Quantcast

Foot pain

Nubster

Chimp
May 15, 2009
I am new to riding. Right now I am just riding around town trying to get into shape. Not much around me as far as trails so I figured best to be in shape before having to travel a couple hours to ride real trails so I don't have a rotten time. Anyways, when I ride now my feet hurt really bad in the toes and arch area. I am wearing basically running shoes and the pedals are just the stock regular pedals. Is the pain something that will go away after my feet get used to riding or do I need an equipment (pedals and/or shoes) upgrade?

Nubster

Chimp
May 15, 2009
Thanks. Also I think a pedal upgrade may be in order. A larger platform pedal I think might help some too as my foot seems to barely fit the stock pedal. I was looking at the Primo Super Tenderizer unless there are better suggestions.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Your feet will get a little bit more used to it. It takes a bit of time to get more muscles in them since they seem to curl around the pedals a bit. That picture of those 510 shoes pretty much sums things up if you're going to ride flat pedals. They have the best grip for riding. They're also made a bit stiffer than normal shoes, so your feet don't wrap around your pedals and get tired. If you're riding DH, you'll want those shoes. Pretty much any of them will do the job. They'll make any pedal out there feel 100 times better.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
if you're just out for a trail ride, you don't need to spend a ton of cash on the 510's. Pick up some cheap vans or other skateboard shoes with a flat stiff sole. The reason these are better than running shoes, is they tend to flex less around the edges of the pedal, and give your foot more support. This has nothing to do with your muscles getting used to anything.

Eventually clipless pedals and shoes will be a good option too. If you've ever picked up a pair, you can tell how much stiffer they are, which makes it feel like your pedal is as big as the shoe itself.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I'm having a really good time with my stock Nike 6.0 Air Mogans (this is my the second riding-dedicated pair). Also have bought a pair of the Air Insurgents, but haven't tried them on the dirt yet (my bike is under intensive care now, waiting for new fork and wheelset).They have a very good grip on the pedals, feel stiff enough when pedaling, and really give some extra comfort with the air chambers on the heel area.

A pedal with a wider platform surely will help, but be careful of the pins if you're not used to them, because they can literally strip your legs off.

If you are more into trail riding, a pair of clipless pedals (the ones with a platform are nicer on the shoes if you like to mix a lot of jumping into it) and some SPD compatible shoes are your best choice, as dirtygirlmagnet says. Not only because of the increased stiffnes, but also because they REALLY increase the control of your bike, and give you extra power when pedaling (you do pedal the way down as usual, but also "pull up" the pedal on the other half of the circle, using a complementary set of muscles and therefore getting you less tired). It takes a little time to get used to them, but once you've tried a pair, it's a keeper.