Quantcast

For all you 20 inchers out there...

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
This may sound like a wierd question, but is a 20.5" top tube pretty short for dirt jumping and general street riding if I'm used to a mountain bike? I want to get another BMX bike, but I just can't figure out if I want 20.5 or 20.75. I had a Terrible One which had the 20.625 top tube and loved it, but I'm now just stuck. I think that I am going to buy a Fit Team complete bike and change a few things, and the bike is offered in the normal 20.5, or 20.75 for more money. Obviously the T1 was right in the middle. Any info would be helpful, thanks.

Dave

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm about 5'9", but all of the other 20 inches that I've ridden have had longer top tubes. I actually secured myself a 20.5" Fit Mike Aitken bike, I'll post pictures soon, it looks sick.

RideFour15

Chimp
Apr 4, 2005
East Taunton, MA
At your height, a 20.75 would probably be a bit better. Even though it's only 1/4", it makes quite a difference in handling, especially if you do spins, you'll notice it. I'm 6'2" and ride a 21", a 20.5 was too small for me.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Li'l Dave said:
I'm about 5'9", but all of the other 20 inches that I've ridden have had longer top tubes. I actually secured myself a 20.5" Fit Mike Aitken bike, I'll post pictures soon, it looks sick.
at 5'9" a 20.5 ought to work fine.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm still waiting for my bike to show up, stupid UPS :rolleyes: Well I'm really hoping that the 20.5 works out well, I guess my T1 was only a bit longer (.125 inches) and that thing was awesome. Now I just have to learn to junp a BMX bike and I can be happy.

MeanMachine

Chimp
Apr 11, 2005
NYC
On my BMX bike, I just switched from a cheap 20'' tt DK stepup frame to a much better Kink Cielencki 20.5 tt frame. I didn't think half inch would make such a big difference, but it does! I'm 5'8'' and 20.5'' feels great. I'm glad though I didn't go with 20.75 or 21'' tt frame - what I have feels just right, anything longer would make spinning harder.
Here's a chart from danscomp, they recommend 20.5 '' for riders who are up to 55'10'' tall, but it's, of course, a matter of preference.
http://www.danscomp.com/products/charts/riderchart.htm

Fit Team is a good choice for a complete BMX bike, and 20.5'' should work fine for you - you may need a little time to adjust though. Enjoy.

PS what's up all, I'm new here.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
the 20.5 seems good so far, I haven't had much time on the bike besides some late night park sessions and some lame jumping, but it feels good. Here are some pics, check' er out