Quantcast

Food Is Dangerous!

Well, i was at work today, at the catering co. i work at, chopping veggies and i accidently untucked my fingers and i payed the price. My sharp knife got me on the tip of the middle finger :thumb: and almost took it off. It was about 1/4" fromt the tip and almost straigth across accept for 1/16" of skin holding it on, so i finished choopping then left to go get stitches. Took about 6 or 7 so nothing major, and getting my finger numbed up was worth the hole thing. They decided to give me a tetnis shot as well, whatever they want to do i dont really cur none boy.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
ah the glory that is prep work. i love it but the tipes of every single one of my fingers has a scar over it from being cut off. luckily, i've never had stitches. came close onee time when i had a run in with a french mandolin while slicing potatoes. yeow.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Never again will I work as a prep cook. Laura is right...potatos (especailly sweet potatos) will make you want to do a different job, like roofing or ditch digging.

I was once training someone and I cut myself on a sweet potato. I told the girl to finish up for me while I took care of it. I came back and she had cut herself also. But what she didn't tell me was that she was a hemophiliac. After looking at her finger she promptly collapsed and started siezing. I ran into the restaurant looking for the manager yelling "She's dying, She's dying!" About ten customers ran to the kitchen to gawk.

ill get pictures of the stitches and stuff, I was bleeding, but i wrapped it in towels until i finished, then left, it was fun. Ive cut myself on a mandolin, usually there sharp enough not to hurt too bad. Ive nicked my finger onm the garbage disposale, that hurt a bit because its really not all that sharp... :nope:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
slalomrider1 said:
ill get pictures of the stitches and stuff, I was bleeding, but i wrapped it in towels until i finished, then left, it was fun.
you should be careful what you post...some people on this board are OSHA or state health inspectors....you're putting yourself at risk as well as your employer....D

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I knew a lady whose father was a caterer sp? and as a kid/teenager she worked with him. They both were missing the same finger from chopping incidents.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
BMXman said:
you should be careful what you post...some people on this board are OSHA or state health inspectors....you're putting yourself at risk as well as your employer....D
Yea, that sh!t is gross. I'd sue if some prick did that and served me the food.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Sherpa said:
Yea, that sh!t is gross. I'd sue if some prick did that and served me the food.

Exactly!...some people just don't have or haven't been properly trained when it comes to food safety. It's my job to make sure all my staff know what to do if they get cut. If one of my staff did the same thing I would have to fire them...D

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
BMXman said:
Exactly!...some people just don't have or haven't been properly trained when it comes to food safety. It's my job to make sure all my staff know what to do if they get cut. If one of my staff did the same thing I would have to fire them...D
Good. It'd be one hell of a lawsuit if the consumer contracted something, and the owner/manager would probably face the blunt of the impact.