Quantcast

Fontana Dam DH Aug. 1st

willyj

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
HIGH COUNTRY
I think i am doing it since its $5 and since im new to races i figure it will be a good experience, but ive been told my DH bike might be slower than my hardtail?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am posting this just for future reference in case someone is searching about this race for next year:

The course they use for the Fontana Dam Jam is not a DH course.
It is a Super D course. The promoter said straight up that he made it
"XC friendly" because that is who races in his normal series.
There were only 4 riders on Saturday who did the course in under 3:40,
and the course had about 1:40 of DH in it. Do the math on that one.
The Icycle course was all DH and it was 1:30 to 1:40 I believe.
This isn't some complaint rant by me as I have been going to Fontana long enough that I know what to expect either way, but I am posting because
there were a bunch of first time racers at this race, and I heard alot of,
"Is this what Dh racing is like normally?"
And the answer to that is hell No.
That course had more pedalling than the Dark Mountain Super D by far.
I get what the promoter is trying to do, so maybe next year they will call it a super d race so new racers will know what to expect.

And on a positive note, at all of the Southeast races this year, I am seeing lots of riders showing up that are 1st time Dh racers and that is great.

parsons

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I have to agree. I feel sorry for those 'first-timmers' to the sport that traveled all the way from Florida with dh bikes to find out that half of the course went up hill.

I miss Pluto!

Last edited:

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
DH course or not it was good to get back to the mountian's again. I've been there many times and new what to expect. If you are looking for some real DH races check out Beech Mtn, Hawksnest,NC or Paris,SC. It was good to see a few old friend from the past still racing DH.:headbang: If you are from Florida and trying to find someone to cut the cost of travel down, I would like to get some people together to travel with and race some of the real DH races.

Last edited: