Quantcast

? for car peeps

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Wow, so the cam timing stayed right even after it lost it's balls?
That is the beauty of having that idler on the back side of the system and the auto tensioner took up the slack to keep the belt in place.

Had a subie in the shop about six months ago, came in for an oil change... Pulled it in was making the same whorendous noise as squeeb's.... I asked the customer how long it had been like that... she tells me over a year...... exact same failure.... New timing belt and complete kit and life was good......

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That is the beauty of having that idler on the back side of the system and the auto tensioner took up the slack to keep the belt in place.

Had a subie in the shop about six months ago, came in for an oil change... Pulled it in was making the same whorendous noise as squeeb's.... I asked the customer how long it had been like that... she tells me over a year...... exact same failure.... New timing belt and complete kit and life was good......
How many miles did it have? Ours was at 87550. Subaru claims the belt isn't due til 105000. I'm becoming less impressed with this car as it ages.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Haha that is awesome, do you know if the timing chains on Subies ever give trouble? My old man has an 05H6 and it runs a chain, are there any parts that wear in timing cover like chain guide slide thingies? My car is also chain for the cam drive and it has parts that need to be replaced every 30 000m or so.

Also I'd never leave any timing belt longer than 60 000m, fair enough if it is repaired under warranty, my Volvo had 100 000m change intervals but they used to go bang anywhere after about 70 000m.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
How many miles did it have? Ours was at 87550. Subaru claims the belt isn't due til 105000. I'm becoming less impressed with this car as it ages.
160ish...

Haha that is awesome, do you know if the timing chains on Subies ever give trouble? My old man has an 05H6 and it runs a chain, are there any parts that wear in timing cover like chain guide slide thingies? My car is also chain for the cam drive and it has parts that need to be replaced every 30 000m or so.

Also I'd never leave any timing belt longer than 60 000m, fair enough if it is repaired under warranty, my Volvo had 100 000m change intervals but they used to go bang anywhere after about 70 000m.
No experience on the sbuie timing chains, chains usually do not need any help for the life of the engine.... Usually

As for belts really depends on the engine setup, if its using an auto tensioner than 100K is jsut fine... if a none auto tensioner than usually falls into the 60k catagorie

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
160ish...

No experience on the sbuie timing chains, chains usually do not need any help for the life of the engine.... Usually

As for belts really depends on the engine setup, if its using an auto tensioner than 100K is jsut fine... if a none auto tensioner than usually falls into the 60k catagorie

Timing Chains have gotten very tiny nowadays,I've done several Nissan and Hondas for cam Synch codes this past year,No Subies yet have developed Chain trouble(Most of our customers still on Belt driven Subarus)

Make sure you replace the tensioner too,it'll have a little puddle of oil on the damper.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
160ish...

Wow OK seems 60 000 is the norm here in Australia, the Volvo was auto tensioner but it was still possible to set them incorrectly, still, some Volvo's were getting two sets of front wheel bearings under warranty.......

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Just wait until it blows up next week.

:panic:
I'm becoming less impressed with this car as it ages.
Just got another phone call. Check engine light + flashing cruise light. Interwebz tells me it could be any number of things. Guess in going to the auto parts store after work. There goes my Friday night. I'm ready to get rid of this car. :disgust:

htrdoug

Chimp
Nov 25, 2001
So.Indiana
I have put a crap load of air/fuel ratio sensors in Subaru.Fuel trim will be off,lambda will not pass through 1.0,(Front o2 sensor is a Air/fuel ratio sensor)
AFR sensor gets stupid(Biased is the correct term) and efi corrects to the the wrong air/fuel ratio.
After cat o2 sensor never sees voltage rise,flags code

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You can dump the downpipe O2 sensor with a big ass bolt and a fuse. That go rid of most of my O2 issues. If it's your front, you might need to replace the sensor. Given you car is almost 10 years old, that is a good start, plus they are cheap. www.subaruparts.com or www.subarugenuineparts.com

I can't remember if your car has an up-pipe cat or not, but if it does, you should be replacing it with a no cat pipe. When the front cat starts to break down, bits go into the turbo, which kills the turbo. Definitely worth replacing sooner than later if you have a catted up-pipe.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Are there any car models out there that HAVEN'T been affected by a recall?

I guess this is what happens when you have a moving object that is made up of thousands of smaller objects, which is repeatedly beat on day after day. Shit is gonna break.