Quantcast

For the 888 owners...I don't know if you ever saw this...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I did a search and I don't think it ever came up in this forum: http://www.risseracing.com/888.htm

They have their own set of 888 crowns. They look a little bit thinner than the go-ride ones but I'm sure they do the job. No price is mentioned.

If it's already been mentioned here...well then shoot me. ;)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by S.G.D
whats the deal with all the crowns for the 888?

whats wrong with the original crowns?

~SGD
SGD, those crowns have been the talk of the town...for a lot of bikes, the stock 888 crowns jack up the front end of your bike a little too much. I can only imagine what it would do your your 223.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
These guys put an 888 on a 4" travel FSR-max frame...

The question is, how stoned were they, stoned enough that the product is decent? Or so stoned that they had no idea about both the bike and the crowns...?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Kanter
They should be fairly inexpensive as the steer tube doesn't look pressed in. It looks like there is a pinch bolt on the bottom crown. I dont know if I like that idea or not.

http://www.risseracing.com/888/3.jpg

http://www.risseracing.com/888/5.jpg

Wouldn't it still need to be pressed though? Are there any other forks or crowns that do this?
I like the bolt on steerers, cheeper to replace if its cut to short, and it doesn't have to be pressed in.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I like the bolt on steerers, cheeper to replace if its cut to short, and it doesn't have to be pressed in.
You can also use them to remove the crown race by loosening the steerer-pinch bolt, tightening the leg-pinch bolts, turning it upside down, and giving it a few good hits. Best way to remove a crown race IMO.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Jm_
You can also use them to remove the crown race by loosening the steerer-pinch bolt, tightening the leg-pinch bolts, turning it upside down, and giving it a few good hits. Best way to remove a crown race IMO.
Thats the way I do it, works like a charm:thumb: But I just use a rubber mallet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Jm_
The question is, how stoned were they, stoned enough that the product is decent? Or so stoned that they had no idea about both the bike and the crowns...?
I would never buy a product from Risse, based strictly on the number of people who have commented how much weed they smoke on the job.

I have not a single thing against getting stoned, but nobody intelligent would actually think you can function at full capacity when high. And creating structural bike components requires, in my opinion, that they be functioning at full capacity.

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
The whole drop-crown thing is overrated...the fork is fine...I think most people buy the GR crowns on hype...yes the fork is tall..but its fine...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by binary visions

I have not a single thing against getting stoned, but nobody intelligent would actually think you can function at full capacity when high. And creating structural bike components requires, in my opinion, that they be functioning at full capacity.
I agree...although machines are what makes those crowns.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
I agree...although machines are what makes those crowns.
I'm not talking about the quality of the part the machine spits out, I'm talking about design work. FEA, specifically, to make sure the damn thing isn't going to crack halfway through the Yard Sale at Mt. Snow.

For all I know, this was a stoned idea on a Saturday afternoon where someone said "Well, if we take a quarter inch thick piece of aluminum and machine 3 holes in it, we can lower this baby two inches!" ...5 minutes later... "I just placed an order for a thousand. Do you think that's enough? And a large pizza."

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by one7one
The whole drop-crown thing is overrated...the fork is fine...I think most people buy the GR crowns on hype...yes the fork is tall..but its fine...
It won't work any different with the new crowns.....the stock crowns jus lack the adjustablility to lower the front end when you don't plan on running big tires. It is senseless to run a fork higher than needed so some people. It is an adjustiblity issue....some people would like the bike lower in the front. The crowns addressed their concerns. Does the work go up and down better? No. Does the bike handle differently since they can lower it past stock? Yes. Is this important to many people? Seems to be.

Is it "hype"? No.

Rhino

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by binary visions
I'm not talking about the quality of the part the machine spits out, I'm talking about design work. FEA, specifically, to make sure the damn thing isn't going to crack halfway through the Yard Sale at Mt. Snow.

