Quantcast

FOOTBALL WORLD CUP 2022... Any of you guys watching?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't watch the Idiot box
I find this statement lazy. Sure the main channels produce a ton of shit but if you look for good content you will find it. For a bit of a blantant corporate shilling my company BBC has a VOD product in the US called BBC Select. BBC docs are very far from what I'd call idiot box content. There are many more high quality sources of knowledge or just quality entertainment that makes you think.

It's nothing wrong with not watching TV but pretending it's all Kardashians, Ancient Aliens and Rob Dyrdek is painting a false picture.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
At least they are up front about it. The rest of the world hides behind armbands and fingerpointing while all the same shit happens anyway.
Wait what? I'd get an argument that the rest of the world isn't perfect but this statement is plain wrong. Incomplete data shows 6500+ people dead during preparations to the world cup (which means probably more dead), The Kafala system is basically modern slavery or rather indentured servitude, women get put on trial for getting raped. Even my leftie wokiestan brain won't claim "oh no evil imperialist west is as bad" because it is not.

Also as someone who has been to Qatar and seeing docs about working conditions (and living conditions) of workers. Seriously few countries can offer such grueling labour conditions. I was wet like I came out of the shower after 3 minutes of Qatari heat in the summer.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Said like a true expert on the game.
Mercan sports are so high scoring it just becomes super repetitive... Bit like watching you dumb fucks empty rounds from your guns.
Certainly no expert but it was the only organized non bike related sport I ever played. However when researching optimal sorting algorithms for a project at work I stumbled across research on the best way of organizing competitive tournaments. If the best team always wins a single elimination tournament will produce the best winner but all other results are pretty much meaningless. But all sports have noise. In most sports like basketball the best team wins only 70%. So for the something like the NCAA tournament the bet team only has a 12% of chance of winning the tournament. The odds of the best football team winning any one game is much much lower. So group play will do a good job of eliminating the worst team but noise will dominate once things get into single elimination. I’ll leave it up to you to calculate the odds.

The nice thing about it is that fans of mediocre teams can have hope that their team has a chance to win, because they do.

Interestingly this line of research was founded by Louis Caroll who was also a professor of Mathematics at Oxford with his breathtaking book “Lawn Tennis Tournaments: The True Method of Assigning Prizes with a Proof of the Fallacy of the Present Method”

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I do enjoy poor South American countries beating, well, every team they play.
TBF.. The countries may be poor but many of their best players are being paid a close to $€£million each week.

Most wealthy countries got that way through being cunts one way or another. But good for all of you brave enough to boycott watching a sporting tournament featuring a sport you have no clue about being played in a county you probably rarely ever thought about before said irrelevant tournament.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Certainly no expert but it was the only organized non bike related sport I ever played. However when researching optimal sorting algorithms for a project at work I stumbled across research on the best way of organizing competitive tournaments. If the best team always wins a single elimination tournament will produce the best winner but all other results are pretty much meaningless. But all sports have noise. In most sports like basketball the best team wins only 70%. So for the something like the NCAA tournament the bet team only has a 12% of chance of winning the tournament. The odds of the best football team winning any one game is much much lower. So group play will do a good job of eliminating the worst team but noise will dominate once things get into single elimination. I’ll leave it up to you to calculate the odds.

The nice thing about it is that fans of mediocre teams can have hope that their team has a chance to win, because they do.

Interestingly this line of research was founded by Louis Caroll who was also a professor of Mathematics at Oxford with his breathtaking book “Lawn Tennis Tournaments: The True Method of Assigning Prizes with a Proof of the Fallacy of the Present Method”
You Americans really do have a talent for sucking the enjoyment and passion out of every sport with your obsession for stats

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
4 years ago today Gary I was with like 35 Mexicans(co workers family etc) only one who could speak english watching Mexico Germany Game In Spanish. Morning game 7am? Mexico 2 Germany 0. Great Food,Cold Beer,and wonderful Coke. I Love this Game.

Poland better step it up.

I am still recovering from our Loss.

Avy

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
TBF.. The countries may be poor but many of their best players are being paid a close to $€£million each week.
And they should be.

What I do enjoy about futbol and basketball is you can find real talent doesn't matter the economic state the person comes from.

You will get good F1 drivers, Motogp, hockey players, but who could be the greatest driver ever might never even drive a car.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I find this statement lazy. Sure the main channels produce a ton of shit but if you look for good content you will find it. For a bit of a blantant corporate shilling my company BBC has a VOD product in the US called BBC Select. BBC docs are very far from what I'd call idiot box content. There are many more high quality sources of knowledge or just quality entertainment that makes you think.

It's nothing wrong with not watching TV but pretending it's all Kardashians, Ancient Aliens and Rob Dyrdek is painting a false picture.
I work 50+ hours per week. In my off time I prefer doing stuff and playing, Vs sitting on my ass watching other people play. I have never found sitting on the couch watching stuff to be a stimulating form of entertainment. I would rather build things, work out, cook, play with my dogs, hang out talking with my wife. To each his own.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I work 50+ hours per week. In my off time I prefer doing stuff and playing, Vs sitting on my ass watching other people play. I have never found sitting on the couch watching stuff to be a stimulating form of entertainment. I would rather build things, work out, cook, play with my dogs, hang out talking with my wife. To each his own.
Psst - you're in the wrong thread.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
And they should be.

What I do enjoy about futbol and basketball is you can find real talent doesn't matter the economic state the person comes from.

You will get good F1 drivers, Motogp, hockey players, but who could be the greatest driver ever might never even drive a car.
Oh. Yeah. I totally agree.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Said like a true expert on the game.
Mercan sports are so high scoring it just becomes super repetitive... Bit like watching you dumb fucks empty rounds from your guns.
Says the guy starting the thread equivalent of "lets watch the olympics in nazi germany. Because hey olympics!"

Fuck FIFA and fuck Qatar.

Nothing quite like seeing the head FIFA penis sitting between MBS and Putin....literally.

You can't play humanity advocate and be a fan of this mess.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am fat and lazy. I even watch baseball. Can't ride a wheelie either. I stay home in the summer to watch the tour de France instead of riding my bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
AI has determined the US would fail, so no point in watching now.
AI tool predictions vary wildly in their prediction accuracy and predicting sports events like this is probably the hardest prediction science after weather since you get small data samples and a lot of unforseen events. Also "would fail". No it didn't. Those tools give accuracy probability and often add certainity ranges.

Sorry but I'm anal about forecasting.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
But that was not my argument. My argument wasn't "TV is fun" or "You need to watch TV". My argument was TV is not dumb if you are not lazy and know what to look for.

Also you never read books or post on RM? Since it also is entertainment that involves sitting. It's just there are forms of entertainment that are frowned upon and other that make you look like a cool boi. I also prefer the cool boi ones but that doesn't mean all TV is dumb. Because it is not.