Quantcast

For once, Skookum was right, kinda

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Today I went on a ride on Galbraith after school. Darren wanted Jim to check out Chainsaw Massacre. I decided to go ride it today to see what might be done with it. All I have to say is wow, when Skookum said it was the worst trail on the hill he wasnt joking.... Who led that ride??? That trail:
1. twists and turns, with steep up and downhills
2. is a long trail that gets you nowhere because of all the twists
3. is a motorcycle made trail for sure
4. seems pretty pointless to fix up, unless we want to do a ton of work on a trail that connects to nothing

Unless I have a very good reason I am never going on that trail again. Only the first half of it as I see it is an ok trail, but it still gets you nowhere important.

So, Skookum was right about something, good for him! :dancing: Now that I promise I will never lead a ride on that trail, it is safe to come and ride with me. We need to plan a Galby ride for the late spring/early summer sometime soon. That last big one was fun.

Anyone else have any ridiculous trails like that around them?

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
dwaugh said:
Today I went on a ride on Galbraith after school. Darren wanted Jim to check out Chainsaw Massacre. I decided to go ride it today to see what might be done with it. All I have to say is wow, when Skookum said it was the worst trail on the hill he wasnt joking.... Who led that ride??? That trail:
4. seems pretty pointless to fix up, unless we want to do a ton of work on a trail that connects to nothing

Unless I have a very good reason I am never going on that trail again. Only the first half of it as I see it is an ok trail, but it still gets you nowhere important.

So, Skookum was right about something, good for him! :dancing: Now that I promise I will never lead a ride on that trail, it is safe to come and ride with me. We need to plan a Galby ride for the late spring/early summer sometime soon. That last big one was fun.

SKOOKUM is WISE beyond HIS years :sneaky:

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
"Only the first half of it as I see it is an ok trail, but it still gets you nowhere important."

Oh young one. It 's not about the destination but about the journey getting there.

There are many trails that "go nowhere" that rule. Sounds like a great trail. Long, with lots of ups and downs is good.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Borneo said:
Oh young one. It 's not about the destination but about the journey getting there.

There are many trails that "go nowhere" that rule. Sounds like a great trail. Long, with lots of ups and downs is good.
it's definately meant for practicing climbing.... The corners are so sharp you cannot carry any real speed around the bottom corners. So yah it sucks, but the beauty of Galbraith is that it has something for everyone. Enjoy the Texas Chainsaw Massacre when you're up there Borneo. :p

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
dwaugh said:

haha! I think Ethan rode that trail the first time he rode up there. In fact, I think Skook might have been with on that ride...Not sure though! Anyways...Ethan hated it and said he'd never do that one again.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Borneo said:
"Only the first half of it as I see it is an ok trail, but it still gets you nowhere important."

Yeah, but some of the downs are so rutted and steep that you can hardly ride down them, mainly becasue of the steepness and the fact there is a corner at the bottom. Some of the ups are so bad after the corners that I cant really see anyone riding up all of them.
The worst part of the trail goes like this a few times in a row:
Hill going down, sharp corner, steep up. When you get to the top of the hill you just went down you are about 30-40 feet from where you started. :think:
The first part of the trail is only moderate ups and downs, and nothing that is impossible to ride. I guess it does get you to a nice viewpoint, but thats all.

If you are looking for a good workout of biking and walking up steep hills, go ride this trail, and I bet you'll never do the last part of it again. There are trails considered bad that are MUCH better. :rolleyes:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Dont let this get any further than this forum but I have good information that Chainsaw Massacre was put in by a sadist who rides with a mountain bike club called the wimps or something like that. Anyway this particularly sadistic person meets his victims in this "wimpy" club. He likes to sucker them in with a couple of easy rides, then one day he gets as many guys and gals together and takes them to Chainsaw and watches in great glee as they crash and totally ruin there bikes. He likes to shoot video and after rides he sits at home and relives all the crashes. He actually gets more pleasure out of bikes getting wrecked than people getting hurt. Sometimes he goes back to Chainsaw by himself. If you see him there he will have a big smile on his face.