For all I know, this was a stoned idea on a Saturday afternoon where someone said "Well, if we take a quarter inch thick piece of aluminum and machine 3 holes in it, we can lower this baby two inches!" ...5 minutes later... "I just placed an order for a thousand. Do you think that's enough? And a large pizza."

You forgot the part about putting the 888 on a 4" travel XC bike. :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
From the bottom of my heart, thank you Binary for "fing". I will carry that with me till my dying days.:p

I've seen most of Risse's machined aftermarket stuff and there's nothing wrong with it. I've got an FSR seatstay on my jump bike and it helped eliminate the horrendous flex and dumb disc brake adapter the older bikes used to have. The links they make for the FSRxc bikes are well done. Even the funky bolt/press fit junctions they use are actually really solid.

Given, the lassen bike is pretty uh entertaining to say the least and I've definately experienced their line of damp free, oil free shocks........but they do a good job with machining hunks of aluminum.

I do like the bolt on steerer. After seeing what people had to deal with last year with marzocchi forks and what they had to buy just to get a longer steerer tube or replace a scratched stantion, interchangability is good.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Originally posted by kidwoo
I do like the bolt on steerer. After seeing what people had to deal with last year with marzocchi forks and what they had to buy just to get a longer steerer tube or replace a scratched stantion, interchangability is good.
Bolt on steer tubes rock for the ease of removing the crown race. If your not a complete stoner and keep things tight and properly setup the bolted steerer works. My noleen DH fork is that way.

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by RhinofromWA
It won't work any different with the new crowns.....the stock crowns jus lack the adjustablility to lower the front end when you don't plan on running big tires. It is senseless to run a fork higher than needed so some people. It is an adjustiblity issue....some people would like the bike lower in the front. The crowns addressed their concerns. Does the work go up and down better? No. Does the bike handle differently since they can lower it past stock? Yes. Is this important to many people? Seems to be.

Is it "hype"? No.

Rhino
Rhino,
I think the hype factor comes from people reading about the crowns on the net and deciding they need them..... Before they have even ridden the bike with the stock set up.

Example:

Racer: "I was reading about the GR crowns online... Should I get them?"

Me: "Have you ridden the bike yet?"

Racer: "No, there is 4 feet of snow on the ground here. But everybody seems to think I need them."

Me: "Ride your bike with the stock set up first. Then decide if you need to change the crowns."

Everybody is different. I have two customers with V-10s. One loves the 888, the other is looking into the GR crown. I just rode a V-10 with an 8in 888 and the new drop crown to accomodate longer headtubes and didn't find the HA to be nearly as slack as I hear people say on line. I would like to know how many of the people here who are going on about how every 888 owner needs new crowns 1) Own an 888 themselves, 2) have ridden an 888, or 3) just go off of numbers found on the net, forgetting that you don't ride with the fork at full extention.

Brian

Spec8in561

Monkey
Mar 12, 2004
Perfectly said..I talk to people who are ordering the crowns b4 they get the fork...good thing GR has ..I am sure some people will lvoe them..but I feel a good deal can do without them as well..

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
Rhino,
I think the hype factor comes from people reading about the crowns on the net and deciding they need them..... Before they have even ridden the bike with the stock set up.

Example:

Racer: "I was reading about the GR crowns online... Should I get them?"

Me: "Have you ridden the bike yet?"

Racer: "No, there is 4 feet of snow on the ground here. But everybody seems to think I need them."

Me: "Ride your bike with the stock set up first. Then decide if you need to change the crowns."

Everybody is different. I have two customers with V-10s. One loves the 888, the other is looking into the GR crown. I just rode a V-10 with an 8in 888 and the new drop crown to accomodate longer headtubes and didn't find the HA to be nearly as slack as I hear people say on line. I would like to know how many of the people here who are going on about how every 888 owner needs new crowns 1) Own an 888 themselves, 2) have ridden an 888, or 3) just go off of numbers found on the net, forgetting that you don't ride with the fork at full extention.

Brian
That is true. BUT if the fork in question give an inch or so of clearance with smaller tires at full compression that can't be adjusted for than that is the issue. It can be lower, it can be adjusted for but not with the stock crowns....from my understanding.

The fact they couldn't be adjusted was the main beef as I took it. Not the forks ride or quality. Just that it couldn't be lowered even if there was more clearance between the crown and the tire. The crown simply hit the seals. Some people would like a 8 inch fork and still have it as low as possible. The GR crowns addressed that issue for them. It isn't an issue for everyone but I can't think of a time I wished my bike was more raked out than needed since my GT LTS had a 1997 (or was it 98?) z-1 on it and I rode like a dork...unlike the skillfull rider I am today. :rolleyes: :D

Hell what do I know I ride a 2003 Boxxer Race! ;) (shameless personal pic from first race this year)

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
On tons fo bikes, the stock 888 is just fine, on some the go-ride crowns are a very nice addition.

Seems the marzocchi crowns are made more for looks (with that big fancy M on them and all) and the go-ride and possibally the risse crowns are made for preformance/adjustibility :)

The risse crowns look alright, I know nothing about that company, so ill leave it at that.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Originally posted by oly
Bolt on steer tubes rock for the ease of removing the crown race. If your not a complete stoner and keep things tight and properly setup the bolted steerer works. My noleen DH fork is that way.
Yep, also, remember that there is very little/no stress on the steer tube of a tripple clamp fork. This is why companies like avalanche can get away with their style of steerer.

Sep 10, 2001
The fork was made to clear a 3.0 tire.... That's the reason for the extra height.... We could have lowered it like a Shiver and spend all day dealing with people being upset that they can't run a 3.0 tire on a "freeride" fork. Damned if you do, damned if you don't... We will never please everbody with one product.

Brian

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Damned if you do, damned if you don't... We will never please everbody with one product.

Brian
Thats a great statement. No matter what you do there will always be people bitching about it somewhere.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
The fork was made to clear a 3.0 tire.... That's the reason for the extra height.... We could have lowered it like a Shiver and spend all day dealing with people being upset that they can't run a 3.0 tire on a "freeride" fork. Damned if you do, damned if you don't... We will never please everbody with one product.

Brian
I agree...I can see why the "lawyer tabs" were designed into the fork. So someone with little thought about clearance didn't drop it to low and cause a crash when running a 3 inch tire. I can totally see why it was there.

The people who buy/need/desire the aftermarket crowns are aware of the clearance issue. Aftermarket crowns are nothing new....MX has had them forever...alot more so now. The 888 is a good fork. I have contemplated buying one recently.

But I went and bought an engagement ring instead....viva la Boxxer Race....I will need it for a while. :)

Sep 10, 2001
I am not questioning the quality of the go-ride product... And yes, Scott, Krispy and the rest of the guys there are very cool. Just pointing out that you ride the product before you start spending more $$$ on it.

Brian

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Risse has been building forks much longer than the guys @ GR, I think there crown/steerer looks fine to me. Plus I don't think thats a fair statement to make unless you have one in each hand. I can tell you already, I prefer the bolt on steerer is over the pressed one.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I am not questioning the quality of the go-ride product... And yes, Scott, Krispy and the rest of the guys there are very cool. Just pointing out that you ride the product before you start spending more $$$ on it.

Brian
Brian, just so you know I'm running my 888 with the factory crowns and am very happy with it. Feels perfect to me, I think alot of people are in shock going to an 8" fork from a 7" fork.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC

Brian
Not tryin to side one way or the other here, but FWIW, the Go-ride crowns also clear a 3.0 and obviously do away with all the height - that's what people are upset about, that it doesn't have to be "THAT" tall to clear a 3.0, etc etc...

Anyway, the 7" version kills everything so it's something of a moot point. You want an extra inch of travel, you get extra height. End of story.

Sep 10, 2001
I still want to see that.... Only because I am told there is only mm's to spare with the stock crowns set in the lowest position... But I don't typically run anything bigger than a 2.5, so I am not concerned about the 3.0 thing myself....

Brian