Quantcast

Food Fraud Major Problem

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That feces article is insane. There is a YouTube vid about it.
Updated version of this prank
http://books.google.com/books?id=OTnXAAAAMAAJ&q="mitsuyuki+ikeda

The guy did stop eating meat, he was eating **** instead:D

The frequency of food safety problems from produce or other non-meat items (nuts etc) isn't much better than meat. Those organic sprouts from Germany aren't that great:think:

Industrial farming of produce or meat isn't that great obviously. Beef cattle actually do eat ****:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/31/business/fi-feed31

Last edited:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
almost there. considering going raw.
Don't do it, I know 2 people who did the raw vegan thing. One of them got super sick and stopped. The other was a fat chick who stopped when she lost all the weight. Being raw vegan is retarded unhealthy, and doing the raw meat thing is a whole other story (that I know nothing about)

http://books.google.com/books?id=OTnXAAAAMAAJ&q="mitsuyuki+ikeda

The guy did stop eating meat, he was eating **** instead:D

The frequency of food safety problems from produce or other non-meat items (nuts etc) isn't much better than meat. Those organic sprouts from Germany aren't that great:think:

Industrial farming of produce or meat isn't that great obviously. Beef cattle actually do eat ****:

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/31/business/fi-feed31
Happen to see the rest of that documentary? It's pretty much fantastic in every way.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Don't do it, I know 2 people who did the raw vegan thing. One of them got super sick and stopped. The other was a fat chick who stopped when she lost all the weight. Being raw vegan is retarded unhealthy, and doing the raw meat thing is a whole other story (that I know nothing about)
if i go raw, it won't be vegan. i've already been adding raw elements to my diet. i think it probably isn't necessary to go all in on that one.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
buy local, buy fresh.
This. Took Wifey for a bike ride down to the Farmer's Market yesterday. We got veggies and fruit to last us until Wednesday, which is when the next local Farmer's Market is held.

We also found a local poultry farm that sells whole organically raised chicken. It's *shocking* that the breasts are half the size of grocery store breasts. Kinda makes you think about what's in those grocery store chicken.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
This. Took Wifey for a bike ride down to the Farmer's Market yesterday. We got veggies and fruit to last us until Wednesday, which is when the next local Farmer's Market is held.
YMMV, but when we've bought veggies at the farmers market here, they last a LOOOONG time before going bad. Like 3+ weeks. Something about being picked that morning as opposed to being picked half-ripe and sitting in a cargo container for 4 weeks while it slowly makes it's way here from Argentina.

Of course, we've cut back on our farmers market purchases during the summer now that our garden is up and running. So far we've only been able to harvest lettuce/salad greens, but it's been such a cold spring nothing much is growing yet. Growing it yourself and harvesting it ~10min before you eat it tastes even better than buying local. :thumb:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
YMMV, but when we've bought veggies at the farmers market here, they last a LOOOONG time before going bad. Like 3+ weeks. Something about being picked that morning as opposed to being picked half-ripe and sitting in a cargo container for 4 weeks while it slowly makes it's way here from Argentina.

Of course, we've cut back on our farmers market purchases during the summer now that our garden is up and running. So far we've only been able to harvest lettuce/salad greens, but it's been such a cold spring nothing much is growing yet. Growing it yourself and harvesting it ~10min before you eat it tastes even better than buying local. :thumb:
I would grow a garden but we only have a tiny balcony. That and I don't want to put in a proper garden, if we will be moving soon. Plus, isn't it a bit too late to get a garden started for the year?

I was thinking about doing a Shelving Unit type setup with tiers of garden across all three levels.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would grow a garden but we only have a tiny balcony. That and I don't want to put in a proper garden, if we will be moving soon. Plus, isn't it a bit too late to get a garden started for the year?

I was thinking about doing a Shelving Unit type setup with tiers of garden across all three levels.
i grow hot peppers and a few herbs on my patio.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

We also found a local poultry farm that sells whole organically raised chicken. It's *shocking* that the breasts are half the size of grocery store breasts. Kinda makes you think about what's in those grocery store chicken.
Speaking of local farms, there is a farm smack in the middle of my town that's less than a mile from my house. Doesn't get much more local than that

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack

I was thinking about doing a Shelving Unit[/URL] type setup with tiers of garden across all three levels.
That shelving unit would probably work pretty well with smaller plants (ie, salad greens in a long window box, for instance, or your small green leafy things like swiss chard), especially if you have a balcony that's in the sun most of the time.

i grow hot peppers and a few herbs on my patio.
I've actually had far better luck growing hot peppers on a patio at an apt than I ever have at my house. The apt we had had full sun almost throughout the day, and since it was a concrete wasteland it also warmed up quite a bit as well. Trying to plant them in our garden at our house hasn't worked anywhere near as well, since the ground is colder and it doesn't get as much sun (it's in the shade pretty much from 2pm on). The only real way to do it is to buy 6-8" tall seedlings, or start them in a cold-frame. Still, we ended up with so many peppers two years ago that we froze huge bags of them and we're *still* eating them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've actually had far better luck growing hot peppers on a patio at an apt than I ever have at my house. The apt we had had full sun almost throughout the day, and since it was a concrete wasteland it also warmed up quite a bit as well. Trying to plant them in our garden at our house hasn't worked anywhere near as well, since the ground is colder and it doesn't get as much sun (it's in the shade pretty much from 2pm on). The only real way to do it is to buy 6-8" tall seedlings, or start them in a cold-frame. Still, we ended up with so many peppers two years ago that we froze huge bags of them and we're *still* eating them.
i had a really good crop last summer because it was so hot. this year, so far so good. and an expanded variety of peppers