Quantcast

? for any of ya medical types..

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
has anyone ever heard of a bone screw coming loose? i f'd up my hand real bad last memorial day and just recently almost over night actually, a hard, circular bump has showed up on my 4th meta carpal right about where i know a screw is. i can actually feel 'something' when i push on it that just doesnt fee like any other part of my hand. i tried a web md search but not sure if i was even doing it righ. i have an appt on tues with the ortho but was just wondering if any of y'all have ever heard/seen anything like that

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
ridetoofast said:
has anyone ever heard of a bone screw coming loose? i f'd up my hand real bad last memorial day and just recently almost over night actually, a hard, circular bump has showed up on my 4th meta carpal right about where i know a screw is. i can actually feel 'something' when i push on it that just doesnt fee like any other part of my hand. i tried a web md search but not sure if i was even doing it righ. i have an appt on tues with the ortho but was just wondering if any of y'all have ever heard/seen anything like that
sounds like youi need one of these....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yup, some of them do work out. it is pretty common. hell ive got 2 of them (of the 6)that i can feel in my arm and they arent even working out. generally they take them out when that happens. the calcium deposits basicall just start squeezing the screw out.

Avalon

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
Somewhere ...
biggins said:
yup, some of them do work out. it is pretty common. hell ive got 2 of them (of the 6)that i can feel in my arm and they arent even working out. generally they take them out when that happens. the calcium deposits basicall just start squeezing the screw out.
Biggins is right. This can happen, and it's not all that uncommon. Bone generally forms along force vectors, but when you break a bone or have one repaired the new bone comes from the periosteum. That layer over the bone. It doesn't always form perfectly which is what is sounds like is happening. In addition, the screws we use are fitted, but not always perfect and can get loose either from continued trauma or improper bone healing. But it sounds like you're doing the right thing seeing the Orthopod Tuesday. They'll take a new x-ray to see that the screws are in place, and if it's the screw you're feeling or calcium deposit. Are you having any pain, or just a bump?

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
splat said:
Next time , tell the doc to use Loc-tite :D
blue, red, or is there a special kind for bone....

that was a good one ya :thumb:....smart ass
:p

i did have a very minor fall that i experienced some localized pain from right afterwards but i am hestitant to tell him how i did it for fear of some 'insurance' reprecussion so i guess ill have to fib???

i have full ROM, but with just a hint of discomfort at maximum flexion.

when i press down on the 'growth/bump' it seems as though there is a disctinct edge to it but i dont know if im feeling the screw or the plate that it is in. i had a comminuted fracture that require a plate w/multiple screws.

btw....how the hell did you know that???

Avalon

Chimp
Nov 13, 2004
Somewhere ...
It shouldn't matter how you reinjured it in terms of your insurance. That is unless you told them it was injured at work and you're getting workman's comp, or something. In general it is always best to communicate everything you can. Most of the time 90% of dignosis is from history alone. Just tell him what you did. It's hard to say from what you describe weither it's the plate/screw or bone. Sometimes it can even be scar tissue. But like I said, you're doing the right thing. Now, if you're having any numbness or tingling then it's a little more of a problem. But when they look at it and you're not really having any discomfort or decreased ROM then it just sounds likt a really bad break.

Worst case scenerio ... what you feel is a screw that's loose and is working it's way out. They make another incision and replace the screw, check to make sure the rest of the plate and screws are in place.

Good luck!

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
so i went to the doc today...he took xrays...and its all good. turns out its just an 'irritation' or sorts and i dont have anything to worry about. he said that the bones are completely healed at this point and could even remove all of the hardward but obviously it would be sorta ugle to get it out.

thanks for the answers thoug avalon :thumb: