Quantcast

FOOTBALL WORLD CUP 2022... Any of you guys watching?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I am half French (my mom is French). My wife is Chilean. This was the first World Cup final she was going to watch without her dad, who passed away 2 years ago, so it was really emotional for her. She wouldn't let me on the main floor of the house while she watched with our boys. One was cheering for France, the other for Argentina. I'm still a little surprised, given Chile and Argentina's history, that she would feel so strongly for them, but Latin American solidarity really is a thing...

In the end, I'm happy Argentina won, mostly because it would have been a real historical anomaly that the greatest player of all time never won a World Cup...
Wow,that must have been Tuff Brother? I could only try to understand it? I Hope thing’s will change for you next World Cup,we have 4 years Brother.

Avy

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wow,that must have been Tuff Brother? I could only try to understand it? I Hope thing’s will change for you next World Cup,we have 4 years Brother.

Avy
Ha! It was fine. I was working on bikes and skis in the basement. I could hear what was happening, and would sneak up to watch over her shoulder. I was able to watch the last 10 minutes of regular time, and then OT. I couldn't handle watching the penalties. I've always hated when a final is decided on penalties (and that 2x les Bleus have been burned on penalties since I started watching)...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
In the end, I'm happy Argentina won, mostly because it would have been a real historical anomaly that the greatest player of all time never won a World Cup...
My football mad daughter is half French. We were both "supporting" France throughout the tournament. But both happy Argentina won. For exactly the same reason as you.
Argentina were the better team in the final and throughout (most) of the tournament.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How people find fulfillment in their _insert_your_favorite_entertainment_activity_here_ troupe's success is a mystery to me.
Do you have a favourite WC DH racer?

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
This is an excellent Twitter thread by Geir Jordet, a football psychologist, showing how El Dibu owned the goal zone from the beginning. He has a history of messing with the kicker's heads.

The time he made Bruno Fernandes miss by pointing to Ronaldo and shouting he should have had the shot was maybe his masterpiece.

Well worth the read.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Sorry, Argentina. No one deserves such a punishment.
AB&V bought the biggest local brand a long time ago (Quilmes beer) and they have been perverting most of their other brands (Bud, Quilmes, Stella Artois and Brahma) ever since. A friend of my brother is a trucker and he has been hauling load after load of rice from Santiago del Estero to the Quilmes brewery for 5-6 years now, given the local rhye production isn't enough to fulfill the demand.

Truly bottled cat's piss.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
AB&V bought the biggest local brand a long time ago (Quilmes beer) and they have been perverting most of their other brands (Bud, Quilmes, Stella Artois and Brahma) ever since. A friend of my brother is a trucker and he has been hauling load after load of rice from Santiago del Estero to the Quilmes brewery for 5-6 years now, given the local rhye production isn't enough to fulfill the demand.

Truly bottled cat's piss.
Yes, apart from being brand thieves, their rice-perverted horse piss sucks donkey balls.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is an excellent Twitter thread by Geir Jordet, a football psychologist, showing how El Dibu owned the goal zone from the beginning. He has a history of messing with the kicker's heads.

Well worth the read.

cheers for sharing.
Just sent it to my daughter. She's been playing since 4yr old (before female teams were an option) now 13 and currently keeper for Hibernian FC women's U14 National team.
_20200928_152119.jpg

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

The time he made Bruno Fernandes miss by pointing to Ronaldo and shouting he should have had the shot was maybe his masterpiece.

Well worth the read.

Hey Guys,what happens if El Dibu got a Red Card when he threw that Ball? They can’t go to the Bench?

Avy

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Hey Guys,what happens if El Dibu got a Red Card when he threw that Ball? They can’t go to the Bench?

Avy
AFAIK there are six changes per match, five during the regular time and one more for the extension. But if your goalkeeper kets the red card, one of the players in the field has to take his place. I'm not sure if it's one of the remaining 10 or one of the 5 kickers.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
AFAIK there are six changes per match, five during the regular time and one more for the extension. But if your goalkeeper kets the red card, one of the players in the field has to take his place. I'm not sure if it's one of the remaining 10 or one of the 5 kickers.
Wow,so either way it ain’t a Goal Keeper. How do we find out for sure?

Avy

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
:fans:

if you go to that clown's social media, you'll find thousands of comments by Argentinian fans bashing him.

He seems to have been able to reach the field because of "Chiqui" Tapia, the president of the Argentinian Football Association. Chiqui went to have dinner to one of this goon's restaurants a few nights before the final match.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's just pure clickbait! Although looking at the stats el Dibu had twice the effectivity of the French goalkeeper.
As a life long keeper, penalties suck. But he has yet to stop one for France in 9 chances. Dibu had a mental advantage over the shooter. That dude was on this tournament and deserves to make $12m in Germany.