Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Behold, the unholy matrimony of 26 wheels (crabon!) on a 27.5 frame.
Bike built up.jpg

Also behold excessive brake line cuz no one has a Formula bleed kit in stock. I might try and snare some rabbits for dinner on the next ride.

In all seriousness though, it has performed above and beyond expectations on it's first run. Roomier TT, longer WB and lowish BB (348mm with these wheels).... bike rips!

Thanks @kidwoo and @Gary for the inspiration.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
How it's behaving going down, rough stuff, jump stuff, steep stuff, lots of roots stuff, long stuff. Best in comparison to a coil shock.

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
@Flo33: H'oh boy, I was afraid you were asking something like that. I've only had two rides on the bike; yesterday and today. Up until yesterday my DH bike was my trail bike so I'm getting used to the new bike, and in particular 65mm / 50mm less rear / front travel. Also wider bar and, longer reach. All I can say about the shock as of today is nothing about it bothered me yet. Unfortunately I'm not the one to give you the info you're looking for. I've been riding for a long time but I haven't tried a lot of different bikes and equipment over the years. Basically any suspension feels good to me!

Sorry.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
No worries, thanks for the answer. Sometimes noticeably inconspicuous behavior is a good thing.
Yup, if it does not call attention to itself, plays nice with you and the terrain you are riding and does not seem to be a hindrance.

Count your blessings and move onto finding that damn creak that we all seem to be chasing lately.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Ok yea, that looks fun...
Hope so! With this fork and a -1* Works Components set, it's ~64*.

Waiting on a few drivetrain bits. Have lighter and heavier wheel/tire setups for use as needed. The full DH bike just doesn't get the use I thought I'd give it, and something like this is a better match for what I like/ride at the lifts I hit anyhow. Bonus being it's actually pedalable on local stuff as well, albeit a pig compared to my daily driver. Though I suspect it may pedal even better, despite the extra heft/slackness/wheelbase.

My favorite pedaling bike in the past was a Corsair Marque. Fantastic bike with some great ideas, just that the implementation and QC of those ideas suuuuuuucked. And their follow-up CS.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Two fans and a bug zapper, what are you growing in the garage?
Also, the image needs a NSFW tag coz I can see nipples.

EDIT- Is it a heater? Colour looks more bug zapper like. Do you have two microwaves?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Two fans and a bug zapper, what are you growing in the garage?
Also, the image needs a NSFW tag coz I can see nipples.

EDIT- Is it a heater? Colour looks more bug zapper like. Do you have two microwaves?
Heater. My garage is fairly decently insulated but has no heating or cooling of its own. Fans in the summer. Heater, door to inside in the winter with the outer door shut of course.

Sadly deficient in the microwave department, having only one.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Id like to do some mods to it, but I don't want to spend any money. Would be cool if I had an HS-33 lying around. Maybe I could install my Transfer if the diameter is correct?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
May be good to go by Thursday. Downside for y'all report-wise is most everything by me that's rideable at the moment is all short ups and downs. About 500' of vert in one stretch is about it locally around me. Until the resorts and more northern bits are snow-free again!

OG Gravity Dropper while awaiting a new Reverb hose...

20181204_174458.jpg
20181204_174622.jpg
20181204_174526.jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Nah, it fits just fine, and has enough clearance with all the air out, sooooooo we'll see how that goes on a harsh bottom out. Picked it up super cheap, new, so worth a try.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
That Commy is shit hot. What frame is that?

Figured I'd post an update since I finally got my repainted BTR back and built. Such a cool color (Illusionary Moss from Prismatic). It made me sad to get it dirty knowing it will never look as pretty as it did. Turns out, it still rides awesome and my regrets about getting the bike dirty faded fast.

IMG_6815 (1).jpg

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
10lbs frame. Sounds indestructible.
Mine came in @ 8.5-ish without shock, but the rest of the frame bits on. 32# as in the pics above, but that's with skinny single ply tires on.

I'm a short/skinny due that can get away with light shit, so 33-35# in the end, even with DH tires for me.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
That Commy is shit hot. What frame is that?

Figured I'd post an update since I finally got my repainted BTR back and built. Such a cool color (Illusionary Moss from Prismatic). It made me sad to get it dirty knowing it will never look as pretty as it did. Turns out, it still rides awesome and my regrets about getting the bike dirty faded fast.

View attachment 131772
Haaaaaaawt. Want to tooch the boobies on that one.