Quantcast

For all you tall freaks (6'6" and up)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
We've all been wondering what DH bike will fit us. The search is over, period.

The new f-bomb baby, XL size, 18inch reach, perfect geo and price. Yay!

Edit:

Nice how he only includes the relevant GEO numbers and the fork length this is all measured with. Unlike just about every other mfg that includes pointless stuff like TT, seat angle, and doesn't include the fork measurements, shock hardware size etc. Go Frank! Also, did you see that BB piece on his website? Very nice how the ISCG tabs are machined on the one piece instead of welded on.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't care how tall you are, a 50" wheelbase is going to suck.
I'd rather learn to ride a bike that fit like a BMX than deal with a bike that cant' turn. (and yes, I'm tall)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I don't care how tall you are, a 50" wheelbase is going to suck.
I'd rather learn to ride a bike that fit like a BMX than deal with a bike that cant' turn. (and yes, I'm tall)
Eh, its probably not gonna be that long when you build it up. If you run a 22.25 fork and a flush headset it'll probably be closer to 49 than 50. Either way, if you're 6'6" and up you should be able to turn a 50in bike.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I feel like the wheelbase on my large V10 is pushing it to be fast in tight corners but I've read that Peaty and Minaar use even longer frames. Guess you develop a technique to deal with it. I've gotten faster in the tight stuff lately by putting more weight in the front and forcing the back end around more.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Holy hell that's long. And I was worried about picking up a slightly longer bike than what I'm on now, I'm going from a 46" bike to a 47".

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I'm six four and I find that I'd like a longer top tube on my large Flatline. I feel like by the time I'm in attack position I'm already too far forward.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I feel like the wheelbase on my large V10 is pushing it to be fast in tight corners but I've read that Peaty and Minaar use even longer frames. Guess you develop a technique to deal with it. I've gotten faster in the tight stuff lately by putting more weight in the front and forcing the back end around more.
On wc tracks and some bigger euro tracks loooong bike is not a problem. Most of them even though they are technical are wider than most local tracks (from what I observed in Maribor, Schlad and some smaller tracks) but most local tracks are narrower and long bike is a problem.

btw. 47'' small ? Are we back in 2002?

Also wasn't the bb previously really low? 0.25'' is not that low actualy 14.2'' + quite long cs. You lost me with the new numbers.

Last edited:

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
I was thinking the same thing about the wheel base. Great looking frame.
The wheel base is longer on that bike then it will be on my 29er DH bike :)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
btw. 47'' small ? Are we back in 2002?

Also wasn't the bb previously really low? 0.25'' is not that low actualy 14.2'' + quite long cs. You lost me with the new numbers.
I think the BB is supposed to be about 13.75 in the middle position, then + or - 1/2" in the top and middle slots, so 63 HA, 13.75 BB, 64HA 14.25, or 62HA and 13.25 BB, roughly, not sure on that. As for all you long bike haters, have you ever ridden a bike in that range? Longest I've ever ridden personally was about 48.75, and that had a ridiculously long CS, but a short cockpit and a HA steeper than this. I rode it on plenty of tight trails just fine.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Longest I rode was 48.3'' and it felt impossible to turn in the tight stuff. Given I am 5'10'' it was kinda obvious but it was a medium so it's kinda similar here.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Longest I rode was 48.3'' and it felt impossible to turn in the tight stuff. Given I am 5'10'' it was kinda obvious but it was a medium so it's kinda similar here.
Okay ya wow, that might be a tad too long for your height. I'm roughly 11% taller than you so if I ride a 50 in bike you'd want something closer the a 46 in bike. Not that everything scales directly with height. But ya, 48 is way too big for you. Meanwhile all these 47-47.5 inch bikes are clown size for me.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Okay ya wow, that might be a tad too long for your height. I'm roughly 11% taller than you so if I ride a 50 in bike you'd want something closer the a 46 in bike. Not that everything scales directly with height. But ya, 48 is way too big for you. Meanwhile all these 47-47.5 inch bikes are clown size for me.
I'm pretty sure there is a big differance between 47 and 50'' ;) But order one and test it. I'm curious if it's even possible to turn that bike ;)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My bike has a 49inch WB. Its got an incredibly long TT, chain stay is only 17.1.

Its a bitch and a half to get the front end up, it doesn't jump that well, but my god its stable and planted, and once you get used to it, I can corner it as fast as any other bike.

50 sounds too long for me, but I'm only 6'2", not 6'6" Sounds pretty rad, but I like long bikes.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
My bike has a 49inch WB. Its got an incredibly long TT, chain stay is only 17.1.

Its a bitch and a half to get the front end up, it doesn't jump that well, but my god its stable and planted, and once you get used to it, I can corner it as fast as any other bike.

50 sounds too long for me, but I'm only 6'2", not 6'6" Sounds pretty rad, but I like long bikes.
What the hell bike do you have? That sounds like a freakishly massive cockpit.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What the hell bike do you have? That sounds like a freakishly massive cockpit.
Yeah Im curios too!! :D LOL whats up WIll!!

Hey the XL jedi is 47 with a 13.75 bb 63-64 ha and short chainstay. It corners like its on rails. So at 6'6" this might be pretty OK, I know at 6'3" the XL jedi fits me like a glove. A bit better than my 08 large did so the extra room for big dudes might be cool!

Too long for me but short chainstay and higher pivot may give it better travel and quicker steering... Looks good! :thumb:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm on a canfield lucky. Its way longer then listed, but I'm happy to post tape measure shots if desired. Its pretty fuggin rad.