Quantcast

FOOTBALL WORLD CUP 2022... Any of you guys watching?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Japan better get to work cleaning up the stands, because those PKs were TRRRAAAAAAASSHHH

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Something that always cracks me up is when a player has an uncontested shot on goal and sails the ball 50 feet too high or when someone sends the ball directly at the goalie for a PK.
The unwritten rules of penalty kicks start by "if you aren't really comfortable with precision kicks, just hit the ball as hard as you can and aim for the center of the goal", or as we say down here, "pegale fuerte y al medio".

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yep. And if the goalie decides to just stand his ground the shooter looks kinda like a buffoon. :D
That almost never happens. You can easily fool a goalkeeper by just starting your run before the kick slightly angled, so he thinks you'll aim for the corners.

But in essence, the penalties stage is a lottery. From the goalkeeper's view the goal measures half a kilometer across, and from the kicker's, it's smaller than an ice hockey one.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
France Vs Argentina or Brazil is my ideal final
Brazil vs Argentina. France vs Portugal in the semis

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
EDIT: Also, France has assembled their national team off expats, as many others have done. I don't want to sound chauvinistic, but we have a 100% national team*

* This is really a tongue-in-cheek comment
yeah. But even so I don't really get your point.
95% of the French team were born in France.
In order to qualify to play for your country you only need to have one parent of that nationality or be born in the country. Same as citizenship /passport

I agree Messi deserves a WC.
And that he's one of the best players ever.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
That almost never happens. You can easily fool a goalkeeper by just starting your run before the kick slightly angled, so he thinks you'll aim for the corners.

But in essence, the penalties stage is a lottery. From the goalkeeper's view the goal measures half a kilometer across, and from the kicker's, it's smaller than an ice hockey one.
I've been arguing for a while that they could just move the penalty spot back so it's less of a ridiculous guessing game and would better emphasize player skill.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Something that always cracks me up is when a player has an uncontested shot on goal and sails the ball 50 feet too high or when someone sends the ball directly at the goalie for a PK.
Ah.. You're an England fan then?
In it purely for the comedy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've been arguing for a while that they could just move the penalty spot back so it's less of a ridiculous guessing game and would better emphasize player skill.
How about from the centre spot and having basketball net placed on the crossbar taking the poor keepers out of the equation completely?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
How about from the centre spot and having basketball net placed on the crossbar taking the poor keepers out of the equation completely?
I have no idea what you're on about.

I'm just suggesting increasing the range from the spot to the goal so that the keeper has a chance of saving a shot not purely based on guessing correctly or the player taking the penalty screwing up.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know. I find English language comprehendsion fairly straightforward.
I also made a suggestion.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Not going well for South Korea.

Keeper pysch'd him on the penalty and then didn't dive to the side he'd wanted him to shoot...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Commentary here is pretty funny... Ex Scotland/Rangers Captain Ally McCoist going off his head and just about losing his voice offering his advice to next level Brazilians

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Totally bizarre, this match... I keep waiting for Morocco to run out of gas, but whatever they are doing seems to be working?
They've had the better chances when I've been able to watch, like the one they just missed.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is still nuts. As a keeper who has had to do a shoot out, this is textbook. Not sure if it was luck or intuition, but he was on.