Quantcast

For anyone here that gives two ****s.....

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
Upper body building..... simple. Decide which muscles you want to build, read up what excersizes work with them, use freeweights, not machines... higher weight levels, lower reps. You want to be needing assistance on your last rep or two. Raise protein levels, trim off carbs.....

And hate to say this, but I am blunt and kind of an asshole...... your only getting an isometric workout on the bike.... You really need to get full extension and flexion workout if you want core strength. Isometric is good for stamina, but does nothing for true core strength..... Get in pushups and situps when your bored during the day.
fantastic info, see this is the stuff I simply don't know. Every time i've tried to read up on work-out stuff on the internet I always get the feeling people are trying to sell me ****, and I'm suspect of the information.

Manimal, thanks for that video, that looks totally do-able and a great place to start. DirtyMike I don't think you're an asshole (not for saying that, at least :weee:) but that really does make a lot of sense.

edit: is there any exercise that does the opposite of a situp? I feel like those muscles need strengthening.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Get a stability ball (think large beach ball) and do your exercises on that. Try doing push ups on a stability ball. If you could do 30 with ease, you might be able to get 15 on a stability ball. This will give you the core workout that you are craving. Also do rotational stuff while sitting on the stability ball, and try sit ups. Always fun.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
fantastic info, see this is the stuff I simply don't know. Every time i've tried to read up on work-out stuff on the internet I always get the feeling people are trying to sell me ****, and I'm suspect of the information.

Manimal, thanks for that video, that looks totally do-able and a great place to start. DirtyMike I don't think you're an asshole (not for saying that, at least :weee:) but that really does make a lot of sense.

edit: is there any exercise that does the opposite of a situp? I feel like those muscles need strengthening.
Actually yes. There is a rack/chair made specifically for that. You can do either non supported situps<thatll git yer abs goin. or flip over hanging with your legs parralel to the ground and basically do a reverse situp. I like doing these with a set of ten pound dumbells, lift up then do a lat lift back in then back down.... Works friggin great

EDIT.... here ya go, this is what it looks like

http://www.exercisetrail.com/store/product.php?productid=840

and a littel video

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

google "never gymless"....you should be able to find a pdf to download.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'm down 45 pounds since last summer. 202 in August to 157 now. My normal weight is around 170, so I'm light these days. I decided I wanted to lose the extra pounds, and when I got down to 170 I decided to just keep going. My ride and run times certainly reflect the weight loss, not to mention my wardobe has basically doubled since I can fit into my old clothes again.

It's funny, the wife and I were in Costco not too long ago and bought a 40 pound bag of dog food. The bag was huge. So I picked it up and said "This is what I am not carrying around on my frame anymore."

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Ya'll are a bunch of fatties. 5'9" and 155 and I'm the heaviest/fittest I've ever been. Do you really gain 30-60 lbs with an extra 6" of height? I know I'm on the shorter side but dayum... I couldn't imagine carrying around an extra 50lbs.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
5'11" and 165 lbs.
Trying to get leaner, but not necessarily lighter.

I got up to 175 when I was off the bike for a while, that was too much for me.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
just start with a lighter k-bell....maybe 20lb
From the youtube comments section:

"i bet this guy has no and i mean NO problem&#65279; getting his lawn mower to start."

As for the weight loss thing... I got lazy a few years ago, stopped riding etc. Then I got the bike bug again. Decided to go back to racing, and it has been all the motivation I've needed to stay in shape. 30 lbs off, and has stayed off for 2 years.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ya'll are a bunch of fatties. 5'9" and 155 and I'm the heaviest/fittest I've ever been. Do you really gain 30-60 lbs with an extra 6" of height? I know I'm on the shorter side but dayum... I couldn't imagine carrying around an extra 50lbs.
Im six one, and for me to be at 12 percent body fat I would be around 230, I carry a 44 in chest normally. When I say I am big boned and have alot of muscle mass already..... I mean it. shoulders are 49 cm's across, waste is a 36. Calves are 20 inches around........ so yeah sometimes six inches in height can make all the difference in the world

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Im six one, and for me to be at 12 percent body fat I would be around 230, I carry a 44 in chest normally. When I say I am big boned and have alot of muscle mass already..... I mean it. shoulders are 49 cm's across, waste is a 36. Calves are 20 inches around........ so yeah sometimes six inches in height can make all the difference in the world
I know your idea of six inches is alot different than mine