Quantcast

For anyone here that gives two ****s.....

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Down 18. Still fat. But my knees don't hit my gunt when I ride now.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Nice work guys!

Still not loosing any weight here, but I am getting a lot more fit with being able to ride on my lunches again. I can see I am losing mass (clothes fitting more loose too), but I am still maintaining the 205-210 weight.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Awesome.

I lost 90 pounds last year and have kept it all off since September.

Still a little soft, but the wife likes it. Now I just need muscle by this big birthday.

<edit> Damn, I really let myself go (296 in the first pic, 205 in the second). Every time I see that picture it freaks me out. :panic:

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
:stupid:

I'm afraid as of late I'm putting more on than Im taking off. I've had a bad case off no time and teh lazy lately, its not helping.
I have been lucky to get some tendency for high cholesterol so that is another concern besides weight. Its so damn easy to live unhealthy.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
congrats mike!

i quit weighing in because i was getting so frustrated trying to break below the 220lb mark...i'm more concerned now with my fitness than my weight. i judge my fitness now by my time on a few benchmark crossfit workouts, and run times. I did my 1.5 mile run in 11:00 flat last night after riding all day at work...so i'm feeling fairly pleased..not as fast as i was at 22 years old but not bad for my size/age. i've always been a big boy with love handles...so as long as i maintain my fitness i'm happy....that BMI list is just plain garbage!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Congrats on your progress - all of you. And damn JimmyDean, that is a lot of extra weight to carry around! Nice work.

I'm with Manimal though, I haven't weighed myself in forever. Muscle weighs more than fat and as a result I think the scale doesn't really tell me much. When I'm fit I weigh about the same as when I let myself go a little bit, because I have more muscle and less fat. Plus it drives me nuts when my buddies get freaked out over a pound or two. (I mean, jeez, I left more than that in the crapper this morning!)

Basically I focus on the extent of my gut, the impressiveness of my guns, and how much it hurts to keep up with my buddies. :D

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I weigh myself every few days. I would like to be about 225 (I was 235 in the Guard with muscle). But The reality is my body has gotten comfortable at it's current weight and I adjust my eating habits/activity level based on that. But I am between 202 (my lightest) and 212 (my heaviest) since last year.

I hadn't weighed myself since about 2007 when I was done in the guard and it just crept up from there.

Nice work to everyone. And Manimal, you are in FAR better shape than I am. I can't even think about trying to run right now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a naturally scrawny build. Despite riding a lot by the time I was 25 I hit 190 lbs. I started racing and road riding and managed to drop down to 155. I was at 155 for ten years. This winter I wasn't able to ride and put on 15 lbs despite running an lifting regularly. This summer I have gotten back on the bike but haven't been putting in the long rides. I'm losing plenty of fat, the belt backs that up, but haven't lost a single pound. I hope this is the result of more muscle mass, I always thought that long hours in the saddle burnt muscle as well as fat for me.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
i'm down about 10 this year as well to around 185. I dropped the winter flab but now it's time to put the muscle back on the upper body that got lost after 2 years of injury.

any advice how to best rebuild muscle for the upper body/shoulders/arms I get my cardio and lower/core from riding and motorcycles, but I'm so weak in the upper body that it's hard to even convince myself to work out.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i'm down about 10 this year as well to around 185. I dropped the winter flab but now it's time to put the muscle back on the upper body that got lost after 2 years of injury.

any advice how to best rebuild muscle for the upper body/shoulders/arms I get my cardio and lower/core from riding and motorcycles, but I'm so weak in the upper body that it's hard to even convince myself to work out.
kettlebells. they work great for core and shoulder work w/out injuring yourself if you do it right.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I agree on the cardio and leg strength, but I disagree that you get sufficient core workouts just from riding. Years ago I realized that I was getting lower back and neck pain on longer rides - that pain went away as soon as I added more core stuff to my program. You will also avoid injury better if you are stronger.

Your last comment is a classic "chicken or the egg" conundrum. It may be hard to get motivated but you need to start somewhere. Take it easy at first and do basic body-weight stuff like push-ups, dips, pull-ups, leg lifts, crunches, etc. Do three sets of each, with as many reps per set as you can do, even if it's only a few. Focus on your form - learn to do things the right way even if it means fewer reps.

It only takes around 30 minutes a few times a week. You will improve faster than you think, just be patient. And, it's easier to maintain fitness than to improve, so once you get to a decent level you won't have to work as hard.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I was referring more to riding sportbikes giving me a core workout, but you're probably right anyway. I do have chronic neck pain...

Thanks so much for the advice, I guess its mostly what I always knew but it's reassuring to hear it from other people. Manimal, I will look into some kettlebells. I'm at a disadvantage here because I never had to work out when I was younger, very physical jobs kept me plenty fit. I never played team sports so I never learned the work out to get better at the sport mentality, and now its SO hard to convince myself its worth it. I also never learned the proper ways to work out, and how to eat to maximize gain, things like that.

These days, after a few broken fingers, shattered wrist, gradeIII AC separation, torn meniscus in left knee... I'm starting to realize that strength is going to be the only thing that lets me get back to my cherished activities with minimal pain.

I just have the hardest time changing my routine. Especially for something that's painful and difficult. :(

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just have the hardest time changing my routine. Especially for something that's painful and difficult. :(
Sounds like you need to re-examine your relationship with what you call pain.

Not to get all metaphysical on you but the hurt from a workout (on or off the bike) is a very different feeling than the hurt from an injury, right? Train your mind to accept some "pain" as good. You want the result, the strain of a workout is the way to get there, and it's just a set of sensations. Don't fear it or shy away from it, embrace it. Eventually that strain will not register in a negative way and can even begin to feel good.

Whoa, pretty deep, eh? Anyway, good luck. :thumb:

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
I like the "pain" of post workout, that's not the issue. It's still the pain from injury, the adhesions of the tendons for my fingers caught up in the scar tissue, its the two knuckles that hurt so bad from the impact that shattered my metacarpal that it hurts to hold on to a weight. The popping and clicking of my shoulder ever since i destroyed it.

I love the feeling of my muscles feeling alive the day after a workout. Problem is at this point the workout hurts so much that I still feel I might be doing more harm than good. I just got back from the ortho though and he said I should be good to go, and I may not need surgery on my knee.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I was referring more to riding sportbikes giving me a core workout, but you're probably right anyway. I do have chronic neck pain...

Thanks so much for the advice, I guess its mostly what I always knew but it's reassuring to hear it from other people. Manimal, I will look into some kettlebells. I'm at a disadvantage here because I never had to work out when I was younger, very physical jobs kept me plenty fit. I never played team sports so I never learned the work out to get better at the sport mentality, and now its SO hard to convince myself its worth it. I also never learned the proper ways to work out, and how to eat to maximize gain, things like that.

These days, after a few broken fingers, shattered wrist, gradeIII AC separation, torn meniscus in left knee... I'm starting to realize that strength is going to be the only thing that lets me get back to my cherished activities with minimal pain.

just start with a lighter k-bell....maybe 20lb

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

Upper body building..... simple. Decide which muscles you want to build, read up what excersizes work with them, use freeweights, not machines... higher weight levels, lower reps. You want to be needing assistance on your last rep or two. Raise protein levels, trim off carbs.....

And hate to say this, but I am blunt and kind of an asshole...... your only getting an isometric workout on the bike.... You really need to get full extension and flexion workout if you want core strength. Isometric is good for stamina, but does nothing for true core strength..... Get in pushups and situps when your bored during the day.