Quantcast

Fontana February World Champs

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ya thats JDD.

Bit off topic, but I was baffled saturday when I saw a guy with a prototype dorado out there, he was pretty squirrelly and made me wonder wtf was he doing testing it when Chris Kovarik was out there riding on old forks.
Its no wonder the bike industry product progression timeframe is about 5 times other industries.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Bit off topic, but I was baffled saturday when I saw a guy with a prototype dorado out there, he was pretty squirrelly and made me wonder wtf was he doing testing it when Chris Kovarik was out there riding on old forks.
Its no wonder the bike industry product progression timeframe is about 5 times other industries.
Word!!!!!

Stik, it's so good to have you back on the forum.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Anyone have pics of this 'Gwin' guy? he was only 2 secs off Kovarik, Houseman has high hopes for this guy, I think House said he is only 16 or something? and only ridden DH bikes for a year or so? would like to see him in action if anyone got pics of him.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Ya thats JDD.

how else are you gonna satisfy the other 90% of riders out there that aren't pro.

"Our products are tested under real world conditions!!!"

It's kinda like the JD Power awards for 4x4 of the year. You don't see Ivan Stewart certifying each little Jeep Liberty as "Trail Tested"...but some soccer mom must have....:disgust1:

And you'll never see Car & Driver say
"This vehicle test was conducted under real world driving conditions by my 17 year rehabbing nephew who has some serious anger management issues, is always running late and knows some pretty stupid shortcuts to the office via the aquaduct!"

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
how else are you gonna satisfy the other 90% of riders out there that aren't pro.

"Our products are tested under real world conditions!!!"

It's kinda like the JD Power awards for 4x4 of the year. You don't see Tony Stewart certifying each little Jeep Liberty as "Trail Tested"...but some soccer mom must have....:disgust1:

And you'll never see Car & Driver say
"This vehicle test was conducted under real world driving conditions by my 17 year rehabbing nephew who has some serious anger management issues, is always running late and knows some pretty stupid shortcuts to the office via the aquaduct!"
We are talking about a high performance racing fork for a bicycle, not minivans. Your analogies suck balls. If the dorado was a $300 entry level fork for riding the bike path-then let 'johnny noskillz' test it. I will refrain from further reply because I am pretty sure you were kidding.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
We are talking about a high performance racing fork for a bicycle, not minivans. Your analogies suck balls. If the dorado was a $300 entry level fork for riding the bike path-then let 'johnny noskillz' test it. I will refrain from further reply because I am pretty sure you were kidding.
yup...I was way sarcastic ball suck quote feller! My point was just because it's a race fork or with the Jeep, doesn't mean it won't stop douchebags from acting like their products are actually tested by legitimate testers. I know plenty of suspension tuners I wouldn't trust as "testers".:rofl:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
yup...I was way sarcastic ball suck quote feller! My point was just because it's a race fork or with the Jeep, doesn't mean it won't stop douchebags from acting like their products are actually tested by legitimate testers. I know plenty of suspension tuners I wouldn't trust as "testers".:rofl:
I figured as much, good times. Kind of like the extensive parking lot testing at one of the big companies I used to work for.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
haha, look at the 6th photo down....that guy's kneepad blew off and looks like a legwarmer......and what's up with the second photo down?....polka dots......?.....lame
I went out there with Nigel Page and he asked "Does someone actually make a polka dot DH jersey? you americans are fooked".

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
....made me wonder wtf was he doing testing it when Chris Kovarik was out there riding on old forks.
well, first off maybe CK is no longer on manitou's roster.....his new frame has a cane creek rear shock...?

the guy riding the fork is a pretty decent pro who's been in the industry for years, and may be able to articulate more, and give better feedback than kovarik in terms of straight up R&D.....you're right though...having CK on the fork would be better publicity i guess.....but like i said....is he even riding for answer this year....does anybody know?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
well, first off maybe CK is no longer on manitou's roster.....his new frame has a cane creek rear shock...?

the guy riding the fork is a pretty decent pro who's been in the industry for years, and may be able to articulate more, and give better feedback than kovarik in terms of straight up R&D.....you're right though...having CK on the fork would be better publicity i guess.....but like i said....is he even riding for answer this year....does anybody know?
CK is still on manitou and is riding a CC/ohlins shock.

If he is a decent pro, then we have different levels of the word 'decent'. I was not baffled in regards to publicity, just wondered why manitous best rider on their roster does not have the fork. I have worked with Chris before with product (tires) and his feedback always made for improvements.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
is that Dylan?

if it is...raise that visor.:busted:
yup, that'd be me. the helmet is an old beater lid that i sprayed up... normally i do have the visor up high... but the center bolt got stripped, so it's a tad loose. every so often, it slips down a little. will fix it next time for ya! ;)

Anyone have pics of this 'Gwin' guy? he was only 2 secs off Kovarik, Houseman has high hopes for this guy, I think House said he is only 16 or something? and only ridden DH bikes for a year or so? would like to see him in action if anyone got pics of him.
Gwin is actually i believe 22.. the 16 year old kid (not sure if he's 16 or 17) is of Kevin Aiello. they both got signed onto the Yeti so cal regional team. House has big hopes for both guys.. Gwin has only raced 3 times & placed no lower than 3rd (at fontana) against all the fast guys that have showed up here (2nd place at yesterday's race where he was 2 sec off CK). Going shooting w/ him today.. will post some pics on Pinned later

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
I went out there with Nigel Page and he asked "Does someone actually make a polka dot DH jersey? you americans are fooked".
u talkin about this?

for those of you who don't know... i think Jeff Ward broke it out at the Supermoto at the Summer Xgames last year. forgot the reasoning behind it, but it was something due to the King of the Hill jersey from the Tour de France

but yes, im not diggin it

richhouseman

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Temecula
Kevin Aiello is 17 yrs old, Aaron Gwin is 20 yrs old.

Both are currently on the SoCal Regional YETI team.

We have a solid program laid out for these boyz, and it looks like it's working so far.

Last weekend was the first race on their 303's and I think they like them!

Hopefully we can show some SoCal talent this year!

Big HOuse

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
As for the Polka Dot jerset, It's OK. I tried to pull a funny at our FONTANA Icycle Night DH last weekend. (North Carolina, not Cali). I thought it would be hilarious to run a lap in the Sam Hill World Champion jersey my shop gave me.

I rode down this long lawn toward the start and I now know how a 19 year old girl wearing white shorts and a bloody crotch would feel on Karaoke night.

My one buddy was the only one who got the joke. Everyone else was like..."Whoa wait...is that Sam? No..wait...DOUCHEBAG!!"
Was gonna pull it off after 1 run, but everyone's awkwardness in the back of the shuttle truck was priceless so I left it on til dark. :thumb: