Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This has been on my radar for a winter beater. If it goes together well, and the welds are good enough let me know. For the price its good.
Yeah, plan is to build it for some deep freeze shit. Chainstays are pretty long, so it's not going to be as nimble as my other fatbike, but it doesn't need to be.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Why would you ever need a second fat bike?
Might not even end up as a "second" fatbike, it'll be more of a long-term project to build it and kind of depends on what happens with my current one. The current one isn't optimal for long treks through the wilderness though. It can be done, but it'd be better to have a bike dedicated for that use.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Just picked up a new beargrease from my friends at salsa for my winter rig. They did an incredible job w/ the re-design, really well thought out...Building it up w/ some XTR and carbon 27.5 x 4 wheels, should be a ripper.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Might not even end up as a "second" fatbike, it'll be more of a long-term project to build it and kind of depends on what happens with my current one. The current one isn't optimal for long treks through the wilderness though. It can be done, but it'd be better to have a bike dedicated for that use.
Fair enough, what about a Hanebrink E Golf Bike?-
According to the Hanebrik website they make the worlds best bikes, can't go wrong!

EDIT-Whoah $7800 if you spec it up a bit and get the cup holder!

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
helllllllz yeahhhhh. only thing better would’ve been a bronson. or a nomad. especially a 2650b nomad :D
Demo'd a Bronson today. F/R weight distribution on that bike is fvcking perfect. Suspension was clapped out and I was riding high speed tech trails blind but had no problem keeping the throttle full open. Not once did I need to think about getting more weight over the front or rear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Demo'd a Bronson today. F/R weight distribution on that bike is fvcking perfect. Suspension was clapped out and I was riding high speed tech trails blind but had no problem keeping the throttle full open. Not once did I need to think about getting more weight over the front or rear.
Did you have a session IPA afterwards?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Current gen one with the lower link driven shock or the old one?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Been looking for a fatbike frame for cheap or on closeout to build as an Iditarod bike with a rack, the biggest tires and mech brakes.

This was just too good to pass up for $279 shipped:

https://www.rsdbikes.com/product/v3-mayor-aluminum/

View attachment 130836
Looks like I can put it together for around a grand or less too for everything, since I already have an extra wheelset, EC90 seatpost that fits, etc...Wasn't really expecting that. Chinese fork for $100, TRP spyres, grip-shifter, x01 derailleur, almost everything I need except bar and cranks for around $600 in parts. Crabon cranks will put it close to 1K.

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
Haven't posted on this site in a while but figured I'd share this cool new toy I picked up. Lupine Lights Alpha with 7200 lumens. Pics below were taken on a foggy night first ride and I had trouble getting good shots. The camera just does not pick up how far the light travels and how wide the beam is. The app is pretty cool as well so you can custom tune how many levels of light you want and how many watts per level. This can be changed on the fly during a ride if you want to change settings.

IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2464 (2)_edited.jpg

IMG_2460.jpg
IMG_2456.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2462.JPG

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Haven't posted on this site in a while but figured I'd share this cool new toy I picked up. Lupine Lights Alpha with 7200 lumens.
nice! Just looked the light up. seems amazing but it's £1000!
How hot does it get on full chat?

If we're doing lights

I just upgraded my night lights to these...
Not as powerful as yours but still plenty bright enough with a lot of great features and also wireless remote controllable
Optics are among the best I've ever seen and the separate flood/spot or combined modes are brilliant.
Remote's really intuitive M button toggles between flood, spot and combnined while the + and - buttons let you control output.
I really like the battey mounting, it's an aluminium plate with rubber underneath to grip your frame and velcro ties attach it to your frame (or mount to waterbottle bosses whatever they are), and the battery then clips into the mount like a cassette.
Sensible length heavy duty cables and nice build quality on everything. (plastic looks quite cheaper and nasty in the manufacurers pics but IRL it's really not)

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/magicshine-eagle-f3-3000-lumen-bike-light-2016-model.html

Have to admit the fact that the light mounts centrally over your stem and will fit 35mm and 31.8 was a big plus for me too.
not sure if Magicshine are still doing this light. (I got the last one from the UK dist.) and they have something coming out in a few weeks to rival that lupine (but it doesn't seem to have a remote)

local717

Monkey
Apr 11, 2010
Mt.Gretna/Lancaster
nice! Just looked the light up. seems amazing but it's £1000!
How hot does it get on full chat?

If we're doing lights

I just upgraded my night lights to these...
Not as powerful as yours but still plenty bright enough with a lot of great features and also wireless remote controllable
Optics are among the best I've ever seen and the separate flood/spot or combined modes are brilliant.
Remote's really intuitive M button toggles between flood, spot and combnined while the + and - buttons let you control output.
I really like the battey mounting, it's an aluminium plate with rubber underneath to grip your frame and velcro ties attach it to your frame (or mount to waterbottle bosses whatever they are), and the battery then clips into the mount like a cassette.
Sensible length heavy duty cables and nice build quality on everything. (plastic looks quite cheaper and nasty in the manufacurers pics but IRL it's really not)

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/magicshine-eagle-f3-3000-lumen-bike-light-2016-model.html

Have to admit the fact that the light mounts centrally over your stem and will fit 35mm and 31.8 was a big plus for me too.
not sure if Magicshine are still doing this light. (I got the last one from the UK dist.) and they have something coming out in a few weeks to rival that lupine (but it doesn't seem to have a remote)
Your light looks on spot too, and this whole light scenario is getting to be very much like the majority of bikes these days. Outside of certain brand standards the top brands are pretty great.

To answer your question, it does get hot if you have it on high and you're not moving. The Lupine systems have for decades partially relied on airflow to help with cooling. My first ride using this light last Monday night I ran a bunch of different scenarios that a common user would encounter. Note I do work for Lupine to some extant and have been providing feedback to Germany on how this light and other Lupine work in the North American market. So on tighter switchback descents the light did back down a couple watts from high due to lower speed, however when I rode faster dh trails it did not. And when it did back down a bit it was only a few watts which were not lost because I was moving slower and did not need more then say 7000 lumens. Something that did set this light apart from a lot of other units I've seen is the wide spread of the beam in every wattage setting, unless you program low to just use the lower lights. Which is a cool feature as you can tune that setting to point more at he ground right in front of you while climbing, or set it up like that so the light is not shining in on coming traffic if you're on the road. The optics are also tuned to provide a very long throw, which meant I had a ton of time to spot lines. I was even faster on a descent in the foggy, muddy, slippery conditions than in the dry.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Thanks.
Yeah. Lights have really come on in the last few years. I also have a smaller all in one 1600lm light to use for shorter local rides so I'll be using the magicshine along with a smaller less poweful helmet light for proper off road rides 2 or 3 evenings a week throughout the winter (it get's dark here around 4:30pm mid Winter).
The new £200 Magicshine monteer 6500lm light just about to be released was tempting to hold on for because of it's DH capability but it doesn't seem to have a remote or be as intuitive to use or as versatile as mine. Plus TBF way more of my riding is tight quick and technical with loads of turns than flat out high speed and in the open so the brightest light isn't really required. Worth a look if a pure DH light on a budget is what you're looking for though. The Garmin mounting is a nice touch too. well... maybe not quite so much if you DH with a garmin GPS attached to your bars but who does that?
http://www.magicshine.com/product/monteer-6500-downhill-bike-front-light/

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Have a pair of lupines that are around 1200 lumens each. Often find that the lights are overkill when both are on high... to the point where things wash out a bit at the center spot.

Cant imagine what 7200 lumens get you.

I can see it now - drone-mounted lights that follow you around through the woods simulating sunlight. Whoooo! Night ride!!!!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Cant imagine what 7200 lumens get you.
I just have visions of it scorching a path through the trees light a light saber, making a trail any which way you point it.

I think my night riding lights are like 900 lumens or something. 7200 would be hilarious unless someone looked into them.