Quantcast

For Canadians Only

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I was going to post this on the Eastern and Western Canada forums, but nobody posts there, so...

(Courtesy CanadianCyclist.com)

CCA Establishes Downhill Athlete Development Program
Courtesy CCA

The Canadian Cycling Association has formed a partnership with Chris Colbeck of Whistler, British Columbia, to provide coaching for Canadian national-level Downhill and 4-Cross athletes. The objective of the program will be to increase the number of internationally competitive athletes Canada can field in these disciplines at World Cup and World Championship events.
Chris has brought together a group of top coaches specializing in a variety of key performance areas to work with aspiring Downhill and 4-Cross athletes. Coaches will be available for both Eastern and Western Canadian-based athletes.

This program will cover long-term planning, strength and conditioning, sports psychology, technical, tactical, and World Cup support, and will give the athletes the necessary tools to reach their personal best.

At the first camp for the program, athletes will be introduced to the team of coaches. They will be tested, evaluated and provided with direction and a detailed program. Athletes willing to continue year-round will be given monthly training workouts from each of the coaches for a well-rounded program through the year.

A total 30 athletes will be selected into the program - 15 from Eastern Canada and 15 from Western Canada. Athletes will have to meet the criteria set forth by the Canadian Cycling Association and the coaches. For more information, please contact Chris Colbeck directly at Ccolbeck@STORMBC.com.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I had this idea like 4 years ago....back when I hung out with someone involved in this sort of thing. I was a CSIA ski instructor for a bunch of years. To me it only make sense to do something similar for gravity cycling....They need to come up with a true regimented progression for DH/4x like they do for skiing. It would be more complex than skiing for sure, but the idea is the same.

Furthermore, the coaches should eventually have some degree of certification...like the CSIA has. The quality of coaching would improve I think.... Not that I think there is a problem with it now. I just think that the end result wold be be a larger number of good coaches.