Quantcast

For folks who think engines are cool

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I think the rotary was invented by a german engineer who invented the diesel. Think he worked for mercedes, but mazda played a big role in the development of it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider used to have an obsession with RX-7's. Had like 3 of them in various states of disassembly laying around, all of them were organ donors for his SCCA race machine. I bought his house from him, and I still occasionally find rotary engine parts when I'm digging around the garage.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
mack said:
I think the rotary was invented by a german engineer who invented the diesel. Think he worked for mercedes, but mazda played a big role in the development of it.
Sorry dude, Diesel was developed in 1892 by Rudolf Diesel. Wankel was developed in the mid 1500's, although was not successfully tested until 1957 by Felix Wankel. A interesting note was that Wankel's designs promted him to go into Business in the early 70's. In the mid 80's, he was bought out by Diamler Benz, who supported projects until the early 90's. I was how many patents on the Rotary that Diamlzer Benz actually has? Be an interesting search

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
There once was a man named True,
many things about engines he knew!
If it wasn't combustible, he found it untrustable,
stationary objects he would certainly eschew.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Man...I still think Mazda should make a 6 rotor 3.9L unit and throw it in a Miata or something. It would never pass any emmisions, but it'd be freaking cool!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SilentJ said:
Man...I still think Mazda should make a 6 rotor 3.9L unit and throw it in a Miata or something. It would never pass any emmisions, but it'd be freaking cool!
6 rotor?? That motor would weigh a ludicris amount and would never fit in any kind of reasonable sized car. RX7s and RX8s are two rotors, Cosmo's(Japanese market) had 3 rotors and their motor can be shoe horned into a an Rx7. The Mazda 787B Le Mans car, the first japanese car to win the 24 hours, had 4 rotors. Also, the way that displacement is measured on the rotaries is kind of weird, some people think they should be called a 2.6 litre not a 1.3, since the rotor creates two chambers at any one time and 1.3 is the displacemtn for just one of them. This would make your 6 rotor a 7.8 litre, .8 litres bigger than a chevy L7(the new 427 V8 in the Z06 corvette), and just a tad shy of the 8.3 litre engine in the viper. A 4 rotor supercar would be cool, but the market is a tad flooded with supercars these days and Ford (who owns mazda) already has the GT.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I never said it would make any sense or be very practical. You're thinking too logically, yo. How big and heavy is the RX8 engine?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Full Trucker said:
There once was a man named True,
many things about engines he knew!
If it wasn't combustible, he found it untrustable,
stationary objects he would certainly eschew.
There once was a man named Full Trucker,
who brandished a dull oyster shucker.
"I try and I try, but a sad boy am I,
'cause I can't seem to open this f*cker!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SilentJ said:
I never said it would make any sense or be very practical. You're thinking too logically, yo. How big and heavy is the RX8 engine?
Thats a good question, I'm not entirely sure. It's bigger and heavier than you would think for being a 1.3 litre, I would imagine it's probably a comprable weight to a larger 4 cyl with an aluminum block.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
one of my buddies had an rx7 and while it was cool he blew 2 engines before selling it. his was pushing mad horse power though and with those engines if you have one missfire or run to lean the engine is peaced out

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
TheInedibleHulk said:
Thats a good question, I'm not entirely sure. It's bigger and heavier than you would think for being a 1.3 litre, I would imagine it's probably a comprable weight to a larger 4 cyl with an aluminum block.
Finally found it HERE!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
mack said:
Rudolph Diesel, maybe? :p

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
dexter said:
one of my buddies had an rx7 and while it was cool he blew 2 engines before selling it. his was pushing mad horse power though and with those engines if you have one missfire or run to lean the engine is peaced out
The third gen RX7 is one finicky turd. Gorgeous car and lighteight, but you got be willing to commit alot of time and very careful tuning.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
H8R said:
There once was a man named Full Trucker,
who brandished a dull oyster shucker.
"I try and I try, but a sad boy am I,
'cause I can't seem to open this f*cker!
There once was a man known as H8R
Who was always pissed off like Darth Vader
Not much in a fight, but man could he write
Too bad his head was shaped like a tater.

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Thanks for sharing the info, I've never really dug really deep into the 6-stroke thing. Only remember it b/c I know Ducatti had a working prototype in a ~1000 cc road bike going for a while

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
One of the professors at a local college here. Was the one who designed the Mazada Tri-rotor Lemans engine. He teaches Industrial Design, and car concepting.

Rotarys are cool. Wankel was the german man who invented it, I w It wasnt for 30 or so years later that there was an actual working prototype.

Some cool things on a rotary engine... Much smaller/quiter/smoother, than an internal combustion engine. They have the possiblity of inifity RPMs. B/c there is no stop start process... There is only so hard you can push and piston/rod motor. The Rotary motors will keep making power right up untill they explode.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
That six stroke is very much like a Bristol Centarious sleeve valve radial engine used in a Hawker Sea Fury a fighter plane developed by the british after WWII.