Quantcast

For any of you back country explorer types...

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
That's a hell of a deal for 170 smackers. I haven't looked at the specs, but it would be nice to be able to schedule update intervals so you wouldn't actually have to fool with the thing unless you're in trouble.

Edit - for another 50 bucks a year on top of the $100 service plan, you can have your progress uploaded to google maps for anyone to view. Pretty cool.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
That scares me as I think people will continue to neglect learning the skills necessary thinking that they can just call for help.

Take the snowmobilers... their cell phone didn't get reception for a few days, so they were stuck in a hut.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
It does do automatic tracking. The device is $170, you get a basic services subscription for $100/year and you can add tracking to that for another $50/year.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
That scares me as I think people will continue to neglect learning the skills necessary thinking that they can just call for help.

Take the snowmobilers... their cell phone didn't get reception for a few days, so they were stuck in a hut.
Id pay good money to be stuck in a snowy mountain cabin with some beef jerkey and the hobbit to read.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Seems like a good thing to bring along and for only $170 not priced too high. But there is a service charge 0.27 a day or almost $100 a year. Again not too bad if your out there all the time. I won't get one, but I still like the idea

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Its a good idea in theory, but the biggest worry I have when I venture into the wilds is avalanches. I guess I never travel alone, always taking at least two other people with me, everyone running beacons.

This might make a nice back up should SHTF, but it would not be my first line of defense against things...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
It's probably out of the cost-justification scale for most casual users, but for somebody who lives or makes a living outdoors or in remote locations it could be very handy. I'm with you to a degree LO, I think anyone who puts themselves into that sort of situation should have the knowledge to be able to survive if needed. Suppose though they've become incapacitated in some manner and are unable to do everything they need to be able to do in order to survive, this is the perfect tool for that type of situation.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Id pay good money to be stuck in a snowy mountain cabin with some beef jerkey and the hobbit to read.
Amen!

Suppose though they've become incapacitated in some manner and are unable to do everything they need to be able to do in order to survive, this is the perfect tool for that type of situation.
no, I'm just talking about idiots. Not for those who do the right thing, but still get into unexpected trouble.

Like that hiker a few years back who had a boulder fall on his hand... Who the fock expects that?

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
no, I'm just talking about idiots. Not for those who do the right thing, but still get into unexpected trouble.

Like that hiker a few years back who had a boulder fall on his hand... Who the fock expects that?
The problem is the idiots won't buy it. Countless times we've been called for a hiker who was "Lost in the woods" Come to find out he/she is on their cell phone can even see their car but can't figure out how to get down. WTF!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
The problem is the idiots won't buy it. Countless times we've been called for a hiker who was "Lost in the woods" Come to find out he/she is on their cell phone can even see their car but can't figure out how to get down. WTF!
:disgust1:

"Which trail do I take? Can you send someone to come get me? I'm lost."

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
:disgust1:

"Which trail do I take? Can you send someone to come get me? I'm lost."
A few years ago the new chief said "Fck em" unless its dark, cold, or they've got children the fire department wasn't going to go look for those idiots. The Search & Rescue team I'm on is a different story though. The SAR only gets called when they've been missing for a couple of days.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
A few years ago the new chief said "Fck em" unless its dark, cold, or they've got children the fire department wasn't going to go look for those idiots. The Search & Rescue team I'm on is a different story though. The SAR only gets called when they've been missing for a couple of days.
Here, SAR costs an arm and a leg unless you bought SAR insurance, like $2/year.

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
SAR insurance is the way to go. Should it all go wrong, its nice to not have to pay out the butthole for someone to get you out.

Then again, I also think to get that insurance you should have to take some classes on going back into that part of the world, maybe have to take some basic survival too.

Maybe then they'll stop mucking up the new snow out there.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Here, SAR costs an arm and a leg unless you bought SAR insurance, like $2/year.
?? I know here in Pitkin county SAR is free. I know it used to be free in Summit County also. You can get the "insurance" it is more of a donation card than anything. When my sister was on Summit County SAR the myth that it SAR wasn't free was one of the biggest things they battled. People hesitated to call because they did not want to have to pay for it. This caused things to be worse than they could have been.