Quantcast

Foot forward

Matago

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
When i ride i have my left foot forward, i went throught like 15 videos too see what other people have forward. EVERYONE that i saw had their right foot forward -.-

Im right handed at everything so should i ride with my right forward?

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I think it's probably similar to being goofy footed on a skateboard - there will always be a minority. I couldn't tell you which foot I favor but I'm betting it's right.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
I'm in the other boat, i ride right forward and most of the people i ride with ride left forward. It's just a comfort thang.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I am right handed but ride left foot forward. I ride a skateboard left handed and box left handed too.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
The main way footing comes through for me is in the way I approach objects. When going off drops, I prefer to launch to the right side. When doing whips off jumps I kick the rear wheel to the left and push to the handlebars to the right.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
you'll notice it when someone spins 360's the opposite direction.

there was also an old robbie morales props interview where he talked about switching his stance right before doing a turndown, because he could only turndown that direction.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm right handed, ride left foot forward, and 360 to the right. However, I've been riding right foot forward lately to round things out.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Go by what feel most natural. I'm left handed, but ride right foot forward. Granted, about the only thing I do left handed is write, but I'm still left eye dominant.

Lately, just as practice, I've been cruising around left foot forward; for DH it helps you for turning and some other things.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Right handed, and I ride left foot forward. Spin most comfortably clockwise, and kickout and table to the left. I skate and snowboard goofy (right foot forward). It makes a lot less difference on a bike than it does a board, IMO.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
I am right handed, ride right foot forward, and ride left foot forward on a skateboard.

Lol it was funny, I tried to ride left foot forward and could hardly bunnie hop.

Do people switch foot possitions if they are going to 360 the other way they are used to?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've tried to analyze my riding style (which is totally weird) and like beerz says, it's whatever's comfortable. I'm left foot forward, spin to the left, nose pivot to the right. I'm trying to do opposite 180s these days just to mix it up. I can land about 8 out of 10 on those...

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm mixed up too: right handed, right footed (in soccer)
goofy on a skateboard/snowboard and goofy on a bike (right foot forward).
So, wallrides are easier (mentally) for me going right to left, but i can do them left to right pretty well ... it just feels weird.

and in DH, being able to ride either foot forward based on rocks and turns is totally an asset.

-r

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Like the others have said, it doesn't matter. Just do what feels right.

For the record, here are what some of the "foot terms" mean on bike:

Goofy Footed = spinning or naturally airing on a quarter in the same direction as your forward foot (which usually means kicking out/whipping/tableing to the direction where your back foot doesn't push). So, right foot forward, spin/air clockwise = goofy footed. Left foot forward, spin/air counter clockwise = goofy footed.

Some people also use a term called sh!t or d!ck footed. I'm pretty sure that means doing every thing regular or goofy, but you run your pegs and naturally grind on the opposite side from "normal." So, a regular footer who is right foot forward and runs his pegs on the left would be sh!t/d!ck footed.

None of this really matters, but you might run into some bmxers talking about it and now you'll know what they're saying. :)

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
isn't "chocolate foot" another term which refers to whichever is your forward foot? I remember hearing that a while ago...

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Like the others have said, it doesn't matter. Just do what feels right.

For the record, here are what some of the "foot terms" mean on bike:

Goofy Footed = spinning or naturally airing on a quarter in the same direction as your forward foot (which usually means kicking out/whipping/tableing to the direction where your back foot doesn't push). So, right foot forward, spin/air clockwise = goofy footed. Left foot forward, spin/air counter clockwise = goofy footed.

Some people also use a term called sh!t or d!ck footed. I'm pretty sure that means doing every thing regular or goofy, but you run your pegs and naturally grind on the opposite side from "normal." So, a regular footer who is right foot forward and runs his pegs on the left would be sh!t/d!ck footed.

None of this really matters, but you might run into some bmxers talking about it and now you'll know what they're saying. :)

Dude I'm Goofy and S/D footed, by your definitions.

Left foot forward, I spin most comfortably to the left, but grind on the right. I'm right handed.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Dude I'm Goofy and S/D footed, by your definitions.

Left foot forward, I spin most comfortably to the left, but grind on the right. I'm right handed.
That's just goofy footed, if by spin to the left you mean counter clockwise.

I'm goofy footed. It doesn't matter for most tricks, but I have noticed little things like it seems that regular footers can learn inverts easier, but goofy footers can learn one foot tables easier. Also, goofy footers would do 360 lookbacks, while regular footers would do 360 turndowns (unless you're doing something crazy like foot switching or opposite rotations).

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
That's just goofy footed, if by spin to the left you mean counter clockwise.

I'm goofy footed. It doesn't matter for most tricks, but I have noticed little things like it seems that regular footers can learn inverts easier, but goofy footers can learn one foot tables easier. Also, goofy footers would do 360 lookbacks, while regular footers would do 360 turndowns (unless you're doing something crazy like foot switching or opposite rotations).
Yes, I'm definitely goofy footed but I also run my pegs on the right side, opposite of my left foot forward -meaning I'm also d!ck footed?

I have noticed that some tricks are definitely different for me than they are for others, its why trying to watch someone and learn from their style is hard.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yes, I'm definitely goofy footed but I also run my pegs on the right side, opposite of my left foot forward -meaning I'm also d!ck footed?

I have noticed that some tricks are definitely different for me than they are for others, its why trying to watch someone and learn from their style is hard.
The way that I've heard it explained, that would just be goofy footed, not d!ck footed. If you were left foot forward, goofy footed, and ran your pegs on the left, that would be d!ck footed.

Think of it this way, if you go up and carve a quarter in your natural direction (which for you should be the left), you would stall on or grind the coping on your right side, which is normal. But, if you only had pegs on the left and preferred grinding on the left, that would be sh!t or d!ck footed. It's confusing because for a regular footer, having your pegs on the opposite side of your front foot is sh!t/d!ck footed, but not for a goofy footer.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
The way that I've heard it explained, that would just be goofy footed, not d!ck footed. If you were left foot forward, goofy footed, and ran your pegs on the left, that would be d!ck footed.

Think of it this way, if you go up and carve a quarter in your natural direction (which for you should be the left), you would stall on or grind the coping on your right side, which is normal. But, if you only had pegs on the left and preferred grinding on the left, that would be sh!t or d!ck footed. It's confusing because for a regular footer, having your pegs on the opposite side of your front foot is sh!t/d!ck footed, but not for a goofy footer.
if you got a D.F. setup, the only saving grace would be sweet downside 50-50s and icepicks.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I kept trying to do the easy jump line at Ray's with left foot leading but always ended up with right up front.

I wish I were footbedextrous. :)