Quantcast

Fontana Dam Jam Dh - All New

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OK...just got off the phone with Fontana and have confirmed they are having a new run for the DH and it will be for the big bikes, not the trails of old. They said suspension will be a big plus and it should be a blast. Hope everyone who was going to skip it because they hate climbing in a DH race will now show up. The new course is not going to be a pedalfest. Yayyy! :love:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't know if I'll be able to make it. Thats a couple of days before we leave to go to CO and I might have a sponsor committment to do some testing. ;) But it sounds like a blast I hope to make it. Whats the schedule?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
Does anyone have any runs on this new trail?
the GM's son...he said it's cool. If I wasn't headed to Sugar to ride the new section there this weekend I'd go check it out and report back. I trust the kids opinion though. Why don't you come ride Sugar with me and Jeremy bro...be a nice change of pace for you.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
When are you all riding at Sugar?

Does the GM's son have anything else to say about the new trail other than the coolness factor? You know like length, tech, location, and shuttle road?

holla

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
Does the GM's son have anything else to say about the new trail other than the coolness factor? You know like length, tech, location, and shuttle road?

holla
it's got a good gravel shuttle road, it's in the 3 minute range, it's got some tight switchbacks mixed with wide open moto style rutted stuff. He said one section is really high speed and another is a tech singletrack...I can't really offer much more...it's hard to give somebody a 3rd hand account from a phone call. kinda like when the teacher has 5 people walk out the door and the first comes back in...gets told a story, then has to tell it to the 2nd...

santacruzed

Monkey
Nov 6, 2004
hickory, nc
ztlh13 said:
Hmmm... I see XC practice from 8-12, but what about DH?
i think that was a type-o.....seeing how they have practice till dusk after our race

is there "race day" reg.??? or does everyone have to pre-reg....and still no junior class??? :help:

radbradus

Chimp
Jul 10, 2004
nice job of posting flyers and race info for fontana butch - thanks . i been outta the loop for a year or so . does madhra still exist?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
it exists in the form of a list of about 400+ people I send regional email updates about what's going. I just got the email back up and running the other day to where I can send out the info.
I encourage everyone who has an event or gathering they want to inform the region about to drop me a "Blurb" about the event and I'll keep everyone informed.

I still am amazed that I got 110 riders to show up for a DH at Wolf without mailing a single flyer to a single shop. :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Which reminds me, this Fontana race is being promoted by the Gone Riding guy. He pretty much knows squat about DH, but he is a very successful promoter for XC racing. Hopefully, the Fontana race will be a positive experience for him, and we can get him interested in DH race promotion.
So, everybody come out, we will need a good turnout.
Everybody knows the main thing we need for DH around here is a full time promoter instead of our local racers having to do it.
The numbers are out there, they just have to be reached.
Dark Mountain pulled in 72 riders at a first time event, telling everybody up front it was a short pedaling course.
I think the key to race attendence around here it to keep the courses fun which always brings out the riders (alot of which do not own full blown DH race rigs.)
Anyway, I hope to see some of you guys at Sugar this weekend.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
im bringin 4 other guys with me so you can count on my crew to be there. and in the other thread i thought that practice for dh was pretty much do your own shuttle when the trail was open. thats what was discussed in the other thread. ohh and we will have two trucks and a car with 2 racks on top of it.so were always willing to give shuttle runs if we got the room. :blah:

ohh and bizutch thanks for all the hard work getting the word out to all us monkeys. :thumb:

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
I received an email from David at Gone Riding. He stated that he will be there on Friday to show were the dh trail is. Just look for the Gone Riding trailer. Ellen & I plan to be there around 10am on Friday. There's no shuttle on Friday...anyone else coming up Friday? We could take turns shuttling. :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Guard said:
I received an email from David at Gone Riding. He stated that he will be there on Friday to show were the dh trail is. Just look for the Gone Riding trailer. Ellen & I plan to be there around 10am on Friday. There's no shuttle on Friday...anyone else coming up Friday? We could take turns shuttling. :thumb:
I'm going to figure out a way to be up there on Friday. Can't say if I'll be able to stay the night though.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
bizutch said:
I'm going to figure out a way to be up there on Friday. Can't say if I'll be able to stay the night though.
We'll be coming through Asheville so we could get you up there on Friday, you just need to find a way back if you need to return Friday night.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
frznnomad said:
ohh and we will have two trucks and a car with 2 racks on top of it.so were always willing to give shuttle runs if we got the room.
Eric, if we're only taking 4 people, why would we take 3 cars. And considering that i'm the only one that can't drive yet, so we'd be pretty much taking every car that we could. wait, i dunno... we'll see what Carl's opinion is.

anyway...I'll be at the race! I'm going to be on a black bullit, with a new 888

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
My brother was thinking of racing untill he heard about the new course. He rides a hardtail, and is an alright rider, but is just having second thoughts about racing... does anyone have any pictures of the new course, just to give him an idea?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
AirAddict said:
My brother was thinking of racing untill he heard about the new course. He rides a hardtail, and is an alright rider, but is just having second thoughts about racing... does anyone have any pictures of the new course, just to give him an idea?
yeah...tell him to quit riding bikes if he's afraid to ride Forest Service trails on his mountain bike...it's not Snowshoe! :rolleyes:
hardtails can ride it...I'm just trying to point out that you don't have to come iwth a dual chain ring or any crap like that because they're not running that stupid uphill course. :rolleyes:

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
frznnomad said:
dude i have to drive cause im leaving from fontana to go to gatlinburg. so i have to drive seperate
:thumb:
ohhhhh yeah. haha, sorry. Forgot about that... sweetness. i don't know if the rest of us will only take one truck or not then. i don't want to cram in with carl and lenny, so we just might end up spending alot on gas...

btw, my bro might race since you say that hardtails can ride it. from what some people were saying, it just sounded like you needed a DH bike to race this course... no worries though. just a bit of confusion