude that sh!ts wack bro.

yea the drive will be my first time alone but it will be worth it!

EC bring on the rocks!! ill bring my monster truck tires!
i will tell Donnie, just remember that means you'll have to drag those monster truck tires down the wall! ha ha

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
deng, I even went for an extra practice run in hopes of getting snapped by stik. sick shots, stik.

dicking around on the last practice run
False Start on Vimeo

nice dirt and crisp sunny dedicated to Pegboy in New Hampsha

Last edited: