Quantcast

for BV and the other computer geeks

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
http://www.vox.com/2015/5/30/8689481/margaret-hamilton-apollo-software

Meet Margaret Hamilton, the badass '60s programmer who saved the moon landing

Happy moon landing day! July 20, 2015 marks the 46th anniversary of Apollo 11's arrival on the moon. The lunar lander holding Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin touched down at 4:18 PM eastern, and Armstrong became the first human in history to walk on the lunar surface at 10:56 PM.

Huge amounts of aeronautical and hardware engineering effort went into the Apollo program from its birth in 1961 to its completion in 1972, as NASA and its partners designed the Saturn V rocket to get astronauts out of Earth's orbit, the command/service modules that orbited the moon, and the lunar modules that actually landed on the moon. But Apollo was also a major software project. Astronauts used theApollo Guidance Computer, which was placed in both the command module and the lunar module, for navigation assistance and to control the spacecraft, and someone needed to program it.

The software for the guidance computer was written by a team at the MIT Instrumentation Laboratory (now the Draper Laboratory), headed up by Margaret Hamilton. Here's an amazing picture of her next to the code she and her colleagues wrote for the Apollo 11 guidance computer that made the moon landing possible:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that code supposed to be simple? Like brilliantly simple and robust as a result? That stack of papers does not look simple to a layman such as myself!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that code supposed to be simple? Like brilliantly simple and robust as a result? That stack of papers does not look simple to a layman such as myself!
Its rocket science, man. Simple and robust to a scientist is different than what you and I think of it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
IIRC the lunar mission code and space shuttle missions code were some of the most complicated pieces of software of their time. They also contained some pretty interesting equipment/life loss risking bugs that were discovered way later.

Code was long because it looked like sweater knitting pattern book. :D