Quantcast

FOOTBALL WORLD CUP 2022... Any of you guys watching?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Who the fuck cares if TV is dumb? Its main purpose is entertainment. Not a means to one up your fellow self righteous stick up boring friends with who is currently watching the most high brow program. Oh.. OK. For some folk it obviously is.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
GHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

:D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
european soccer....

europes version of a klan rally and a game breaks out....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just finished watching...I guess that makes this evening easier in our house :D

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Was it just me or was USA v England meh?

I know it's soccer and all. But I've hit people harder on their bike on the trail for buzzing my rear tire and no ref called it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Was it just me or was USA v England meh?

I know it's soccer and all. But I've hit people harder on their bike on the trail for buzzing my rear tire and no ref called it.

0-0 game is the pinnacle of sporting competition. Almost as good as a race where everyone DNFs.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
A 0-0 draw is obviously disappointing. But it doesn't have to be as uneventful as that game tonight and can still sometimes actually be very watchable. Not tonight tho.
How long did you play for @Westy? And how old were you when you got into it? Actually did you ever actually get into it? Doesn't really seem that way.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A 0-0 draw is obviously disappointing. But it doesn't have to be as uneventful as that game tonight and can still sometimes actually be very watchable. Not tonight tho.
How long did you play for @Westy? And how old were you when you got into it? Actually did you ever actually get into it? Doesn't really seem that way.
Played from 6 until 14. Stopped for a while because I had to work on top of going to school. But was obsessed with the game. All my free time was spent on my bike or kicking a ball around the back yard with my brother. Played again at indoor intramural level in college as it was a minimal time commitment because work and school again. Like XC racing one of those sports that is a lot more fun to participate in than watch IMO. I also gave up watching the game after going to a handful of Seattle Sounders games which always started off as interesting but always ended up with super frustrating time killing and super-flopping at the end of games. Of course that is what is necessary to win games but certainly not how I ever played.

The sport could be a lot more intriguing if they could adapt the rules but like American baseball I assume the traditionalists would freak out (although there is nothing that can be done to make baseball interesting). Shorten the games but run a live ball clock, shorten the field for more scoring, penalize the flopping etc.

But the joke is on me. Next world cup is going to be here. I can certainly choose not to go to any games but I can't avoid the traffic.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
And how old were you when you got into it? Actually did you ever actually get into it? Doesn't really seem that way.
i played when i was like 4-5 years old for like 5 saturdays.....decided i had better shit to do.....

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
But the joke is on me.
Only because you seem to have somehow missed everything good about the game. I guess the US teams/leagues you watched as a kid might not have been the best introduction. I sympathise. Scottish football is gash too. The game really doesn't need to be changed to make it more "interesting".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Only because you seem to have somehow missed everything good about the game. I guess the US teams/leagues you watched as a kid might not have been the best introduction. I sympathise. Scottish football is gash too. The game really doesn't need to be changed to make it more "interesting".
There's the difference. Never watched the game when I played. Doubt I ever could have with the three terrestrial TV stations I received. Family/roommates would never have stood for it even if the rare world cup or Olympic game was on.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Time for the Flea. Drama.

Avy
Good Half,it’s on now!

SlimShady,you must have somthing to say with All that is on the Line? I would think at least you say that the Country is going Crazy right now?

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
There's the difference.
Like I said. You simply don't "get" it. Rather eye-opening considering you played the game for 8 years of your life. But nevertheless.

But the difference is more cultural than to do with what you did or didn't have access to on TV. Football simply isn't in the US culture... you may have become decent at playing now (not exactly difficult with a population of 300m+ but like a many things the rest of the world take for granted your country has no roots in it.