Quantcast

For all you guys that CANT lose your work how do you back up?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
If I had a lot of money, I'd probably do it - dual 10k RPM drives on RAID 0, just for kicks, since it'd be a nice speed boost. But all I'd put on it would be the OS and my installed programs - I'd never keep data there.
If you had alot of money you'd have a Ultra-320 SCSI machine with 15K RPM drives. :D

Wouldn't you?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Okay I've got a question:

I picked up a 120gb external HD over the holidays. I'd like to back up the settings, email, settings and all the other stuff beyond the pictures and music. I installed the Windows backup stuff and set it up to do that but it craps out at with a FAT32(?) error.

What do to get around this?

I do have a DVD burner and I'll burn a couple of DVDs with our music and photos every couple of weeks. I keep one at the house and one at work. Its a little time consuming but with all the pictures of Willow I don't want to take any chances.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
If you had alot of money you'd have a Ultra-320 SCSI machine with 15K RPM drives. :D

Wouldn't you?
Maybe. In a static server environment, they're great. In a dynamic home environment like mine where I'm constantly tweaking, changing, reinstalling, altering hardware, etc., sporadic driver support and exotic hardware that is not available locally if something fails, could be more of a pain than it's worth.

But it all depends on just how much money we're talking about me having here :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
I picked up a 120gb external HD over the holidays. I'd like to back up the settings, email, settings and all the other stuff beyond the pictures and music. I installed the Windows backup stuff and set it up to do that but it craps out at with a FAT32(?) error.
Try formatting the drive if it's new.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
binary visions said:
Maybe. In a static server environment, they're great. In a dynamic home environment like mine where I'm constantly tweaking, changing, reinstalling, altering hardware, etc., sporadic driver support and exotic hardware that is not available locally if something fails, could be more of a pain than it's worth.
Ultra-320 SCSI has been around for awhile...... :think:

Of course, maybe MS doesn't support that type of exotic stuff. Linux does, though. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DRB said:
I do have a DVD burner and I'll burn a couple of DVDs with our music and photos every couple of weeks. I keep one at the house and one at work. Its a little time consuming but with all the pictures of Willow I don't want to take any chances.
are you catching up on a backlog, or are you creating 9GB of new data that fast?

splat

Nam I am
SkaredShtles said:
Jeezus, dude. Here's the bottom line:

Nobody in their right mind uses RAID 0 anymore in a professional environment. :p

I'd refuse to support an arrangement like that. What a mess. :think:
You don't know how much I have gripped about this. and Every other admin I have talked to who has to deal with Clearcase has the same gripe. I finally got the dat moved to an EMC san with hardware RADI 5 ( that our clearcase people complained about using raid 5 ) and using a Sanp shot to do backups.

I mean what datbase product doens't create some agent to back it up Hot ???

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
splat said:
You don't know how much I have gripped about this. and Every other admin I have talked to who has to deal with Clearcase has the same gripe.
We have Clearcase in our environment, but haven't had to deal with any of these issues. Of course, all their data is on an EMC SAN.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
narlus said:
are you catching up on a backlog, or are you creating 9GB of new data that fast?
The music part is pretty static. However, we are constantly taking pictures of Willow.

Its kinda why I want to get the external HD going so I can just back up the new stuff and any changes. Then I can make the DVDs less often.

As for reformatting the HD, I can copy files to it without issue. And the error says something about FAT32 and a max file size of 4gb. That's when I use the Windows backup software.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sounds like it's having trouble because Windows Backup creates one big file and it's larger than 4gb.

Reformat the drive as NTFS (assuming you're using Windows XP) and you won't hit that limit anymore. FAT16 is limited to 2gb files, FAT32 is limited to 4gb files, and NTFS has no limit as far as I know. Actually, it does, but it's something retarded like 16 terabytes.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
binary visions said:
Sounds like it's having trouble because Windows Backup creates one big file and it's larger than 4gb. Must be formatted as FAT16 and it's telling you it needs to be formatted as FAT32.

Reformat the drive as NTFS (assuming you're using Windows XP) and you won't hit that limit anymore. FAT16 is limited to 4gb files, FAT32 is limited to 32gb files, and NTFS has no limit as far as I know.
Okay so hypothetically if one was going to reformat to NTFS using Windows XP what would be the best way of doing that?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
DRB said:
Okay so hypothetically if one was going to reformat to NTFS using Windows XP what would be the best way of doing that?
Right click the drive in My Computer, select "Format", and in the File System drop down box, select NTFS.

Edited my above post since I was confusing max file size with max volume size... Won't make a difference for your purposes, though, you still want NTFS.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
binary visions said:
Right click the drive in My Computer, select "Format", and in the File System drop down box, select NTFS.

Edited my above post since I was confusing max file size with max volume size... Won't make a difference for your purposes, though, you still want NTFS.
Thanks. I'll give that a try when I get home.

splat

Nam I am
SkaredShtles said:
Yup they are ! it is an journaling over lay on ext2, it is still a much improvemnt to EXT2

but take a large volume ( say 1 TB ) and do an FSCK on it . do the same on a Journaled system on Solaris or HP-UX and se the difference. its HUGE !!! the Solaris/HPux will be done in minutes the EXT3 will take about an hour.

I fell into this trap. and talking with our database/Kernel ( Geek ) programmer , who lives and breathes this stuff ( and I don't think has ever been laid, has authered several RFC ,etc ) expained the differences to me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
splat said:
Yup they are ! it is an journaling over lay on ext2, it is still a much improvemnt to EXT2
This sounds a lot like semantics. :think: If there is a journal "overlay" on ext2, then for all intents and purposes it is a journaled filesystem in my book. Of course, I'm not a kernel programmer, nor do I ever hope to be one.

but take a large volume ( say 1 TB ) and do an FSCK on it . do the same on a Journaled system on Solaris or HP-UX and se the difference. its HUGE !!! the Solaris/HPux will be done in minutes the EXT3 will take about an hour.
What filesystem was being used on the Solaris & HP-UX boxes? VxFS?

splat

Nam I am
SkaredShtles said:
This sounds a lot like semantics. :think: If there is a journal "overlay" on ext2, then for all intents and purposes it is a journaled filesystem in my book. Of course, I'm not a kernel programmer, nor do I ever hope to be one.

What filesystem was being used on the Solaris & HP-UX boxes? VxFS?
VxFS on Solaris , and HP's version of VxFS

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Jeezus, dude. Here's the bottom line:

Nobody in their right mind uses RAID 0 anymore in a professional environment. :p

I'd refuse to support an arrangement like that. What a mess. :think:
Raid 0 has one value: hi speed disk cache.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There's a bargain on 400gb drives posted on a bargain website I frequent, for $200. Well, there was a deal on 300gb drives a few days ago for $100. A guy there just suggested that instead of buying the 400gb drive, you buy two 300gb drives and set them up in RAID 0 :rolleyes: